Some quick info on carbon fiber

Thread: Some quick info on carbon fiber

Some quick info on carbon fiber

Hello there,

I have seen that Casio offers carbon fiber straps as option in some models. Does this kind of strap last longer than normal ones?
    Current: Longines Hydroconquest L3.642.4; G-shock G7900-4 (black modded),

Re: Some quick info on carbon fiber

Probably the strap itself, but the springbar connecting it to the watch body is likely the same as before. Meaning that a carbon fiber strap on a resin case with backplate is likely one of the stupidest ideas (at least in terms of improving robustness). Carbon fiber straps should at least be mounted to the watch and buckle with screwsbars in order to benefit from the more robust straps.

I don't think that the straps (the actual resin parts, not the construction parts joining it with the watch and buckle) are a common point of failure where strengthening through carbon fiber makes much sense.

I believe the question aims more in the direction of the longevity of the carbon fiber strap compared to the resin straps. My guess is that the outer resin will crumble just like on standard resin straps, but that the strap will not fall apart that fast as the inner carbon fiber hold it together. so it might hold the watch to your wrist longer, while looking eyually rough as standard resin straps.

It is true that a carbon fiber strap will not hold the strap any firmer to the case, as when something rips at the watch usually the springbar is the first thing that gives, and not the strap.
    Last edited by lowtech; July 14th, 2011 at 14:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is more of a "coolness" thing than a matter of pure practicality. Yes, they might last slightly longer. We won't know for a while because these models have not been out long enough to know. Ask again in 15 years.

Thread Information