storing a g-shock?

Thread: storing a g-shock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

storing a g-shock?

Greetings, i was hoping i could get some advice. With my g-shock collection, there's some i wear, and some i don't. what would be the best way to store or protect the g-shocks that i dont wear? as of now, i just try to keep them clean and in a neutral environment. is there something specific i should be doing to extend the life and quality of the watch? thank you.

Re: storing a g-shock?

Quote Originally Posted by da3risemen View Post
    Greetings, i was hoping i could get some advice. With my g-shock collection, there's some i wear, and some i don't. what would be the best way to store or protect the g-shocks that i dont wear? as of now, i just try to keep them clean and in a neutral environment. is there something specific i should be doing to extend the life and quality of the watch? thank you.
    I have a watch stand in the works... I'll post pictures when it's done. Others have foam padded boxes or display cases. It depends on the ammount of money you want to spend.

If I were looking for a low cost and easy solution to storing the watches, I'd keep them in their original boxes if I didn't plan on wearing them. Not as glamorous, but cheap and effective.

If I were looking to put them on display... well, you'll have to wait for my project.
    DW-003S, DW-5600C, G-306X, G-741D, GE-2000, GT-001, GW-200MS, GW-5600J, GW-9010, GW-9100, GW-9200, MTG-920DA, MTG-520M

Wanted: MRG-1200T

thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing your completed project. With my particular g-shocks, i only have 2 original boxes out of the 8+ g-shocks i have. I realize thats not alot of watches compared to others on this forum. But im sure all will agree, its not how many g-shocks we own, its the "pride" we take in owning them. even if its just one.:gold Im rambling now arent I? :-X any how, thanks again for the advice. A foam padded case seems like it'll do the trick. take care. And please post some pics when u have that project completed. I always love seeing new, or at least new to me, g-shocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on the model and what type of battery it has. Here's what I do:

If it's any watch that I'll store for more than 10 years I first clean it off in the shower as much as possible then wrap it in a towel and leave it there for a month to let it completely dry out. Then I take the back off and clean the channel, gasket and back, remove the battery, lube up the gasket and put it back together and store it in a ziplock bag marked "should work needs battery".

If it's Lithium powered I just turn off all alarms, countdowns and other battery using stuff and store it. Lithium can last 10-15 years but I seperate it from the ones in the bag so I know if it has a dead display the battery is dead, not removed.

If it's solar I store it in darkness where I don't have to look at it and take it out one every 3 months to charge it. I never let them go completely dead.

I don't buy watches powered by Alkaline batteries. They last 3-5 years and are notorious for leaking.

I store my watches in a fire proof safe.

I know what OCD is from personal experience!

Banned

Greetings from Milwaukee ,

There are cases you can buy from Lowe's for around $25, which is a pretty good deal. Someone had recently bought a couple from there, and the foam padding even comes perforated now so there is now no need for cutting. I was thinking about going over there one of these days sometime.

MOST not all thou a mine are solar ! I don't persay store them ! as Casio says to keep the cell right you need to keep it in light as MUCH as posible ! So I keep mine under a what we call here a Ott light it creates natural light ! Maybe known by somthing else in other countrys . There cheap to burm last a long time and keep my G Shocks and Citizen Echo drives full charge at all times ! when Iam not wearing them . I expect letting them set even in the sleep mode is what causes cell failure ! I was told by Citizen USA that they think that and its best to keep them in some kina light when NOT in use and you will have much less of a problem with solar cell failure !! as for storage in a watch box or some kina case I personaly don't think its very good for the solar models but fine for non solar ! Just my 2 cents ..by the way I have never had a solar cell fail in almost 10 yrs ....

Took a while to find exactly what I wanted, but here it is -

I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by Cherubim View Post
    I have a watch stand in the works... I'll post pictures when it's done. Others have foam padded boxes or display cases. It depends on the ammount of money you want to spend.

If I were looking for a low cost and easy solution to storing the watches, I'd keep them in their original boxes if I didn't plan on wearing them. Not as glamorous, but cheap and effective.

If I were looking to put them on display... well, you'll have to wait for my project.
    Would you mind sharing what you plan on putting together? I am planning on making one, and would love any advice.

My plan is to use some maple, stain it a nice cherry color, have a very small raised base, use acrylic for the shelves (Lowe's sells it and will cut it to spec), and also have some sort of slim light fixture in the top of it. Dimensions, etc. unknown right now.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by solar g-shocker View Post
    Would you mind sharing what you plan on putting together? I am planning on making one, and would love any advice.

My plan is to use some maple, stain it a nice cherry color, have a very small raised base, use acrylic for the shelves (Lowe's sells it and will cut it to spec), and also have some sort of slim light fixture in the top of it. Dimensions, etc. unknown right now.

Neil
    That sounds pretty cool, but I was taking a welding art class for fun and made something a little different. It's made of horse shoes and can display about 8 watches at a time hanging from the "branches." I don't have the display pieces for my G's so I couldn't make something with shelves.

I'd be happy to draw up some design ideas for your shelving unit however if you'd like.
    DW-003S, DW-5600C, G-306X, G-741D, GE-2000, GT-001, GW-200MS, GW-5600J, GW-9010, GW-9100, GW-9200, MTG-920DA, MTG-520M

Wanted: MRG-1200T

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Here's a few of my storage systems.

Note those Japan Post boxes.. Around ten months old not opened yet full of G-Shock's:-D

The display boxes are good for solar, but when you have many G's and only two cases to store, not much good.

The bookshelf was a cheap buy form a discount store to organize watches that I will sell on EBay. It's not much good either as it need to be much bigger.

I had around sixty when I returned from Japan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information