Stopwatch limitation on some analog Aviator Gs
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Stopwatch limitation on some analog Aviator Gs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lvt

Stopwatch limitation on some analog Aviator Gs

What do you think about the limited capability of the stopwatch function on some nice analog Aviator like the GW-4000, GW-A1000... ?

The stopwatch on the GW-4000 is limited to 24 minutes, the A1000 does slightly better with a 60 minutes stopwatch.

Unless I overlooked something, the GW-4000 even seems not to have a countdown timer ?

I like those analog Gs as they are some kind of smart robots, but the limitation of the stopwatch function worries me a bit when it comes to real life usage.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Re: Stopwatch limitation on some analog Aviator Gs

Yeah, a 24 min stopwatch wouldn't do me ANY good. Except when I'm grilling steaks. I personally think if a watch (of any make or kind, analog or digital) is going to have a chrono or stopwatch, then it should be capable of at least an hour...Anything less is just stupid in my opinion.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    What do you think about the limited capability of the stopwatch function on some nice analog Aviator like the GW-4000, GW-A1000... ?

The stopwatch on the GW-4000 is limited to 24 minutes, the A1000 does slightly better with a 60 minutes stopwatch.

Unless I overlooked something, the GW-4000 even seems not to have a countdown timer ?

I like those analog Gs as they are some kind of smart robots, but the limitation of the stopwatch function worries me a bit when it comes to real life usage.
    Aviator series did have their limitation, however, some G's such as the GIEZ GS-1300, GS-1400, some MT-G's or the high end MR-G 8100 series did have 24 hour stopwatch and countdown timer. However, there is no "Smart Access" features on all these model. Casio would not able to pack in all the features in a one watch, if you like the "Smart Access", the Aviator suitable for you, whereas if like the premium analogue series, the MR-G may suit for you. However be prepare to pay more on these premiums...

cheers
    Last edited by yschow; November 14th, 2012 at 06:30.
    Current Collections (G-Shock, Protrek & Others)
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/members/yschow/albums/

*Wish List: ​Completed

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The GW-4000 and GW-3000 does not come with a countdown timer. I agree with you that the stopwatch functions on the aviators, especially the 3000/4000, are quite terrible and I wish they could make the stopwatch 24 hours like the Edifice.

Having said that however, I am not sure if a stopwatch on an analogue watch is ever really practical to begin with. It is not so easy to read 1/20th of a second on an analogue dial. In fact, it can be tedious to use. When I need to use a stopwatch, I'd rather grab a digital. I do use the countdown timer function on my RAF though. I find that useful and get a kick out of seeing the hands run...

The stopwatch on the GW-A1000 is limited to 120 minutes and not 60, it is the timer that is limited to 60 minutes.

I am not to bothered by this, since I have different expectations on a analogue compared to a digital one.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    The stopwatch on the GW-A1000 is limited to 120 minutes and not 60, it is the timer that is limited to 60 minutes.

I am not to bothered by this, since I have different expectations on a analogue compared to a digital one.

Thanks for the info, it's a good news.

It's a shame, I really like the GW-4000 and just started looking more in the detail, but the limited stopwatch and the lack of countdown timer virtually makes the watch useless to me, I use a lot of those functions in real life.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Personally, I came to the conclusion, that analog chrono's just don't do it for me. I like the look on some of them but thats about it. Even with a 24h stw and 24h cdt as the GW-2000 has, the use is rather fiddly and impractical, if I need more than telling the time I stick to digital watches (or my handheld weatherstation or cell phone which I EDC anyway). For me it turned out that a simple three hands watch is the best way for an analog - no subdials, no cluttered design, just telling the time. And it also turned out that I prefer Seiko 5's for their legibility, build quality, lume and ruggedness over any analog Casio - by a mile.

Besides that, why Casio is limiting their chronos to ridiculous short stw's is a mystery to me and pretty embarrasing considered that any mechanical chrono with a valjoux 7750 for instance, is capable of a 12 hours stopwatch...

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; November 14th, 2012 at 08:03.
    lvt likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    Personally, I came to the conclusion, that analog chrono's just don't do it for me. I like the look on some of them but thats about it.
    You're spot on. The multiple functions (however crippled they may be) are also close to unusable due to the complexity involved with reading the analog hands and waiting for them to rotate into position. Nothing beats digital displays with feature-rich watches.

Banned

then it should be capable of at least an hour

Having layed out the complexity of using stopwatch on the GW4000, i'm the first to admit that if you need to use the function there are better watches for it. Though one WUS'er said it was perfect for his cooking daily.
    I personally don't have a need for stopwatch or countdown in my daily life. I want a tough watch that i can tell the time with. These accomplish that handily for me with the triple-g resist.
    lvt likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information