Solar or not ?

Thread: Solar or not ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Solar or not ?

Hi all,

I own a pre g-shock (DW-1000) but would like to buy a new g-shock model.

I know that battery models can be used for 5 or more years but what about solar models ? Does solar models have an rechargeable battery ? Do I have to replace it after 10 years ?

Thx

Re: Solar or not ?

Yes, they have a rechargeable battery which should last in excess of ten years.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

You mean that It won't last more than ten years? (it's cheaper if buy a battery model and replace battery every 5 years or so, right?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I chose the phrase 'in excess of' carefully.

The technology hasn't been around for decades, so it's hard to say. The battery might last twenty years. On the other hand, this page of the forum has some reports of batteries (or modules / batteries - it isn't always clear which) failing after a few years.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

It's worth bearing that in mind. The lithium ion batteries used in laptops *definately* don't have the shelf life of some of the old battery technologies, although they are superior in almost every other way. It would be ridiculously ironic - though not entirely surprising - if the tough solar watches couldn't match the life of a silver oxide battery!

since Solar 'should' last several years without battery replacement, what about normal service?
    If we're talking about G-2300, GW-7900, GW-9010, etc what is the recomended service interval?

Quote Originally Posted by lost2 View Post
    since Solar 'should' last several years without battery replacement, what about normal service?
    If we're talking about G-2300, GW-7900, GW-9010, etc what is the recomended service interval?

The rubber seal still need to be replaced every 2 to 3 years.

yeah that's right. I always asked for rubber replacement when I send my (now old) DW-1000 for battery change (which I will in a near future, too).
    It seams that if we can't avoid going into service for a long period of time I must re-think what's the best model for me. Maybe Solar is not a 'must have' feature and I am slightly out of range for wave radio setting too.

Dont all G-Shocks have a ten year life as per the triple ten philosophy? Menaing that after ten years the watch has served it's purpose.

Catch22.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Dont all G-Shocks have a ten year life as per the triple ten philosophy? Menaing that after ten years the watch has served it's purpose.

Catch22.

I don't think so, with proper care and maintenance I have seen G's from the early 80's go on ebay for over 1500 dollars, I personally expect much more out of my watches. I am excessive about care and maintenance, I lube my rubber seals with silicone grease as well as treat my Bezels and Straps with a special vinyl, rubber treatment, UV rays are what really destroys the resin. Most of mine spend far more time in there case than on my wrist, because when you have a bunch to switch on and off, there may be a week before one gets worn again. Thats why its good to have many G Shocks!!
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information