SOLVED--My Big Mystery
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: SOLVED--My Big Mystery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture SOLVED--My Big Mystery

For the longest time I had wondered like crazy (pun intended, you'll see what I mean later) what watch was worn in my favorite movie, The Crazies (get it now?). So today while at Walmart I inevitably went to the jewelry section just to see what there was. I skipped Timex, skipped Armitron, skipped all the misc. $10 watch brands, and went straight to Casio. I noticed a nice Casio chrono, perhaps the nicest thing about it was the price tag. Only $64. Not bad. So I asked the lady to see it (at Walmart a $64 Casio is considered high end so it was locked up), I pressed the pushers to make sure they work, fiddled with the bezel, and before long I was handing over my card. I came home excited about my new acquisition, took out a few links and threw it on. While looking at it on my wrist in the mirror to see how it wears from a distance, something about this watch seemed strangely familiar. I knew I'd seen it in a movie before, I just forgot which one. It finally hit me, so I went to watchesinmovies.info and searched "The Crazies" to confirm my suspicion. I was right, in the screen grabs below you can clearly see the lugs, the pushers, the bracelet, the hour markers and hands, the bezel, the bit of orange (chrono and second hand), and case are all identical. I was very very excited to have finally found out just which watch David Dutton was wearing.
    Name:  587350d1324948323-crazies-casio-crazies_casio03.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  156.4 KB
    Here you can clearly see the face
    Name:  587349d1324948261-crazies-casio-crazies_casio01.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  97.0 KB
    And here the bezel and bracelet.

Now onto my own pics, it's a very sleek and sexy watch, and I can easily picture this as my new everyday/beater watch, the fact that it can survive an outbreak that turns people into ravenous killers gives me confidence this can handle anything I throw at it. :D The slide rule is a big plus also. Although 50m WR is a let down, however we all know that when Casio says 50m, they really mean 500m. (I apologize ahead of time for my pics, all I have available right now is my phone, I tried to get it to focus nicely).
    Name:  Crazies.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  86.3 KB
    Nice bright indoor lighting
    Name:  CraziesII.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  144.1 KB
    Nice cloudy outdoor lighting.

As you can see I'm quite satisfied with the watch, and even more satisfied that I finally know the watch worn in one of the coolest outbreak flicks of the 21st century. Thanks for looking and have a great day!
    -Chris
    TZA, Dave I, GShockMe and 5 others like this.

Re: SOLVED--My Big Mystery

Silly me, in all my excitement I forgot to give the model #. It's the MTP-4500 for those who were curious.
    Fer Guzman and Morteza like this.

Excellent post, really enjoyed it, thank you.

That watch has a real presence, enjoy.
    Best regards

Dave.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CFF

congrats on your new find..

those are def a looker
    Chris

here is my feedback: CFF, Best Seller Ever!

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Congrats on figuring out the mystery. I love it when that happens... you have a curiosity unresolved for a long while and then one day, the answer just stares you in the face.

Not to rain on your parade, but when I read up on this watch it seems that the slide rule is rather useless. To quote one reviewer:
    "BUT what is supposed to make this an aviator watch is the circular slide rule (used by me to compute ground speeds) and on this watch is totally useless!! One scale is is on the outside of the dial face and adjustable, as it should be, the other is under the crystal, and has no business whatsover of being there. This mis-arrangement of scales always presents a very large parallax error, making calculations absolutely totally impossible to perform. If you need to use this feature, then do not buy this watch!"

However, it is a full stainless steel case with screw back. Nice! You can also pick it up on Amazon for $10 less with shipping included. The nice thing about the lugs is that you can outfit it with a NATO strap, no strap adapters necessary.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Congrats on figuring out the mystery. I love it when that happens... you have a curiosity unresolved for a long while and then one day, the answer just stares you in the face.

Not to rain on your parade, but when I read up on this watch it seems that the slide rule is rather useless. To quote one reviewer:
    "BUT what is supposed to make this an aviator watch is the circular slide rule (used by me to compute ground speeds) and on this watch is totally useless!! One scale is is on the outside of the dial face and adjustable, as it should be, the other is under the crystal, and has no business whatsover of being there. This mis-arrangement of scales always presents a very large parallax error, making calculations absolutely totally impossible to perform. If you need to use this feature, then do not buy this watch!"

However, it is a full stainless steel case with screw back. Nice! You can also pick it up on Amazon for $10 less with shipping included. The nice thing about the lugs is that you can outfit it with a NATO strap, no strap adapters necessary.
    Haha, yeah I can see the problem. However you can still perform conversions such as nautical miles to statute miles with ease. After watching a video on the functions of the slide rule as I was a bit confused, I see I'm able to use this watch for multiplication, division, an unit conversion. Although not super accurate it is accurate enough for a rough estimate which is pretty cool. Plus the bezel's fun to turn when I'm bored. :D Anyway thanks for the reply and the information, if I ever need to perform complex calculations, I have my phone's calculator. :) The slide rule seems to be more for the traditional pilot look.

Fantastic post. Sometimes things get you like that. Made you feel it is not simple coincidence. It meant to be yours

Thanks for the replies guys, the watch has great wrist presence, and amazingly half decent lume. I really wasn't expecting much in terms of lume, but the watch stays lit so far for a long time. What's weird though is that the hour chrono hand has lume on it, but not the minutes and seconds subdial. Wonder what that's about. For those curious, the case is about 42mm without crown, 44mm with crown. And about 12.5mm thick, and 47mm lug to lug. And the chronograph is a simple one second 12 hour chrono. I really should've included this stuff in the actual post. :D
    Last edited by Nato060; April 22nd, 2012 at 02:29.

Nice find, as well as a mystery solved! Enjoy your Casio! ...
    Have a great day, or night! ...

Pops

... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nato060 View Post
    Anyway thanks for the reply and the information, if I ever need to perform complex calculations, I have my phone's calculator. :) The slide rule seems to be more for the traditional pilot look.
    Yeah, if you ever go flying just grab a REAL sliderule like the CR-3 :) I used to use a Citizen Wingman sliderule occasionally, but I still have the CR-3 the Navy issued me and it's dramatically less suicidal to use, the numbers are bigger than 1/32nd of an inch! :) Watch sliderules are largely for fashion, I think.

Product Information | CR-3 Circular Computer (6 inch diameter) - JeppDirect

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information