Skycockpit!
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Skycockpit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LUW

Cool Skycockpit!

The GW-A1000-1AER is a double first for me. In first place it's my first analog G, and in second place, this is the first time I get a model as soon as it was released. I'm usually (way) slower when it comes to buying new releases . But as luck would have it, my parents were in Italy and France this month, and they more then kindly went out of their way to buy me one in a small store in Bologna (thanks mom & dad! ).

A-W-E-S-O-M-E ! That's the best way to describe it in one word. I knew what to expect from all the photos I saw, but I honestly was surprised at how nice the watch is. It's VERY different from anything I have from Casio, and it could have fooled me if I didn't know better and someone said it was from another brand. I'm so used to seeing rugged digitals from them that a rugged analogue is something out of this world.

The build quality is impressive, you can see it's not your "ordinary" G-Shock. I was very impressed to see how well made the thing is. However, I'm sorry to say that, as expected, the lume is poor . Not piss poor, but poor. For those who say "it's ok", I have to think you never saw the lume of a Seiko Sumo or Samurai at 5am, where you can easily read the dial. Not that I can't read the dial on my A1000 at 5am, but only with difficulty.

One thing that was totally news to me was that it's made in Japan. I don't know why but I was certain it was from Thailand or at least China - I have (or had) the idea that only screw backs come from Japan nowadays. And speaking of case back, this is the first watch I've seen (ever!) with the button functions written on the case back .

Like most G-Shocks, it's a very comfortable watch to wear, weighing just 86 g and with 53.6 mm of diameter (16.7 mm high). The strap is very pliable (reminds me of the strap on my Riseman) and for a special touch, the keeper is metal .

And what about the module? Well, a way to describe the 5240 is using the term complicated . It's totally different from anything else I have, and the first G-Shock I have that I had to actually RTFM to set the watch. It has all the basic functions, ie, alarm (no snooze), CT, SW and WT, but obviously none display HT. It also gives you temperature (totally incorrect, as we all know) and is Multiband 6, which for me unhappily is pearls to pigs . ALL the functions are cumbersome to use, and ALL (with the exception of the alarm) demand a certain degree of interpretation, something totally different of what you're used to with digitals.

I'm over the moon with the watch, but what didn't I like about it?
    • Complex module to operate basic functions.
    • Fairly complicate to set the time, or at least, not easy as with normal Gs.
    • Button labels on the back - an issue because the operation is not intuitive even for a long time G user.
    • Poor lume.
    • It doesn't beep - I know it's an analogue, but since it has an alarm I was hoping it also had hourly beeps .

Was it worth the €449,00? You betcha ! This is one of the few G-Shocks that I think is both a great buy for the collector and for the normal not-watch geek human being. The technology behind it is outstanding, it's a true water divider for Casio, and if you add the fact that it can withstand a nuclear hit, that means it's a GREAT watch. Besides, it looks subzero cool !

The Skycockpit shot.

But right when I got back home, look what's up in the air!
    jun0, Joakim Agren, JonL and 18 others like this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: Skycockpit!

That looks fantastic. I am waiting on local shops to get them in before I pick one up. I have been actively looking and have yet to turn up one. I am too impatient to wait for one from Japan nor do I want to overpay for one.
    My Collection
    Citizen: Skyhawk Blue Angels Edition
    Nixon: 51-30 Chrono
    G-Shock: DW-6900 x3, DW-6930 (Basel) x1,G-001 x1, GA-100 x2, GA-110 x16 (2 Collabs: Maharishi & Eric Haze), GD-350 x2, GDF-100 x1, GD-X6900 x2, GR-7900 x1, GW-5510 x1, GX56 x2, Riseman G-9200 x2, Mudman G-9300 x2, G-9330 (Rising Red) x1, GW-9330 (Initial Blue) x1, Frogman GF-1000 x1, Gravity Defier GW-A1000 x2, GW-A1100 x1

Awesome pickup, I was beginning to wonder if your family had found one. The stopwatch on this must be awesome since it uses the big hands. I wanted this since it came out, but the size has put me off, at least, until I see one up close.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow - congrats! It certainly looks great, and even better on the wrist! Enjoy this one!

Congrats LUW! I still think that is the best looking of the 1000 aviators. Glad you are enjoying it. :beer:
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

LUW

Thanks guys !
    It's an impressive watch, and as I said, something totally out of the norm for a G-Shock. The SW is fantastic to see in action, and if you're timing anything for less then an hour it's great. But for longer times it gets "complicated' to read, as most functions of the watch. In terms of size, though on paper it looks big, being uniformly round, it's really not humongous on the wrist. Think of a big auto diver, like a Seiko Sumo or BFK or an Orient O300, and that's basically how big it looks.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I am going to have to go try one at a store because it does look amazing.

This watch looks transformer-ish to me, very cool!

Great review on an great watch! Congrats.

LUW

Thank you gents!
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information