WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Steathing + or -

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  robocopu 
#1 ·
I see some folks stealthing their Gs. They look good but I was wondering does stealthing a G take away from its value or add to the value of a G? I know it will be some what of a personal choice as some folks like it and other may not. The question is if you buy a G, stealth it, and try to resell it will you be able to sell it for more or less that what you paid for it, all other things being equal.

#2 ·
I would have to say that it all would depend upon the buyer. Some G collectors would probably not be interested in a stealthed G. Those that love modded watches would be interested in it.

I don't think that stealthing a G would add more value to it. Most buyers would try to get the best deal that they can on a watch disregarding what mods are done to it. Well, at least I would . :-d

#3 · (Edited)
Well to be perfectly honest it's probably not going to "increase" the value.

But I need to point out that there are people that do alot of stealthing, unless its a job like that recent one (Buzzbait and his 6900?) where you are actually swapping buttons and such and really doing more than just soaking a bezel in Goof Off |> its not really that much of a difficulty so most wont "pay" for it special.

It may or may not impact the value, in all honesty I would answer your question this way..... " If you arent gonna wear it, I wouldnt buy it. G's are to cheap to try and make a profit (especially a big one), and any watch with *added value* like a vintage or collectible RARE is valuable in its native state, most people would consider modding a watch like this a destruction of any *added value* it might have. "

So if you dont like the watch I would probably try and sell it in its native state unless its really common and you wanna try and make it stand out from the crowd .... but I wouldnt ever *count on* making a profit from a G..... ever .... really (unless you hold onto it for 10+ years in hopes of it achieving vintage status).

#5 ·
Of course it would, but that's why for the most part people have only done it on the more common models like the DW-5600 (white letters on bezel removed), the 6900, etc.

The question of whether or not it loses or gains value depends on quite a few things, but like Docmonkey stated I would never expect to make a profit out of it. That said, it'd have to be an incredibly good stealth job for people to want to pay as much as the watch would normally cost, maybe more if you're lucky/skilled enough.

#6 ·
It lowers the value, I think, but value isn't really the point. I haven't done any stealthing, but it must give great satisfaction if, like Buzzbait, you do a neat job. I can't imagine buying a watch stealthed by someone else, but I can imagine being delighted with one I'd stealthed myself.

But then I never think of any of my watches in terms of value. Once the money is spent, it's gone. If I decide to move a watch on, all I'm looking for is a few quid towards the next one, and the satisfaction that another forum member now has the use of it.

#7 · (Edited)
Normally I don't give much about stealthing. I rather have a good looking watch, for everybody to see:) A great exception though for Buzzbait's recent Stealth project, which looks awesome. I almost feel the urge to give it a try myself :) About the worth of the watch, I'm with Tribe. It could not add value to a watch IMO.

Cheers,

Sjors

P.S. Stan, I think you should look at my G-People section in the next days.... I just got a great set of pictures. Keyword: A.D.M.A.;-) I think specially you will llike them.

#9 ·
"Stealthing" usually refers to the removal of paint from the rubber casing of a G-Shock, in order to eliminate the brighter colors. Stealthing can sometimes include actual modification of watch parts, or the swapping of parts from one G-Shock to another.

Here are some pics of a G-Shock, before and after "stealthing'.

#10 ·
AH,
I think I now have a reason to buy another G-Shock.
For "experimentation" purposes of course.

Seriously, G Shocks are the first watches I've seen that are similar to cars.
You take'em apart, Updgrade. Paint. etc ..........

And I am a car guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.