Solar G-Shock Vs Battery G-Shock Watch?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Solar G-Shock Vs Battery G-Shock Watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Solar G-Shock Vs Battery G-Shock Watch?

So I am wondering for my first g-shock. I am thinking of getting a solar one. But I am not sure if it's worth it. What is the difference between Solar and battery operated g-shocks. Do I still have to change the battery in a solar g-shock? Would the solar last me longer?

Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by GlowingWatch; December 17th, 2013 at 22:27.

Re: Solar G-Shock Vs Batery G-Shock Watch?

Quote Originally Posted by GlowingWatch View Post
    So I am wondering for my first g-shock. I am thinking of getting a solar one. But I am not sure if it's worth it. What is the difference between Solar and battery operated g-shocks. Do I still have to change the battery in a solar g-shock? Would the solar last me longer?
    The difference between solar and battery operated G-Shocks: both are powered by batteries, but the solar ones use rechargeable batteries and include small solar panels that recharge the battery, so if you use the light and/or alarms frequently, you probably won't have to change the batteries as often in the solar versions....

Which leads to "yes, you'll eventually have to change the battery in a solar G-Shock," but it could be ten years -- or more -- until you need to do that! On the other hand, if you don't use the light and/or alarm very often, you'll likely get several years out of a "regular" battery-powered version.

The suggestion I've made in other threads: if you expect to use the light and/or alarms a lot, spend time outdoors in the sunshine, or don't mind occasionally putting your G-Shock outside or on a windowsill to charge, get the solar version.

If you work in an office, enjoy mostly indoor hobbies, and/or live in a place with limited sunshine (like many UK members) you might want to go with a non-solar version.
    nnbz, JATO757, STEVIE and 1 others like this.

My G5600E is Tough Solar and when I unboxed it the battery indicator was on "M" so I stuck it out in the sun for a few hours, brought it back in and it was still on "M". Next day I repeated the procedure on a particularly clear, hot and sunny day. The watch was out there for about 8 hrs. I didn't realise just how hot it was that day as I was sitting in an air-conditioned office. When I picked it up it was very hot, so I stuck it next to the cooler. I saw the battery indicator was on "H". That's high I guess as well as hot LOL! The watch has functioned normally now as a daily beater keeping excellent time and alarm settings. I paid less than $100 for this timepiece and it is amazingly tough.

My recommendation to you is to buy a tough solar.

My other G-Shock is a GD350 which is not tough solar, but it has a 5 year battery. I have no idea how along the watch was sitting in the tin with the dealer stock, so I will wait and see how long it will go before it dies on me.
    Last edited by STEVIE; December 17th, 2013 at 15:04.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The last 3 I've bought have had the CR2025 battery in them. I seem to leave my solar powered G's in the window more than I wear them. even though none of them have ever left the fully charged mark.

I'm thinking the regular batteries will be less of a hassle to change too, but that's just conjecture on my part since I've never had to change the batteries in any of mine.
    Last edited by OCDood; December 17th, 2013 at 15:43.

I used to think solar was better, but then charging them is a pain especially when your collection starts to grow and it really annoys me when it gets from H to M.. So I prefer the battery ones now. I've been collecting for 3yrs now, still have not had to do a battery change, when the time comes, it looks fairly simple.
    Chrisek and xevious like this.

For me personally there really isn't much diffrence, if I like the model I buy it, it doesn't matter if it's solar or non-solar.

If I had a choice for example DW-5600e and G-5600e, then I would probably choose solar.
    greg1491, idkfa and Tsarli like this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by STEVIE View Post
    My other G-Shock is a GD350 which is not tough solar, but it has a 5 year battery. I have no idea how along the watch was sitting in the tin with the dealer stock, so I will wait and see how long it will go before it dies on me.
    Unless one uses excessively the vibe alarm, the five years claim on the GD-350 is a joke. It is more realistic to expect double or tripple that lifespan. Anyway, depending on your age chances are not too bad that you will die before the CR2032 in your GD-350 does

cheers
    nigelw, greg1491 and xevious like this.
    We are 12.6 %

If you have a big collection, solar can be kind of a pain in the neck. But if you pretty much just stick with a few watches, the solar is uber-convenient.
    fatiredflyer and xevious like this.

Another consideration is whether you want atomic timekeeping. As far as I know that is only available on solar G Shocks

I have several of both and if I really want a model it doesnt matter to me if it's solar or not. I have changed batteries in both kinds. As far as lifespan of the different battery techs well I had a re-chargeable battery die in my GW300 after only a couple years, while my dw5700, which I bought new in '88 had it's battery last over 20 years. But I rarely if ever used the light or alarm in that dw5700.
    Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information