some help deciding...

Thread: some help deciding...

ntp

Gift some help deciding...

hello everybody!
    i am new to this forum and pretty new to g-shocks also, although i owned one when i was about 10-11 years old but i hadn't realized its importance then :)
    so i would like to buy me a new g but i can't decide which one...
    first...are there any reliability related differences between g series? like GW, MTG and regular G's?
    my first candidates are
    http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat.../g-510d-1aver/
    http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat.../gw-810d-1ver/
    http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat...tg-930de-8ver/

as you can see, i prefer a metal band.
    so is there any difference between the last 2 models? i'm asking for differences not listed in the specifications sheet ;)
    also...what do you think about the first one, g510? so any differences in reliability between ana-digi and fully digital g's?

oh and is the solar power ability really useful? i heard stories about g's that kept functioning for about 15 years with the original battery (although the battery type wasn't mentioned). g510 hasn't solar power, but a battery with a 3 years lifetime, so this is its primary drawback. is there any chance the battery would last longer than 3 years? should i get a solar powered watch?

and about the atomic sync function...what do you think? is it worth it? i live in romania and should be able to receive the german signal...

and frankly the g510 is pretty weak in features compared to the other two. so why do all the 3 models have the same price?

allright i`m finished :D thanks for having the patience to read this and any replies would be greatly appreciated :)

Cool Re: some help deciding...

I actually have the GW-800D-1V and chose it because it has Tough Solar and Multi Band 5 Wave Ceptor. Of you choices, it has the same features as the GW-810D-1VER but just a different display. I like the possiblility of having a long lasting, worry-free power source with the self-charging tough solar and the accuracy of the atomic time signal sync up every night. And should I travel abroad, it can sync-up with any of the 5 existing atomic time signal broadcasting stations should I be near enough to receive any one of them.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

ntp

Re: some help deciding...

thanx for the quick reply...the fact is that many users report that the gw8xx series feels not so well built as the mtg930 for example and i want to know if this is true..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: some help deciding...

I don't know about 1 G being better built than another but I do know that all G's are tough enough to take any punishment it can receive during normal use and then some. All of them can survive a 10 meter drop and still come out working fine. Sometimes we have the misconception that metal is stronger than polymer.
    Last edited by trozau; September 13th, 2007 at 02:30.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

I have an MTG900 and a G800, and can say that the MTG feels much more substantial than the 800. The case of the 800 is resin, but the 900 is resin and steel. Makes a big difference. The build on the MTG just feels better too IMHO.
    Stuck in landlocked Atlanta.
    My divers:
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon White "Mad Cow"
    Doxa Sub750T Caribbean
    Stowa Seatime ProDiver (Black)
    Seikos: 6105, 6309, 7002, 7S26, and 6R15 Divers
    G Shocks: DW5600, DW6100, DW6600, DW9000, G9000 Mudman, G9100 Gulfman, MTG900, GW200 Frogman, GS1000 Giez and a dozen more!

ntp

any experiences with g510 or its kind?

Gw-810 For Me

ntp

hey is there any chance that the battery will outlast its lifetime? cuz i'd really like an ana-digi but i can't find one with solar power...

Just to re-iterate the post from Tom P, i bought a GW-810 to replace my MTG-930DU..............................the MTG is still with me, the GW-810 is a distant memory

That's not to say it's a bad watch, far from it. It just does not feel as well made as the MTG, for a variety of reasons. The only plus point over the MTG is the multiband 5.

This of course is my own opinion, ymmv.

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty; September 13th, 2007 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by ntp View Post
    hey is there any chance that the battery will outlast its lifetime? cuz i'd really like an ana-digi but i can't find one with solar power...
    Hi NTP..... you are prolly not aware, but I just won a DW-004 G-shock from the bay and it is a 1998 model. It had the original battery in it..... ! Was still ticking... although the light didn't operate. Battery was a 2016. Big freaking battery...

You probably also don't know that I received a Seiko monster tonight.. and that I've been drinking beer heavily.....

-Gawain
    Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

Thread Information