solar vs. nonsolar g shock?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: solar vs. nonsolar g shock?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

solar vs. nonsolar g shock?

i want to get my first g shock. so far ive narrrowed it down to 2 kinds. the dw6900cc and gx56. im a a little nervous abt the solar function of the gx56. does it have to be charged everyday? is nonsolar better than solar?

Re: solar vs. nonsolar g shock?

The solar GX56 has can go almost a year on a full charge without any exposure to light.

Well it really depends, and highly on personal preference. With current technology, non-solar Gs can last up to 10 years without changing batteries. Solar models, on the other hand, don't need battery changes and most models can go 6-8 months without any sunlight (under normal operating conditions). They also usually need about 5 minutes of direct sunlight (or equivalent) to maintain normal everyday use.

So, what exactly about the solar models makes you nervous?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio has also engineered ‘Power Saving” function that cuts the power from the battery when not needed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Well it really depends, and highly on personal preference. With current technology, non-solar Gs can last up to 10 years without changing batteries. Solar models, on the other hand, don't need battery changes and most models can go 6-8 months without any sunlight (under normal operating conditions). They also usually need about 5 minutes of direct sunlight (or equivalent) to maintain normal everyday use.

So, what exactly about the solar models makes you nervous?
    really its just i dont like knowing i have to charge my watch. i love the gx56 though. i think im going with that form what ive heard. i wanted a watch that i could just go about my day wearing and not have to worry about charging it.

Quote Originally Posted by easteagle View Post
    really its just i dont like knowing i have to charge my watch. i love the gx56 though. i think im going with that form what ive heard. i wanted a watch that i could just go about my day wearing and not have to worry about charging it.

Unless you live in a cave, it is a non-issue.

it really depends on how meticulous (anal retentive) you are. if you're the kind of person to freak out when you see the battery level at "M", it might be best to go with a standard battery G. If you think you can manage with the alleged "imperfections" and have enough trust in the technology, then go with the solar.

I take my solar out of the drawer about once a week and wear it, often for less than a full day. It's never shown less than full charge. I was a bit hesitant to get a solar, too, but it hasn't been any problem at all.

You are probably going to get all sorts of opinions on this subject. Some folks like the idea of solar, some do not. As BenL said, there are some models that will run close to a decade without a battery change, so you can go a long time between batteries with the right watch. Personally I'm a fan of the solar watches. Both my G-Shocks are from the Solar/Atomic variety and I really like that combination.

As to your concern, unless you are really into avoiding the sun, you probably won't need to ever "charge" your watch; just wearing it while you are out during the day will probably suffice to keep it going all year long. I have never actually charged one on purpose, other than keeping the one I don't wear in a window sill just to keep the battery topped off. The one I'm wearing never leaves my wrist and I can say that my good old GW500 spent several years on my wrist without ever needing any additional charging. I can't really say much about my current everyday watch yet since I've only had a few weeks, but I wouldn't expect to have to charge it either.

I'd say just get whichever one you like the most and enjoy!

I have no problem with the solar tech itself. My beef is the restrictions of the features due to the watch being solar. It's like a gasoline powered engine vs hybrid/electric. with gas engines, you get more output but at the cost of the mileage. hybrids/electric, more mileage but not as powerful or fast as the old traditional method.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information