Solar watches and charging?
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Solar watches and charging?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Solar watches and charging?

I'm getting a range man g shock soon, my question is I stay inside because of my new baby. Will I be able to hold it to charge? I bought a mudman on amazon and it died fully shut off. I charged it for 20hours. And 6 hours a day and it went shut off in that same day I'm planning on not taking it off. Any advice? I've only had one solar watch and that was the mudman and I don't know if the mudman was bad?

Re: Solar watches and charging?

If you have a bright apartment with the blinds open and plenty of natural light, it should be fine. Keep it outside your sleeve when you're wearing it and keep it on a shelf by the window when you're not.

If you live like a vampire with the blinds drawn then the light from lamps will definitely not be enough.

Not to sound preachy but if the watch is not getting enough sunlight then probably you aren't either. It's not just your watch that's solar powered!
    ShaggyDog and Mhutchuk like this.

Yeah more like a vampire but I take vitamin c pills can I rub some vitamin c pills on it lol. If I charge it once three months for a day outside would that be enough?
    The mudman I had I charged it for about 30hours and it died and shut off

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What wrsmith said is correct

Depends on the country and weather. At the moment all my G-Shocks are on CHG, LOW and MID and I don't see any of that changing before spring.

Quote Originally Posted by DyingInTheShadows View Post
    I'm getting a range man g shock soon, my question is I stay inside because of my new baby. Will I be able to hold it to charge? I bought a mudman on amazon and it died fully shut off. I charged it for 20hours. And 6 hours a day and it went shut off in that same day I'm planning on not taking it off. Any advice? I've only had one solar watch and that was the mudman and I don't know if the mudman was bad?
    If your MUDMAN is still new, return it or have it check 'coz it's still under warranty. If the warranty is over, you can DIY change the battery. I charge my solar watch under a bright CFL bulb connected to a Desk lamp.
    I put the lamp 2 to 3 inches away from the watch crystal. CFL bulb does not emit too much heat as compared to the incandescent bulb. Having an alternate watch is a solution if you always wear the watch regularly.
    Use the power saving on your watch too. Charging with the Sun is quicker but it blackens the display if it is exposed too much. As of now, CFL charging is the right one for me.

If I charge it once three months for a day outside would that be enough?
    The mudman I had I charged it for about 30hours and it died and shut off
    It depends what you mean specifically. Where would it be for the 3 months in between? In a drawer?

It's better to keep it 'topped up' regularly. Leave it on a shelf by a window. Wear it when you're going to the shops or walking in the park.

If the battery gets fully discharged, the internal resistance becomes very high, too high to be charged by the solar panel. The cell is basically damaged/broken.

Here's the link to the Rangeman manual: http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3410.pdf

Here's the chart about charging:

Name:  gw-9400 charging.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  101.5 KB

Solar G's charge best when they're in direct sunlight, outdoors. It takes about five times longer to charge them with "sunlight through a window," and about ten times as long with light through a window on a cloudy day. Normal indoor lighting takes about 90 times as long-- that's not so much "charging" as "just enough light to offset 'daily use' of an alarm or two and one or two backlight uses."

Solar watches can go for months at a time without seeing the sun -- most of my solars will sit on my dresser (away from the windows) for months at a time through Ohio's fall and winter and still stay on "High," but I try to rotate which ones I wear during the spring and summer so they're all fully charged going into winter. As wrsmith said, it's best to try to keep these rechargeable batteries close to fully charged rather than letting them fall to low or below for months at a time.

Sounds like a good plan, having trouble keeping one solar watch charged so buy another. I still like battery power since IMO they are the most trouble free, never worry about charge, just change a battery every 2-5 years depending on the watch and use.

Sunlight is what they need, direct is the best. Once they are fully charged they will run a long time. When I'm not wearing them they go in a dark drawer so they go into sleep mode and use very little power.

For winter time when we get little sun I use one of those sun lights made for people that get winter depression, it works almost as good as the sun for charging the watch. Maybe I should set in front of it too, haven't seen more than a minute or two of real sun for a month, cloudy and overcast everyday.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

I will put my solars in the western windows for a couple sunny days once they hit "M". That seems to do the trick, just dont let it get to low.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information