Spare parts... "get them while you can" or "not worth it" ??
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Spare parts... "get them while you can" or "not worth it" ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Spare parts... "get them while you can" or "not worth it" ??

I bought a lot of spare parts over the years. Some of these I needed to refurbish watches, and some I bought as "insurance" against potential damage. In many cases, I lost interest in the watch itself before I ever ended up needing the spare parts. A couple of times, having the parts saved me after a scrape or a scratch.

These watches are not always cheap. In some cases, they are also limited and hard to find parts for after the fact. There are no 20th anniversary parts anymore to be found, and 25th anniversary parts are getting harder and harder to find, with a few exceptions (Casio made a LOT of dawn black frogman resin)

Here are my spare casebacks, which serve a couple of purposes (replace if the original gets scratched up, or replace if the sound stops working due to a bad speaker (it is adhered to the inside of the caseback))

I also have a couple of spare crystals, because you never know when these might get scratched, and they are a pain to polish.

Of course, there is always the mentality of "it's a G-shock, wear it hard and abuse it". While I do think this applies to some models, there are some that I don't want to beat up. I generally am not hard on my watches.

The motivation for buying spare parts has always been "what if you can't get it when you need it?" Because Casio is completely unpredictable in their choices to discontinue or keep producing spare parts, you never know if something will be around when you need it. The parts are usually cheap (casebacks are around $10 for uncoated, $20 for black ion plated, and $50 for DLC). Crystals are like $10. You never know when you will be able to buy a trashed watch cheap on ebay and replaced the damaged parts. I was able to buy and restore a GW-200TC frogman only because I happened to have a spare case center on hand.

Here are some of my parts, mainly for squares. I have lots of other parts, mostly bezels and bands, but a few gaskets and screws and other odds and ends. I know there are some people here who stockpile rare resins, but I am hesitant to have too much resin on hand because you never know what the shelf life will be, especially for resin that is already 10 years old. The casebacks and crystals, on the other hand, you can have for ages.

Last edited by kung-fusion; January 25th, 2014 at 18:10.
    nigelw, Mata, Ottovonn and 2 others like this.

Re: Spare parts... "get them while you can" or "not worth it" ??

''Because Casio is completely unpredictable in their choices to discontinue or keep producing spare parts, you never know if something will be around when you need it.''

Amen to that... same goes for watches, buy it while you can, you never know when Casio will discontinue the model. Recent GD-350-8 is great example, 1 year old watch and already discontinued.

I try not to think about spare parts. 5600c and other screwbacks are the only models I want to have spares (brazil bezel in that case), but for other I don't think about it.
    nigelw and ruizjaime26 like this.

Im getting everything i can for the watches i have, and the watches i will be getting. So, get them while you can imo.

My reason for getting spares is because i wear all my watches, even the limited editions. So if one day i want to retire a queen to the shelf.... i can restore it to her original glory.
    Last edited by ohai; January 25th, 2014 at 18:24.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I only buy spares for my screwback G-Shocks. Bezels, straps and case back gaskets. All resin gets vacuum sealed with a Seal-A-Meal machine.

If it has a module in common with a cheaper plastic G-Shock, I'll even stash away one or two of those.

Here's my Dawn Black Frogman box.

Contains:

• Dawn Black Frogman
    • 3 vacuum pack bezels
    • 3 vacuum packed straps
    • 3 case back gaskets
    • 4 spare spring bars
    • 4 vacuum packed strap adapters
    • 2 24mm black Zulu straps
    • case back wrench
    • precision screwdriver

I may end up doing the same with my GW-5000. So far, I've stockpiled 2 spare bezels, 2 spare straps, 1 set of bull bars, 2 complete DW-5600E's for spare resin and other possible parts, and 2 caseback gaskets. I may end up getting a spare module for it too.

I have spare Bezels and bands for most of my Froggies now, mainly as insurance so I can enjoy them for many years to come, but also the prices are only going to increase, especially for the limited 1000 series models.

After replacing beat up 4 year old resin as I collected the MIRO series (I got extra resin along the way), I have decided to get some for my orange king and yellow lightning wave as well. 4 years is really not that long and guys are even showing age on their couple month old lightning.

I believe in the "wear it" mentality. I also think you shouldn't be extra penalized for enjoying color.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Are screwbacks interchangeable? For example, could I buy a spare Frogman screwback cover and install it on my GW-5000? Would it be possible to swap around square screwback covers instead?
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Great question! And also, where does one get the spare parts? And how do you figure out what bezel model number goes with your watch? For instance, I just bought a GW-5000, and DW-5030C. I want spare case backs, bezels and straps for both. Do you just email casio and ask for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Are screwbacks interchangeable? For example, could I buy a spare Frogman screwback cover and install it on my GW-5000? Would it be possible to swap around square screwback covers instead?
    Nope. I'm afraid not.

You can swap bezels and straps on your GW-5000, but only ones that will fit a DW-5600E, and its many variants.

You have to be careful with G-Shock squares. They all look the same at first, buy there are 4 or 5 slightly different shaped case styles.

You can run searches from websites like pacparts.com or casiosalesandservice.com to see what they have that is compatible. If you know exactly what part you want from a specific model, Casio can help if the part is still manufactured.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Buzzbait; January 25th, 2014 at 21:18.
    nigelw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    You can swap some screwbacks. Like you can put a dw-5030c screwback on a gw-5000 or a dw-5000sl, etc. There are many possibilities. But you cannot put a frog back on a dw-5000-- they are different sizes.

Do not mix metals though. E.g. It would be bad to put a steel screwback on a titanium watch (although I have done it) it is not recommended

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information