Squares and Modules - 1545/3229 vs The Rest
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By lazysquare
  • 3 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By lazysquare
  • 1 Post By lazysquare

Thread: Squares and Modules - 1545/3229 vs The Rest

Squares and Modules - 1545/3229 vs The Rest

Hopefully this is of some interest to someone, if not, feel free to troll me relentlessy...

I just bought my first new G-Shock in 10 years, and now i'm hooked again. Slim wrists limit me to squares, but luckily I like sharp angles and functional industrial design. However, having bought a GW-m5610, I was a little disappointed and returned it and went with the cheaper and "less functional" DW-5600e, which has a few things the GW-m5610 doesn't, the most notable of which:

- Current time displayed in CDT/STW modes.
    - Auto repeat CDT adjustable to the second
    - Louder beeps and alerts

It seems casio are leaving these features behind in a lot of newer tough solar models, which is very puzzling as to me they are almost essential and very little compromise would have to be made to include them. I can live without the DW-5600e's flashing alerts and day/date settable alarms (something the GW-m5610 also doesn't have) but I can't imagine many people want to be reminded what they set their CDT to or would need to measure down to the 100th of a second when their stopwatch goes over 1hr duration, so why not put the current time up there instead? The lack of an auto repeat CDT is even more baffling.

Perhaps casio is spreading features around so we need to buy multiple watches? Well it hasn't worked on me, here's hoping the extension to 2099 on the 3229 module means the DW-5600 series is here to stay. All the GW-m5610 whizz-bang-ery is sort of nice, but I have come to appreciate the absolute simplicity of it's older brother, everything I need and nothing I don't.

I like it so much I bought 3 from the 5600 family, and now keenly watching another on ebay. 35th Anniversary 3229 screwback? I'm waiting Casio... (maybe it has worked on me after all)
    GaryK30 and Aurevoir Gopher like this.

Re: Squares and Modules - 1545/3229 vs The Rest

Welcome to Watchuseek, and you're FAR from alone in your love of certain "squares" and their particular features!

While I don't need a CDT that auto-repeats or is adjustable to the second, MOST of us wish that current time were displayed in all modes -- here are just a few of the threads on the topic: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

As near as we can guess, Casio's fainter alarms and hourly chimes on their solar models are PROBABLY related to their desire to make the batteries last as long as possible on a charge, which also explains why solar EL backlight panels tend to be dimmer compared to "normal battery powered" models! On the one hand, we ask "why? We can always recharge them!" but on the other hand we recently saw another thread where we learned that at least two solar Seiko models only lasted about three months on a full charge, compared to ten or eleven months for most solar Casio models. So while those are probably REASONS Casio does things the way they do, many of us agree with you and wish they would make the alarms louder and the lights brighter on their solar models.

Yes, good points. Being from the dark wet UK, I'd rather switch a battery every 3-4 years than pray to the tough solar gods for some power. Multi-band is very cool, but a visit to time.is every month or so isn't a big hassle either. Multiple alarms and world time I just don't need, so it's less complication and one less mode to click through. Different strokes for different folks, but like you say, time in all modes seems to be a common complaint!

I was very late to the party, but without telling me, casio have built my near perfect watch in the dw-5600, and luckily they are cheap enough to buy a lifetime supply! just need that stealthed 35th anniversary screwback now with positive display and a 3329 module and, just take my money.
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lazysquare View Post
    Hopefully this is of some interest to someone, if not, feel free to troll me relentlessy...

I just bought my first new G-Shock in 10 years, and now i'm hooked again. Slim wrists limit me to squares, but luckily I like sharp angles and functional industrial design. However, having bought a GW-m5610, I was a little disappointed and returned it and went with the cheaper and "less functional" DW-5600e, which has a few things the GW-m5610 doesn't, the most notable of which:

- Current time displayed in CDT/STW modes.
    - Auto repeat CDT adjustable to the second
    - Louder beeps and alerts

It seems casio are leaving these features behind in a lot of newer tough solar models, which is very puzzling as to me they are almost essential and very little compromise would have to be made to include them. I can live without the DW-5600e's flashing alerts and day/date settable alarms (something the GW-m5610 also doesn't have) but I can't imagine many people want to be reminded what they set their CDT to or would need to measure down to the 100th of a second when their stopwatch goes over 1hr duration, so why not put the current time up there instead? The lack of an auto repeat CDT is even more baffling.

Perhaps casio is spreading features around so we need to buy multiple watches? Well it hasn't worked on me, here's hoping the extension to 2099 on the 3229 module means the DW-5600 series is here to stay. All the GW-m5610 whizz-bang-ery is sort of nice, but I have come to appreciate the absolute simplicity of it's older brother, everything I need and nothing I don't.

I like it so much I bought 3 from the 5600 family, and now keenly watching another on ebay. 35th Anniversary 3229 screwback? I'm waiting Casio... (maybe it has worked on me after all)
    Welcome to WUS, and a nice post for a start. I would quote the points I have highlighted in blue and try to chime in.

