Solar models, Battery charge High
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Solar models, Battery charge High

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Solar models, Battery charge High

Before purchasing I looked at several of these watches and none of them had a High charge, the current watch I have now has been in the sun for about half a day and under regular house light for at least 2 days now and I have yet to wear it making sure it gets as much light as possible. It is still on Medium charge, I realize most of these watch models are a few years old and have been sitting on displays and the battery does not hold a charge as good as it did when it was brand new as typical with most Li batteries, is this just something normal to expect out of these watches or is it just luck of the draw on the battery inside the watch.

Thanks

Re: Solar models, Battery charge High

I should also mention i have read the entire manual as i do with every watch before even using them. I understand the hours and time table for lux and levels. It just makes me wonder if these rechargeable batteries like most will eventually not reach full capacity during the life of the watch.

It's probably luck of the draw and depends on exactly how long the watch has been sitting on a shelf or in a display, and whether the watch was still in "Power Save" mode from the factory.

If you check the owner's manual, you'll see that Casio solars can take a couple of days of DIRECT, OUTDOOR sunlight to fully charge. "Sunlight through a window" generally takes five times as long, and indoor lighting is so dim in comparison that the chart won't even show how long it takes to get to "High" with an indoor light source.

Name:  gw2310 charging chart.png
Views: 455
Size:  34.9 KB

The good news is that once the watch is fully charged, they can go for months without seeing the sun again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You appended your reply before I hit "submit."

Yes, EVENTUALLY these batteries either won't fully charge to "high" or they won't stay there for long, but that shouldn't be an issue for many years or many charging cycles. The big problem with these batteries is if people leave them in the sock drawer on "low" or below for a long time -- these batteries seem to perform best when they're kept mostly charged.

Just let it sit for a few days out in the direct sun. I do this with all my watches I buy new or used. Once they hit high, They stay out another full day 8+hours just to make sure they are topped off.
    Mike K and frhoads like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Thanks guys, I'll make sure i leave it out a few more days, the sunlight at best is marginally better than a cloudy day in so cali so to be fair I will wait longer. I certainly will be wearing it daily. I do have other watches with metal bands like Citizen and others which I just don't wear b/c they pull on my arm hair and it is a shame to change their band but these resin style bands on the Gshock fit the style and the watch works well.

Thanks

once it's on high, all you need is like 8-15 minutes of sunlight a day to power the watch for the entire day and ambient lighting should be fine.
    Rocat likes this.

Is it time for this weekly thread already?
    StephenWatch likes this.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to think the High mark is there as a tease. I have literally had the watch out in the sun and moved it every hour to make sure it is getting maximum sun exposure and angle for the past 5 days and it is still stuck on Med. Maybe i should just replace the battery, I just don't think this battery will charge to max capacity being the watch was produced in 2012 and sitting in a display case probably for the past few years. I assume replacing the battery is simple as unscrewing the back and swap? Will research the battery model as I'm sure it is less than standard CR 3.5v battery being rechargeable.

I should Note, I ended up keeping this model below. The size alone is what sold me over the 2300 model which was smaller. Any help with battery selection is appreciated.
    GWX8900B-7

Last edited by jetspeedz; December 26th, 2014 at 22:25.

I found this is the correct battery based on pacparts.com, I have also read some threads on here with these batteries failing. Information overload.

CTL1616

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information