Some interesting links for Atomic time

Thread: Some interesting links for Atomic time

Cool Some interesting links for Atomic time

So I'm anxiously awaiting my first G-Shock, the Mudman Solar Atomic GW9010-1 from Amazon.
    Having multiband 6 was an absolute must for me since I often travel to China and Taiwan.

I was doing some research on the atomic radio towers and I can across some info that others might be interested in as well.
    From wikipedia there is this info on the new China station:

"BPM is the People's Republic of China's national time signal service, operated by the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
    It broadcasts at 2.5, 5, 10, and 15 MHz.
    BPM is idiosyncratic in that it transmits UT1 time between minutes 25 through to 29 and 55 through to 59, which creates an odd click-beep effect when heard below a stronger time signal station such as WWV."

You can hear the signal from the page here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPM_(time_service)

Here is some info from the Time and Frequency Division, part of NIST's Physics Laboratory,

WWVB Radio Controlled Clocks: Recommended Practices for Manufacturers and Consumers A 64-page booklet containing recommended practices for WWVB radio controlled clock manufacturers, plus tips for consumers attempting to troubleshoot reception problems.

NIST Time and Frequency Services (NIST Special Publication 432) A detailed 80 page overview of NIST time and frequency services and how to use them. Chapter 2 is all about WWVB.

WWVB Improvements: New Power from An Old Timer Technical paper about WWVB (in PDF Format)

Frequently Asked Questions Answers to frequently asked questions about the NIST Radio Stations

Manufacturers of Time and Frequency Receivers Links to manufacturers of WWVB and other time and frequency receivers

Also, there are apparently some plans for a US East coast station too
    "WWVB's Colorado location makes the signal weakest on the U.S. east coast, where urban density also produces considerable interference. NIST is considering adding a second time code transmitter, on the east coast, to improve signal reception there. Such a transmitter would use the same time code, but a different frequency."

Lastly, even more intriguing was the possibility of each of us having our very own atomic wrist watch, without the need for radio signals to sync.
    Check it out:

NIST Demonstrates Miniature Atomic Clock
    NIST researchers have demonstrated a minuscule atomic clock with inner workings about the size of a grain of rice and potential applications in atomically precise timekeeping in portable, battery-powered devices for secure wireless communications, more precise navigation, and other applications. The "physics package" of the clock, believed to be the smallest in the world, is about 1.5 millimeters on a side and about 4 millimeters tall, consumes less than 75 thousandths of a watt, and has a stability of about one part in 10 billion, equivalent to a clock that would neither gain nor lose more than a second in 300 years.

NIST researchers are also demonstrating the potential to fabricate and assemble the physics package using the low-cost, mass-production techniques used to make semiconductor devices, which should eventually lead to a complete atomic clock about 1 cubic centimeter in size (about the size of a pencil eraser) powered by a battery. Such miniature atomic clocks are not intended to compete for accuracy and stability with the world’s most accurate atomic clocks such as the NIST-F1 cesium fountain atomic clock, but could make dramatic improvements in the many consumer and military electronic devices that rely on stable and accurate timing for wireless communications, navigation, and other applications. Please click here for more information.

The NIST chip-scale atomic clock program is supported by NIST and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

Hey Casio, when is the G-Shock gonna have
    minuscule atomic clock?

Anyway, sorry if this stuff has been posted before, just thought I would share the info.

Re: Some interesting links for Atomic time

neat thread.

best regards,

Kirk M.

GWF-1000-1JF
    GDF-100
    GW-9110-1JF
    GW-9400BJ-1JF
    GD-350-1JF
    G-700D
    DW-9052
    DW-9500