I can't imagine many people want to be reminded what they set their CDT to or would need to measure down to the 100th of a second when their stopwatch goes over 1hr duration, so why not put the current time up there instead? The lack of an auto repeat CDT is even more baffling.

This, and the flash alert thing - that's your specific requirement - the requirement for others may vary. If you look at it from my perspective, I can't live without the flash alert. And why do I need to look at the current time in the CDT mode and not vice-versa? I set my CDT for say, 10 minutes, and go back to timekeeping mode. The CDT will anyway beep after 10 minutes to let me know that 10 minutes are over. Same goes for the STW as well.

See what I mean to say? It's all a matter of personal tastes and preferences, and looking at the wide audience for G-shocks, it's impossible for Casio to design a "perfect module" which would match everyone's preference, since your preferences would vary from mine, and both of our preferences may differ from Mike's

Perhaps casio is spreading features around so we need to buy multiple watches?
    You can say that! But if you look at a different perspective, you can say that there are so many different modules so that you would find at least one module that suits you perfectly. But how long will it take for you to find that perfect module is anybody's guess. I came across "my perfect watch" in the DW-D5600P. It's probably not perfect for many others. It doesn't display the current time in CDT or STW modes, but it suits my needs prefectly.

Since it's your primary criteria that a the module should be able to display current time across all modes, while at the same time being a Solar/Atomic, you'd need to do a little bit of lookup to see if there is any module which suits your requirements perfectly. I assume the 3063 module from the GW-M5600 fulfills the above criteria, though the module could be pretty rare to find.
    Last edited by kmbijit; February 23rd, 2016 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by kmbijit View Post
    Welcome to WUS, and a nice post for a start. I would quote the points I have highlighted in blue and try to chime in.

I can't imagine many people want to be reminded what they set their CDT to or would need to measure down to the 100th of a second when their stopwatch goes over 1hr duration, so why not put the current time up there instead? The lack of an auto repeat CDT is even more baffling.

This, and the flash alert thing - that's your specific requirement - the requirement for others may vary. If you look at it from my perspective, I can't live without the flash alert. And why do I need to look at the current time in the CDT mode and not vice-versa? I set my CDT for say, 10 minutes, and go back to timekeeping mode. The CDT will anyway beep after 10 minutes to let me know that 10 minutes are over. Same goes for the STW as well.

See what I mean to say? It's all a matter of personal tastes and preferences, and looking at the wide audience for G-shocks, it's impossible for Casio to design a "perfect module" which would match everyone's preference, since your preferences would vary from mine, and both of our preferences may differ from Mike's

Perhaps casio is spreading features around so we need to buy multiple watches?
    You can say that! But if you look at a different perspective, you can say that there are so many different modules so that you would find at least one module that suits you perfectly. But how long will it take for you to find that perfect module is anybody's guess. I came across "my perfect watch" in the DW-D5600P. It's probably not perfect for many others. It doesn't display the current time in CDT or STW modes, but it suits my needs prefectly.

Since it's your primary criteria that a the module should be able to display current time across all modes, while at the same time being a Solar/Atomic, you'd need to do a little bit of lookup to see if there is any module which suits your requirements perfectly. I assume the 3063 module from the GW-M5600 fulfills the above criteria, though the module could be pretty rare to find.
    I believe the GW-M5600 doesn't display current time in STW, which was enough for it to be crossed off the list And it seems to be a trend for almost all the solar atomics now to ditch the time in all modes.

I liked to hear your perspective on it though, and glad to hear you found a perfect g-shock module! The DW-D5600P does have a lot of features that the other squares don't. My comment about spreading features around to get us to buy more was tongue in cheek really, different people have different needs of course, but sometimes it's difficult to understand why casio has changed something or removed it. For example, not including an auto repeat timer in the GW-m5610, it's not like you'd have to remove something else to include it. I guess we'll never know, and i'm sure some people don't care. And I still maintain that adding current time to CDT and STW modes would lose very little and satisfy more people than it irks. (although i suspect i've not convinced you there )

As for why I like current time in all modes except alarm - for me it's very useful for tasks when your hands are busy and a quick glance is all that is required to give you all the info you need, eg cooking with messy hands and being able to monitor how long is left on a cooking timer while simultaneously seeing the time and knowing how long you have until you need to leave. I also fly, so seeing an elapsed flight time in STW for fuel burn and the current time for reporting ETAs without taking hands off the controls is super useful. Just generally though I always find it nice to leave the watch in one mode and not have to switch between so much.

As for the DW-D5600P (i just read your review BTW -nice job and v. nice watch), it looks like it's still available but not in production?? At least it's not in the "origin" section of g-shock.jp. It would be frustrating for them to discontinue it and then not include those unique features in a watch again. Which is really my point, it seems that features pop up and disappear randomly as models come and go in different markets. Maybe they have a clear vision and I just don't see it, or maybe throwing features around actually brings more people into the g-shock club in the long run . But anyway, perhaps one day they will figure a way for us to configure our own module, now that would be great...
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

Thread Information