So I went to the shop to buy a Rangeman, and then...
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: So I went to the shop to buy a Rangeman, and then...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up So I went to the shop to buy a Rangeman, and then...

Hi all

The idea was to buy a Rangeman as an ideal holiday watch. My daily watches are mainly diver watches and various automatic models. I do have an older analog Protrek but for holiday I wanted all digital (for general sturdiness), and ideally with more functionality than my current only all digital watch, the G9300 Mudman.

First impression of the Rangeman was very positive, it feels more upmarket than most G-Shocks, and I did like the textured buttons.
    Then I saw THIS in the shop for only a bit more money:

This is the Pro-Trek PRW-3000-T7, the one with a titanium bracelet and aluminum case.
    Yes, the Rangeman will be sturdier in extreme situations but truth be told, while I like general outdoor activity, I am not into extreme sports. For me, and I expect most people, the practical difference in sturdiness will probably not matter.

A very interesting comparison followed, since in essence the two watches have approximately the same functionality (I did not check the exact functionality difference details) and use the same sensor module. It is more the execution of the functionality that differs.
    In this comparison at least for me the Protrek had a number of advantages:

- While I like the rugged manly look of the G-Shock, the much more svelte Protrek is almost smart-casual in nature and can easily be worn under a close fitting shirt.
    - The display of the Protrek is significantly easier, more relaxed to read than the Rangeman
    - The titanium looks and feels great and the result is a very light (nearly) all metal watch. It is fractionally heavier than the mainly synthetic Rangeman yet strangely it does not feel heavier. It also makes the watch less casual in style.
    - I am more a bracelet dude than a resin strap amateur. Also, less worry about any dreaded long term resin rot.
    - The smaller Protrek (yet with its large uninterrupted display area, it is not cramped) is more discreet in style (which may be a plus or a minus for others)
    - A disadvantage is the water resistance: 100m for ProTrek vs 200m for Rangeman. Now I know that these indications are not real dive depths like on dedicated dive watches. In any case I expect that the Protrek should be watertight enough for general swimming up to my own requirement of a few meters depth - question: does anyone here swim with the 3000 series Protreks? No issues I assume? I do not intend to press buttons while swimming. I must say that the extra reserve in the 200m WR of the Rangeman would have been good.

In the end these considerations made me buy the titanium Protrek. Mind, the Rangeman was seriously attractive, and if it were not for this high tech titanium model with its posh look and feel, I would have probably opted for the Rangeman instead of a synthetic material PRW3000 variant, I mean I would likely not have selected a full resin Protrek out of the display cabinet for comparison.

Comments, observations?
    Iyonk, MCZK, Paul Raposo and 1 others like this.

Re: So I went to the shop to buy a Rangeman, and then...

Rangeman is an all in one type. If needed. I'm getting it as my travel travel watch when I travel to other counties. I would never bring my automatic or expensive watches traveling.

Another pro to the rangeman/disadvantage of the protrek you missed is the use of the memory function. The protrek only keeps memory records of Alt measurements. For the rangeman its just about anything. As a related feature that was overlooked is the Rangeman has the time stamping functionality whereas the Protrek does not.

Edit: also, if it matters to you, the rangeman has the "hot key" to the stop watch
    Last edited by JarenCarter; April 15th, 2014 at 09:24.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rangeman is an all in one type. If needed. I'm getting it as my travel travel watch when I travel to other counties. I would never bring my automatic or expensive watches traveling.
    Yes indeed, this is an important reason for me as well, esp when traveling to poor countries (I wouldn't mind wearing my Tuna across most of Europe though). That plus the fun ABC functions.

Another pro to the rangeman/disadvantage of the protrek you missed is the use of the memory function. The protrek only keeps memory records of Alt measurements. For the rangeman its just about anything. As a related feature that was overlooked is the Rangeman has the time stamping functionality whereas the Protrek does not.
    Thanks for your insights. I did not do these detailed feature comparisons when deciding. Indeed if these memory functions matter then that may swing the opinion. For me they does not really matter. Well, they would be fun, but they would not have changed my preference for the Pro Trek.
    JarenCarter likes this.

That Pro-trek is sweet, on the hunt for one now.

Good choice IMO. I voted Protrek over Rangeman, too in the end. Sold the Rangeman and got a PRG-270 instead. The buttons are easier to reach for me and I prefer the uncluttered display with the bigger digits.
    There's a nice workaround to the missing timestamp feature somebody mentioned the other day - just take a manual altimeter reading and store it - day and date gets stored together with the height so you got a timestamp, too should you ever need that feature (I didn't so far).

Cheers, Sedi

One things for certain, im betting the Protrek tastes a hell of a lot better than the Rangeman, so if i had to pick one to eat it would be the Protek.

I was under the impression that the titanium bracelet protrek had a plastic case that was painted silver. Is that not true? You say it is aluminum. The only thing that stopped me from buying that model was the fear of the silver paint coming off. So it is metal and not painted?

Plus my preference is negative displays for digi watches

I realise late that this thread would be a lot better with some real life pictures.

The titanium Pro Trek on the wrist:

And here a quick stable shot, next to a few of my favourites, I think the Pro Trek is a nice addition, very different:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information