Software for copying a program and its bits and pieces

Thread: Software for copying a program and its bits and pieces

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Off topic Software for copying a program and its bits and pieces

This is for a friend of mine. He wants to copy a program and all the related bits (files and registry items) from his old laptop to a new machine. He bought the software online, doesn't have the original exe and the company that created the software doesn't exist any more.

Any ideas? Freeware would of course be preferred.

In the old days we used Quarterdeck CleanSweep to "delete and archive" as a workaround to do the same thing and just copied the archive to the new computer.

Thanks.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Re: Software for copying a program and its bits and pieces

One option you could explore would be to run the Windows system as-is as a virtual machine on the new computer. Your friend would convert his existing setup into an image file which would then be loaded on the new PC. From there he should be able to open the virtual environment and run everything as it worked on the old box.

I have not worked with this particular piece of software, but it seems to be freeware from Microsoft and may fit the bill.

http://www.labnol.org/software/creat...omputer/10510/
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

An excellent idea! Although a bit bloaty. Not sure how the virtualised Windows version from the laptop will like the new hardware though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    An excellent idea! Although a bit bloaty. Not sure how the virtualised Windows version from the laptop will like the new hardware though.
    It will like the new h/w just fine... that is, it probably will not boot But that is easy to fix: the main problem when changing the h/w with an NT-based kernel is that, if the driver for the disk controller is different, the system will stop half-way through the booting process.

If it does not boot, you need to boot with the original setup disk (same edition and service pack level of first installation) and, among the possible setup options, you just choose REPAIR. That way, the setup will remove all system updates and drivers and restore the system as if it were freshly installed, which will boot. Afterwards you can re-install the new drivers and the updates. Installed applications and configurations are not touched (well, applications that rely kernel components, like e.g. antiviruses, will be broken and will need to be re-installed).

Of course, you can use the same procedure if you just clone your old system to the new machine, instead of to a virtual machine.

In both cases (real or virtual machine), Windows will probably refuse to let you log on unless you re-activate it immediately. During the activation process, you have to change the product key to the one provided with your new machine (which may be printed on a sticker under the laptop or on the back of the desktop). If the new machine only comes with a newer version of Windows, the product key will not work (depending on the exact license that came with the machine, you may be entitled to downgrade and legally re-use your old product key).

Good luck!

Suspended

I know nothing, but couldn't you just image your existing hard drive onto a external HD?

all kinda weird solutions I guess...
    how about specifying the program? someone might source the installer (if that's what you mean by "original exe")
    Or possibly forget it and use different soft if it's not supported anymore.
    Is it gonna run under same OS? Then is it a problem to just copy program's dir + export and import related reg entries, if any? If you can identify all files (other than prog's main dir) I would just move everything manually. Relying with this kind of stuff on some "transfer" programs is usually a disaster. Just my opinion.
    But let us know of what prog it is, if not a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    I know nothing, but couldn't you just image your existing hard drive onto a external HD?
    That would not work as the registry keys would be on the external hard disk, and when you run Windows it will look for registry keys on the actual version of Windows running.

Quote Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
    all kinda weird solutions I guess...
    how about specifying the program? someone might source the installer (if that's what you mean by "original exe")
    Or possibly forget it and use different soft if it's not supported anymore.
    Is it gonna run under same OS? Then is it a problem to just copy program's dir + export and import related reg entries, if any? If you can identify all files (other than prog's main dir) I would just move everything manually. Relying with this kind of stuff on some "transfer" programs is usually a disaster. Just my opinion.
    But let us know of what prog it is, if not a secret.
    The program is Win Squared (Win²) by Arcadian Software, v4.

As I said, it's not my program but for a friend. He's not a computer expert so I was looking for a program that would migrate everything for him easily, keys and all. He said he's tried a simple copy of all the files but that doesn't work, so I'm guessing there may be some files in strange directories and registry keys, hence migration software would handle everything nice and quickly. There's also no guarantee that you'll get all the keys if you do it manually as you may end up missing something. Just my experience.

It will be running on a new OS, possibly from English to Japanese as well.

Try "datamover"

Seb

Maybe he can use an older version for now.

Win Squared Problem Solver 3.0

This version is listed as freeware and the file is present (the download link is working).

Did he search for the installer (not just browse the folders for it)? It seems that the installer file is called WinSquaredv41Setup.exe . Maybe he still has it somewhere on the hard disk drive.
    Last edited by Seb; December 13th, 2009 at 11:58.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information