Spring Bars vs Screw Bars for Casio G-Shock Straps

Thread: Spring Bars vs Screw Bars for Casio G-Shock Straps

Spring Bars vs Screw Bars for Casio G-Shock Straps

Hi all,

is Casio dropping the tradtional spring bars in favour or these newer long screws which seem to connect the strap to the bezel? I don't actually know fully how they work. Is there a spring bar between the two screws? On my G-7800 is looks as if there are the two screws screwed through the strap/bezel and a spring bar adjoining the two screws in the middle as well. On some other models it looks as if there are just 2 screws on each side where the strap connects.

What are the advantages of these compared to traditional spring bars? Of course if you need replacements you can't go to you local shop and buy them but go through Casio which would no doubt cost more.

My thoughts are that they:

- Could come loose more easily that spring bars due to the screws becoming loose at the thread.
    - Obviously more expensive to replace
    - Increased chance of stripping threads (although spring bar holes can also deform given enough use)
    - Could be stronger due to wider metal construction supporting more of the strap, however as far as I can see they don't touch in the middle of the watch?
    - Possibly may mean the straps have to be thicker at the connecting points?

Just thought I'd open a discussion.

Thanks for the info!
    Claud.

Re: Spring Bars vs Screw Bars for Casio G-Shock Straps

I brought this up before on the path to purchasing a Mudman and as far as durability is concerned, the screw type is stronger...

If you lose one, it'll be hard and a little bit more costly to buy a spare.

But another pro, is that they are easier to remove and put back in, just get a mini-screw driver set and you're set...while on the springbars, you'll need a fine notch springbar removal tool as the more common-size tools that are more readily available can't fit through the tight space found underneath, at the caseback.

I doubt that you'll strip the screw "grooves/treads/threads" if you'll just apply just enough torque(gentle pressure/screw in) to keep the screws/strap in place...you don't really need to reach the point where it can't turn anymore, you'll have overtightened it probably by this time already.

Banned

An often misunderstood and overlooked subject.
    One of the first things I noticed about the new frog when pictures were being posted was what looked like the lack of spring-bars, and having seen some of the weak set ups used by Casio on things like the Mudman {not really all that weak but not real impressive.. I was concerned but few have bothered to actually take the 1000 apart so I bought one so I could see how they were made.
    The 200 is a tough act to follow

A lot of people think a big fat spring bar is great but other than the ability to resist deflection in the middle which can pull the ends loose {not an issue with bracelets.., other than deflection, the strength of a spring-bar is no more than the shear strength of the tiny ends, Casio is one of the leaders in making the end bigger which adds to the bar's ability to resist shear off.
    here is a frog bar, a standard bar and the new frog screw

The stress point one the new system is well centered and very large, nice design.
    Some observations, if you over stress a spring-bar and it comes loose you will lose the strap and the watch, with one of the new frog screws out the strap is still reasonably secure.
    What I at first though was going to be a fault is actually a much better design overall.

I would also add that all modern spring-bars i've encountered are stainless which is a vast improvement over the spring-bars of 30 years ago which were plated brass, these were very weak and froze up from corrosion so often that i used to remove them by just sticking a knife blade between the watch and the strap and prying them off, you had to switch them every 10 weeks if you dove a lot and would also coat them with silicone grease on bracelet watches like Sub's and the old SM 300 so you could still get them off. I find the trend away from the old spring bar a positive step.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!! Is there a thread around? I tried to search but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Cheerio,
    Claud.

Quote Originally Posted by Claud View Post
    Thanks!! Is there a thread around? I tried to search but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Cheerio,
    Claud.
    Complete with poll to get a general concensus on the topic.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=259509

Thread Information