So we have switched to DST

Thread: So we have switched to DST

So we have switched to DST

So we have switched to DST in most of the European countries. Originally I wanted to count down for 01:00:00 UTC when the time changed but ended up sleeping in my bed instead.

It was a few minutes after 1 o'clock, ie. actually after 2 o'clock, when my roommate came and looked at my alarm clock sitting on my bed, trying to figure out what time it was: which was not that easy, as my old alarm clock, which I bought on the continent years ago, for some reason sticks to the continental time and, having just synced, it read 03:08. My watch, on the contrary, had not synced and read 01:08. So I explained the time to my roommate, triggered manual reception on my watch once more and slept on, not being able to cope awake with the fact that my watch was not showing the correct time.

Eventually the reception at 3:05 was successful and when I woke up in the morning I saw the little DST indicator on and my watch showing the correct time again :)

Thinking of how the time changes on radio controlled clocks and watches: I've looked at the web page of NPL and in the document
    http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/MSF_Time_Date_Code.pdf
    it says: "When UK civil time is subject to one-hour positive offset during part of the year, this period is indicated by setting bit *58B to '1'. Bit *53B is set to '1' during the 61 consecutive minutes immediately before a change, the last being minute 59, when bit *58B changes."

Which leads me to the idea: if I had had my watch sync within an hour before the time change, would they have switched to the correct time exactly at the time change, or would there have been one more sync needed after the change?

Re: So we have switched to DST

I use to sleep to 11 on my free weekends. Today I slept to 12 . Suddenly I started to feel like a bad person. The whole day has feeling stressed just because of this lost hour .

BTW why does Casio mark the daylight summertime as DST on the display? Is it really neccesary to do that?

I find it quite an important info as you can clearly see whether the watch has re-synced after the time change or not, ie. whether it has still the 'old' time or 'new'.

When I was a kid I made quite a lot of it: having no Casio watch by that time I labelled all the clocks in the house with labels saying "CET=GMT+1" or "CEST=GMT+2", replacing one with the others as I was re-setting the clocks.

Quite neat that this little indicator does the job for me :)
    Last edited by madman01; March 30th, 2008 at 21:12.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had totally forgotten about it. At 0:58 I checked the TV listing page on Sky and thought it was screwed up because the next listing was for 02:00!

I had two watches downstairs: my non atomic Protrek and my Citizen Nighthawk. I manually changed the time on both, wore the Nighthawk to bed and all day today, and haven't even looked at my other watches. At least the atomic ones will be correct.
    Wear what you like.

Other than my bedroom alarm clock that I changed when I got in I switched all my recent G's an hour ahead before I went out, did the vehicle clock on the way home and changed my watch on my wrist at 1am.

Still got 2 cases of watches to change but I will do that when I come to wear them...no rush

Thread Information