Singularity of purpose... I often just need the time.
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Singularity of purpose... I often just need the time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Singularity of purpose... I often just need the time.

Today, I wore a watch that's been off my rotation radar for ages. It's an Invicta, with a good quality Seiko automatic movement, 300m WR, and here's the thing. All it does is tell the time. Now my daily wearer is a GWG1000 which I love. It's big, rugged, and has more bells & whistles than I use, and there in lies my dilemma. I mainly use it to tell the time. When I 1st got it, yes, I use to use the compass daily, in case I got lost at the local shopping mall, and the barometer, in case I needed to know if it was raining outside rather than looking out the window.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of you outdoor types where this kind of functionality is a life saver, but I'm an city slicker, and basically need to know the time. Today was a reminder that my faithful Invicta did that just admirably. I love my G Shocks, but sometimes, there is a place for an item to offer 'singularity of purpose', and telling the time is the single most useful function I desire in a watch.

Name:  watch comparison.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  206.2 KB
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Re: Singularity of purpose... I often just need the time.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Today, I wore a watch that's been off my rotation radar for ages. It's an Invicta, with a good quality Seiko automatic movement, 300m WR, and here's the thing. All it does is tell the time. Now my daily wearer is a GWG1000 which I love. It's big, rugged, and has more bells & whistles than I use, and there in lies my dilemma. I mainly use it to tell the time. When I 1st got it, yes, I use to use the compass daily, in case I got lost at the local shopping mall, and the barometer, in case I needed to know if it was raining outside rather than looking out the window.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of you outdoor types where this kind of functionality is a life saver, but I'm an city slicker, and basically need to know the time. Today was a reminder that my faithful Invicta did that just admirably. I love my G Shocks, but sometimes, there is a place for an item to offer 'singularity of purpose', and telling the time is the single most useful function I desire in a watch.

Name:  watch comparison.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  206.2 KB
    Problem is, the g shock tells time much better, if being exact matters. The invicta has the nh35 (4r35) movement, correct? A good movement (I have a couple of Seikos with it), but is still far less accurate than even the crapiest quartz (which the g shock certainly is not).

As a side note, I hate the cyclops look, so I vote for the G shock all the way, lol.
    memento_mori, Dxnnis and ben2talk like this.

Two very nice watches.. Wear in good health!
    I have a similar story about my Invicta, I got mine to do experiments in "forced patina"..a singular purpose. Well I achieved the look I wanted and now I find this baby on my wrist more often than not.. I love it it also has a Seiko movement! Nh35 And it actually keeps time well with all my MB6! Casios I'm very happy with the accuracy

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Slm643; July 13th, 2019 at 18:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, mine is an NH35a movement, and it's accurate to about 6 seconds/day. But to be quoting the accuracy of a mechanical movement is to miss the point. Many of my 'Gs' are atomic, so for all intents & purposes are 100% accurate. But to look at my watch movement in action through the glass watch back. just evokes an age when man was still conquering machine.

I'm guessing (though I don't own one) it's the same as driving a new car off the factory floor, and having a vintage 'E' type Jag in your garage. They are different, and sometimes when you just want to drive, without ABS braked, LED lights, radar lane assist, Bluetooth connectivity etc etc, the 'E' type will win every time!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

XKE?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    filcord likes this.

My bedtime watch is a Marathon field. Same movement I believe as the Invicta. Hacks, handwinds, not date, but the combo tritium tubes means visible at all hours. :) I find myself wearing it even throughout the day on many days too and serves me well. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

This thread has taken an awfully funny turn, one which I obviously started being clumsy in my opening thread LOL

I was trying to say that many of us have one of these...

Name:  huntsman-red-swiss-army-knife-02.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  71.0 KB

When very often,one of these will be more than sufficient...

Name:  screwdriver.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  4.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    XKE?
    LOL, here in the UK, where it was designed and built, it's an 'E' type Jag...

Name:  E type jag.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  116.2 KB

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Yes, i feel the same with my watches, too.
    Too much functions i never need.
    Sometimes i use those functions to kill boredom in a office meeting, though. :D

And Casio has the ultimate tell the time tool, too!!

Quartz accuracy and a decent backlight. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    LOL, here in the UK, where it was designed and built, it's an 'E' type Jag...

Name:  E type jag.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  116.2 KB
    Yep that's the one! Back in early 70s!
    My brother and I were were always going between this and a Mustang & Stingray!
    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    babyivan likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information