Solar vs Non-Solar: Advantages/Disadvantages

Thread: Solar vs Non-Solar: Advantages/Disadvantages

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Solar vs Non-Solar: Advantages/Disadvantages

I am thinking of getting the g6900-A, yellow one .... it is solar and has atomic time ....

BUT what are the advantages of solar vs non-solar?

Also, If the g6900-A is hidden in a colset, ofcourse it will loose its charge. When there is light, it will start charging BUT will it also set the correct time on its own???

Re: Solar vs Non-Solar: Advantages/Disadvantages

Bottom line is that solar and non solar are both ok.
    You shouldn't put a solar watch in the dark for like a year, because there's a chance the rechargeable battery gets empty, and then you'll have to replace it.
    So if you store it in a room not in a closet, everything should be fine and the watch will keep fairly accurate time.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Quote Originally Posted by seadweller View Post
    I am thinking of getting the g6900-A, yellow one .... it is solar and has atomic time ....

BUT what are the advantages of solar vs non-solar?

Also, If the g6900-A is hidden in a colset, ofcourse it will loose its charge. When there is light, it will start charging BUT will it also set the correct time on its own???
    You mean to get the GW-6900, the one with atomic timekeeping; the G-6900 doesn't have this feature.

With a solar watch, you can use power-hungry features repeatedly and with reckless abandon, safe in the knowledge that the battery's charge can be replenished by simple exposure to light. On the other hand, the non-solar models arguably have a brighter EL backlight compared to their solar counterparts.

Assuming that the battery has not completely lost its charge, a solar watch kept in the dark should maintain internal timekeeping to within the specified margin.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's been debated many times, and some like solar and some don't.

Personally, I find it an unnecessary complication and don't like the appearance of the solar cells. The cells also limit what the designer can do with the dial (space, textures, designs, etc).

I wouldn't not buy a solar watch, but would buy a non-solar (and atomic) version if one was available.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

does any component in a SOLAR watch fails more often or needs replacement earlier than the NON-SOLAR counterpart?

thnx

Quote Originally Posted by seadweller View Post
    does any component in a SOLAR watch fails more often or needs replacement earlier than the NON-SOLAR counterpart?

thnx
    I heard there were a few faulty modules in some models a few years ago. Doesn't apply to the G6900.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

I found the best part of owning a solar was the ability to use the backlight more often without having to owrry about running down the battery prematurely. Now that I have more than a few G's it almost becomes irrelevant since if I use the EL 3-5 times a day on one model, it might not get worn for 2 weeks anyway, so it more or less averages out.

If you only have a few solar's it's not a problem but if you have many then it becomes a chore to worry about charging them properly etc. That's why I got out of autos mostly becuase of the constant neediness of my wrist companion.

Kev

Solar means you don't have to open up the back as often if at all which is good for maintaining water resistance...

I like Auto-EL and if you don't have solar they put a time limit on how long it will work .. like on my Mudman if you turn on Auto-EL it automatically turns of (back to manual) after 6 hours
    But on solar "G" or at least the ones I have ..once you turn on auto-EL it stays on auto-EL
    And I'm sure there are other pro's
    G-Shocks:
    GDF-100
    G7900 in Blue
    Wenger

Commando 7072
    Vostok

Amphibian Std
    Amphibian Ministry 710395 (Lost :( )
    Amphibian Ministry 710059(Blue Scuba Dude)
    Citizen:
    Gold Eco-Drive Dress
    1995 Citizen Wingman

Qmax
    Lorus
    Mickey Mouse
    Eddie Bauer
    V8VD62
    Android
    Octupus Quartz (Blue)
    RPM (Orange)

Invicta
    ProDiver Auto 1001
    Fossil
    FS-4577 Dual Time Dress(tank)

It pretty much seems to be a decision between the older and proven reliable, or the newer and more finicky models...

With the older non-solar/non-atomic model you have what is essentially a standard quartz watch, and running long proven technology. Pop a battery in one and you know it will work perfectly until the battery dies which is typically going to be 5+ years (depending on use obviously), and will keep time to at least 20 seconds a month with a standard quartz movement. Basically you know exactly what you are getting.

With a newer atomic solar model, you basically have newer and fancy tech built in, which can be a bit more finicky to use, and hasn't been as well proven out in the field yet.
    Things like the fact that you may need to keep an eye on the power levels of your watch, and in the case that you heavily use the functions or it doesn't see much light, you may have to leave it somewhere well lit to recharge the battery every so often. Some reports also claim that the batteries do need replacing every so often, which will cost more than a respective single use battery.
    The other part is the atomic signal - when it works giving you a continually checked and updated time based off an atomic clock, so a watch should never be further than a second out from perfect time. Hugely accurate if you are within range of the transmitter, though if your live somewhere a bit further away you may have trouble getting the signal easily (often solvable though leaving the watch in a 'clear' position next to a south facing window)

A lot of us love the extra tech - I don't have to worry about my atomic solar AWG-101 battery going flat when I need it, and I get great signal so have a watch with perfect accuracy without any need for me to check it. At the same time there are many for whom the benefits don't appear (as with the atomic reception) or just feel they are excessively gadgety and don't really offer too much of a benefit.

Beyond that you will often notice changes in the features between similar standard and atomic solar models (such as the DW-5600 and GW-5600) in things like stopwatch and counter limits and other features that have come and gone over the years, so if there are any specific functions you want like 24hr timers, you may be limited to only certain models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information