Simple PRG-40 G10/Nato Mod

Thread: Simple PRG-40 G10/Nato Mod

Simple PRG-40 G10/Nato Mod

So as we know, the big problem with the PRG-40 is the comfort of the strap! Unable to sleep and pondering the problem, I realised that one can simply cut holes in the nylon to pass the strap bars through, providing the strap is wide enough. So I took a lonely looking 24mm bond G10alike and set about on it, carefully, with a knife.

The result is perhaps not ideal, as I'm sure the strap will eventually fray around the holes, but I'm pleased with it: It's solid, looks good and feels comfortable. Additionally, I like how the watch will sit flat when face up.

Here are a few pics:

And yes, I do know that one of the bars isn't fully screwed together ;)
    Last edited by rogerlike; March 17th, 2011 at 06:20.

Re: Simple PRG-40 G10/Nato Mod

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlike View Post
    The result is perhaps not ideal, as I'm sure the strap will eventually fray around the holes, but I'm pleased with it: It's solid, looks good and feels comfortable. Additionally, I like how the watch will sit flat when face up.
    Your mod looks nice. Like the color match.

I did the same on my mod to cut in the strap just to fit the bar in. Then I used a tip of a soldering iron to touch lightly around the cut. The heat from iron just melt the nylon and harden the hole edges.

Pretty cool idea~How's the mod holding up so far?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It´s quite easy to take the original textile strap, cut it off the ends and voila you´ve got a set of adaprors. But yours is a nice mod when you have no extra material to work with. The Nato strap is a 24mm, isn´t it?

Cheers for the acknowledgements :)

Yea, the strap is 24mm wide. Anything narrower is too narrow and I'm not sure if 26mm Nato-a-likes are even available.

I was about to sell the PRG-40, since I found the strap so uncomfortable. Now the love has returned!

Way south of the border by way of the Equator, in Niteroi - next to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!

Speaking about the eventual fraying of the strap around the holes, why not punch them out and/or burning them through? BTW, thank you for the input and pics - I have a DW9900 Frog that is just begging for such a mod!
    Cheers,

Marcello GT
    ---------------

From top to bottom, we are now @ 14270 meters deep in watches and still counting!

Thread Information