Slightly OT:How far do you go with your dressy watch?

Thread: Slightly OT:How far do you go with your dressy watch?

Slightly OT:How far do you go with your dressy watch?

I have a question for all of you who have one or more dressy watches.

How far do you go with them?

Do you dare swimming with tham?
    Biking?
    How about wearing one with jeans?

We discussed often if G can be dressy but as a friday break I decided to ask an oposite question.

I'm not big into dressy watches, actually I have only one. I've worn it in every ocasion that I can think of except diving (I don't dive).

Curious to see how far do dare going with yours.

Cheers

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Re: Slightly OT:How far do you go with your dressy watch?

My dressiest (and most expensive) watch is a Wempe Zeitmeister. I wouldn't swim with it - but I don't swim. I probably would bike with it - but I don't bike. I would, and do, wear it with jeans. I haven't got a watch that I wouldn't wear with anything, possibly because I don't like watches that are only fit for one thing.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

My dressiest watch is probably my Stowa Marine Original. Visually I'd wear it with any outfit, but I do baby it a little if I think it might be in danger! Thus I'd not wear it for sports, in the shower, in bed, or even preparing food or washing up. With a watch like this I don't subscribe to the "scratches give it character" philosophy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wont own a watch I cant wear with confidence.

That said, I usually dont do crazy things with my Hammy chrono (I suppose its my "dressiest") because I usually want to wear one of my G's or Suuntos.

That said, if I HAD to... I could and would do about anything in all of my watches.

Thats my one thing... my watches have to be tough. Period. Some of my watches are a little nicer (Tissot, Hamilton's, Seiko's, Citizens).. but again, even those are tough.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

I dont hesitat to go swimming with my dressy watches.
    I dont own watches which are not water resist.

But:
    - i dont like scratches on the crystal, so i dont use my dressier watches during dirty work
    - i dont go swim with leather straps because until now all "water resistant" claims on such straps were marketing lies.

Banned

The OP's watch is dressier than a G-Shock but almost anything would be. Overall that is not a dressy watch but clearly a sports watch. In a not entirely formal situation it may work with a suit but that's how far I'd go with it.

My two dressiest watches are a Cartier Montre 21 on a brown croco strap. I can wear that with a suit in the daytime. Because of the strap and the flatness of the watch (4mm or so) no sports at all with it.

My other dressy watch is a JLC Master Date currently on its original bracelet. I wouldn't take it swimming but if I fell into the pool I wouldn't be worried. It's tested to 80m and specified to 50m. I do wear it with jeans from time to time.

I also have a Breitling Aerospace (old series) on a metal bracelet. Blue dial. Only two hands and two LCD displays that can be turned off. 42mm diameter and just 10mm thin. This thing goes with a suit during the day or any casual wear. Very universal watch. I have worn it for swimming in the lake many times. No problem.

Till

I've got a (Dressy)Gold Citizen Eco-Drive that I would do anything with but I have other watches more suitable for work,play etc.., but then that is why we are here..We have lots of watches...

I have some halfway expensive sporty mechanicals/automatics (a Bulgari Aluminum mechanical on a rubber strap, couple of Omega Speedmasters, one old Seamaster, an Omega Dynamic (from the 90's); a Tag-Heuer Carrera, etc.). I have varioius HEQ's as well -- my favorite being two Tag Formula One Chronos. They're not classic "dress" watches -- though they became perfectly acceptable business attire in the 90's/00's as those watches -- and higher end models like Rolex Subs -- became fashionable with suits and with "business casual".

I have two real gold "dress" watches that I can think of -- my dad's old Longines from the 40's and a Tiffany watch from the 90's.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't swim or play sports with any of them -- whether they can take it or not. Just no need to do so. That's what my G's and Timexes are for.

In my view, I can and do wear any of them with casual clothes and jeans (the gold ones less so, though, because I don't think they look as good).

My watch passions tend to run in cycles, as many others have mentioned on this forum. So the wheel may turn again. But, I can say that for the past several years, except for the Speedmasters, the Omega Dynamic and a Precista PR-53 (another "pilot" style watch), none of these watches has gotten much wrist time at all. G-Shocks/Pathfinders/ProTreks have gotten the bulk of my wrist time, Seiko and Citizen divers get their fair share and Timex gets some time too.

I'm about to move to more formal office space, so perhaps I will inspired to wear some more traditional choices in that environment. We shall see.

Maybe it's a young and hip (or poor ) person thing, but I wouldn't mind wearing any watch with jeans. I think you can dress down with any watch. I do find myself gravitating for my dressier watches when I am wearing a suit or more formal attire; especially if it is for an interview or family event.

But sometimes sporty and a suit go hand-in-hand. Hence Rolex or Omega...but any sporty diver all the way down to a Seiko, Citizen or Orient would work.

As far as biking goes, I would only bike in a G-shock I had no issue ruining. For reference I am reminded of that guy who claimed to have busted his PAM while biking.

For swimming, that would hinge on the WR. Since a lot of dress watches carry a WR of 50~100m I definitely would not swim with them. Probably would not even bother showering with them either. If it is a dress watch (non-diver) it probably does not have the gaskets to really protect it, so why risk it? That's what Gs are for.
    I Am Jack's Colon

Thread Information