So my friend is opening up a skate shop...

Thread: So my friend is opening up a skate shop...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended

So my friend is opening up a skate shop...

...and I don't know anything about skateboards. But I am trying to help him out by coming up with some ideas for accessories. So I thought that aside from the usual safety stuff and some clothes and shoes, I thought that a display of G shocks would be a great idea. Keep in mind that money is tight and he won't be willing to "get every model" so I am trying to make a short list of some popular models just to test the waters.

Maybe there are some skaters on this forum, or maybe parents of skaters. Maybe even just teenagers have some input. I'm sure that there are some regional/national differences in opinions, but I would be curious to hear them all.

Are G shocks really popular with this crowd? Casio certainly markets to the extreme sport/youth market, but are they buying?

Is it safe to assume that the most colorful models are the most popular with this crowd? Or maybe the base models are also popular because of their affordability? Probably a mix of both is a good decision.

Does anyone have any experience working with Casio? I assume there is some regional distribution you have to work with. Are they interested in working with small business? It would make sense that they would want to have some presence in these types of stores, but obviously the volume will not be anything close to the large internet dealers. To be frank, I think a small shop could do better than what I have seen in the local department stores just because there is actually someone at the counter to sell you something!

Thanks for any input.

John

Re: So my friend is opening up a skate shop...

Swatches are really popular with the skate crowd, especially the ones with the thick leathery strap, the more emo/Johnny Depp style. Nixon as well to a lesser extent.

G Shocks are popular with all extreme sports scenes though. I had a G Shock when I was skating over 10 years ago and so did my sister, a couple of friends and my gf at one point.

Back then they were really expensive (around 80GBP) which was a lot of money to a broke skater so maybe now they'll be more popular as the price is down quite a bit for many models.

Few square GLX G-glides, some DW-6600/6900, that should do for starters. So classics in general in some lively colours.

I'd personally steer away from masters-of-G, as they're a bit dearer and their market designation may confuse an average skater.

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is the wrong place to ask these questions! You basically asked a G-Shock forum, who all like G-Shocks, if any of them are skaters. Find skaters and ask them what they like. I would have guessed Nixon, and somebody has already answered that. Buy the wrong inventory and he'll be sitting with them for years and finally dumping them at a loss. Also, buy as few as possible of anything to test it out.
    Planet Ocean 45mm (Black on Black)
    Doxa 5000T Professional

Any of the IN4MA+TION GLX's would be cool only problem is I think most are limited.
    My Collection so far. GLX-5600XA-4, GW530A-1V

Suspended

I never heard of Nixon...the lineup looks like a mess. Invicta is more appealing.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    Few square GLX G-glides, some DW-6600/6900, that should do for starters. So classics in general in some lively colours.

I'd personally steer away from masters-of-G, as they're a bit dearer and their market designation may confuse an average skater.

Good luck!
    Good point on the Master of G, however I was thinking of the special pieces to be the new Mudman MX series.

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    I never heard of Nixon...the lineup looks like a mess. Invicta is more appealing.
    There is a similar shop in my town that sells Nixon - and no other brand. They do seem to be very popular with that consumer group.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Nixon is quite popular with skaters, and they also are endorsed by the likes of Tony Hawk, Bob Burnquist, Ryan Sheckler, among others.

For G-shocks, the 5600 and 6900 should be good but I'm not sure which model does Stevie Williams (G-shock endorsee) wears.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information