Are some G-Shock "stronger" then others?

Thread: Are some G-Shock "stronger" then others?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Are some G-Shock "stronger" then others?

i know that all G-shocks are rated for a 10 metre fall and all that, but are some stronger then others? Cause with the age of atomic and solar G-shocks(using as a refrence) and their little parts, dose this mean that their not as shock rissistant as the originals so to speak.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Re: Are some G-Shock "stronger" then others?

I think a lot of the more recent Gs have a lot more protection around the bezel than they used to. Take this for example:

A DW-5600 reissue, but you get the idea of what one of the early Gs looked like. Not so much protection around the module, on the outside at least

This is my GW-9100:

A lot more resin all around as well as the titanium bezel ring.

Without dissecting the watches, we can't really compare how much protection is on the inside of the watches, and the materials used may be different. I think Casio will add on whatever protection a watch needs, along with a nice design, so that the watches will survive the fall.

Will my GW-9100 survive a 10m drop without the bezel? I think it might.

A lot of people feel that the old scewbacks make the watch a lot stronger. There are already a lot of discussions on the forum about this already about which is better. All I can say for sure is I for one would rather a regular backed 5600 fall on my toe than a 5600 scewback.

Given the fact that all Gs have to meet the 10m drop test, we can rest assured that they all meet minimum specs.

Here's a picture of a more recent G release with hardly any outer protection, aG-056:

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

This particular model may be the strongest of them all....

< DW-9100 Series RISEMAN >

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think we need to host a G Shock Off!! Bring your G and see who is tougher!
    Tickets are free. Food will be supplied! Bring your family and friends!
    You only live once.....and some don't even do that!!

I've asked something similar a few days ago. Try this thread:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=189822

Hope it helps...

Quote Originally Posted by GEODE HUNTER View Post
    I think we need to host a G Shock Off!! Bring your G and see who is tougher!
    Tickets are free. Food will be supplied! Bring your family and friends!
    in that case i'm bringing a DW-6900..

Quote Originally Posted by lee172 View Post
    in that case i'm bringing a DW-6900..
    We would have an awesome time!!!!!! I hope we have good barbeque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You only live once.....and some don't even do that!!

My 2005 icerc frogman survived getting walked on by my back-walking masseuse, thats tough enough for me. I didnt know they walk all over your arms and wrists, but the old casio held up just fine.

The thoughest ones are the old Masters from the late 90's. In particular the DW-9300 Raysman is probably the thoughest G ever realesed and then slightly behind comes the old DW-9100 Riseman and the DW-6700 SkyForce.

The DW-6700 is included due to it's very thick plastic case probably the thickest of any G which makes it very though. The DW-9100 and DW-9300 both have a extra layer of protection inside in the form of a Stainless steel inner case ring which makes it very though also both of them have curved crystals which makes them more shock resistant but the Raysman have a slightly more curved and thicker then the Riseman so therefor by a small margin I hold it as the winner and it is the Thoughest G-Shock ever released...

That thingie is a Tire on your wrist!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

I'd say that some are definitely tougher than others, but tougher in different ways. For example, the G-8000 has a strap that covers the case back screws, which should protect the screw heads from shearing off. The G-8000 also has strips molded into the plastic case, which protect the edges of the case back.

The Tough Solar Frogman has a titanium screwback case, which I'd always choose over a plastic case with 4-screw back. This Frogman also happens to have a ton of resin protecting the face of the watch. Much more resin than something like a DW-5600E.

Older G-shocks use a floating module, where the module floats freely inside of the case, layered with rubber cushions. Newer models do not use this floating module concept. It is possible that the older floating module designs help to protect the module more than newer designs.

Personally, I prefer the steel and titanium screwback models. I definitely see the 4-screw backs as being a weak spot.

There is also the issue of whether some of the more advanced features of newer G-shocks make the watches less tough. The minute you add complications to the designs, such as solar charging systems, rechargeable batteries, antennas and sensors, you create more possibilities of things going wrong. Sometimes simple is the best approach.

Then there's also the issue of 5 and 6 buttons G-Shocks. The more buttons you add, the more areas for water to possibly leak inside.

I could go on all day long with various strengths and weaknesses in different models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information