Springbars

Thread: Springbars

Springbars

Has anyone found a good source for decent 18mm springbars? For the second time I've managed to pull the strap off a watch at work (both times pulling a trolley through a narrow opening), bending a bar.

There's probably loads of eBay sellers who have 18mm bars, but the Casio ones are big thick solid looking things, and I'd like something equally tough.
    'I never done it'

Re: Springbars

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Has anyone found a good source for decent 18mm springbars? For the second time I've managed to pull the strap off a watch at work (both times pulling a trolley through a narrow opening), bending a bar.

There's probably loads of eBay sellers who have 18mm bars, but the Casio ones are big thick solid looking things, and I'd like something equally tough.
    I get them by the handful from my watchmaker. Probably another good reason we all should get friendly with a good local watchmaker.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Just ordered these.

They seem ok to me. And should be the same size that casio uses on my gw-5000.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    I get them by the handful from my watchmaker. Probably another good reason we all should get friendly with a good local watchmaker.
    i agree. if possible, this is the most satisfying solution.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Hi psymbiote,

Is this suitable for the Frogman?

Quote Originally Posted by psymbiote View Post
    Just ordered these.

They seem ok to me. And should be the same size that casio uses on my gw-5000.
    No one ever works out and regrets it. You never go for a run, and then when you're finished, wish you would have stayed home. You never climb a mountain, get to the top, and say, "I should have just been content to stay where I was."

This is where the trade gets them from -

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/667/733.aspx
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thanks for the replies.

One more question, and it's probably a stupid one. Is an Xmm springbar one which fits watches with lugs Xmm apart, or is it a springbar which is Xmm long?
    'I never done it'

Thanks for the replies.

One more question, and it's probably a stupid one. Is an Xmm springbar one which fits watches with lugs Xmm apart, or is it a springbar which is Xmm long?
    A 20mm springbar fits a 20mm (lug-to-lug) watch. 18mm fits an 18mm watch, and so on. They are slightly longer than their stated size, so you simply measure the between-the-lug distance and ask for that size.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Thought so.

But I made the mistake of asking in one of the big High Street chains here the same question, and they didn't know-and they wanted £2 for each bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    A 20mm springbar fits a 20mm (lug-to-lug) watch. 18mm fits an 18mm watch, and so on. They are slightly longer than their stated size, so you simply measure the between-the-lug distance and ask for that size.
    'I never done it'

Thought so.

But I made the mistake of asking in one of the big High Street chains here the same question, and they didn't know-and they wanted £2 for each bar.
    ...and that's why we all need to get real friendly with a good _competent_ watchmaker who knows their stuff and won't BS us. Most of them love talking about watches with people like us who love watches. Most chains know nothing, or worse... know just enough to badly screw up your favourite watch. Knowing a good watchmaker is a very Good Thing.

Thread Information