Sleep mode feature on non solar G's

Thread: Sleep mode feature on non solar G's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sleep mode feature on non solar G's

Hi guys,

I have been reading many threads about tough solar lately.

My personal experience: batteries on G's keep running for many many years. Much more than expected and much more than they are supposed to last according to manuals and specifications. Specially if you don't abuse the light and the alarms. In short: I don't care about solar and I don't like to check my G's from time to time to see if they gone from H to L. I can change a battery in like 10 minutes.

BUT...

Would'nt it be great if non solar modules would include a manually activated "Sleep mode" that switched off the display?

This way, we could save battery during long periods while not wearing our G's.

Just an idea...

Cheers,

G.

Re: Sleep mode feature on non solar G's

Well it's not a new idea, Casio did experiment with this on several solar models. I have the G-7000, and the G-2300 and they all have this function, there may be more models but these are the only ones I have. You hold down the mode button for a couple of seconds to enter sleep mode and the watch basically turns off, it looks like a dead watch but keeps time. When you come to use it again you press any button and it jumps back to life again. It was a cool feature but Casio then came up with the more modern automatic power save mode which turns off when it's in the dark (or under a sleeve) and springs back to life when it detects light and in some cases if it detects movement. I prefer the old system, I love being able to turn a digital watch off.

That's interesting, Dobber. Didn't know about that, thanks for the info.

However, both models are solar, aren't they? I'm talking about this function for non solar G's (like basic DW-6900)...

Cheers,

G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by godizded View Post
    That's interesting, Dobber. Didn't know about that, thanks for the info.

However, both models are solar, aren't they? I'm talking about this function for non solar G's (like basic DW-6900)...

Cheers,

G.
    They obviously think that the battery life is enough for most people on non solar models. I agree with you it would be a nice feature to put it in a drawer for a year, take it out and know it was same battery power as when you put it in there. I guess Casio would rather you wear the watch than stick it in a drawer, weird really when it seems these days they want you to buy more than one G-Shock.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

No sure if that is a plausible explanation, but non-used batteries sometimes leak and therefore could destroy the watch electronics. So it is maybe possible that Casio don't do it to prevent such an incident. I also believe that a watch which only keeps time but no other functions are used only requires very little power, so it is probably simply not worth to incorporate a power off feature.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

CASIO doesn't want you to conserve the battery on your non-solar G-Shock, least of all by providing a feature that helps you do this. Why? Because they want to encourage you to go solar, and spend more money. Simple as that.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I don't think the powersafe mode is very useful anyway - how much power does the LCD need after all? - I turn if off most of the time, so why put one in a non-solar watch when I don't even like it on the solar ones?

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ Why don't you like it? Is it the time it takes for the watch to wake up, or that some of the G-Shock solar watches you have don't easily wake up if the ambient light is faint?
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I don't like it when it falls asleep on my wrist while watching a movie in the dimly lit living room (one of my favourite pastimes) and I don't like it when I wake up in the morning or I wanna check the time at night and have to press the light button twice - once to wake it up - second time to illuminate the dial.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Yeah, probably this option wouldn't be too useful if you only have a watch or two and keep 'em in rotation.

But I think about the dozens of G's I keep in the drawer, all of them draining the battery little by little and... well, we watch collectors sure would appreciate it. : )

Cheers,

G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information