STRAP....how long does it last?

Thread: STRAP....how long does it last?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STRAP....how long does it last?

Hi all,
    How long does the strap last? What causes it to break? i love my Gs ...thanks

Re: STRAP....how long does it last?

I believe lot of abuse and salt water including your sweat are the killers of resin strap. At a normal use they are supposed to last any where between 5 to 10 years. However, I strongly believe with little care they are capable of lasting even longer.

so i guess i better take my G off during my workout and swim then. and then what would happen after 5 or 10 years? how do they break? i mean do they gone limp and soft first and suddenly just break in half? sorry i ask you too many questions and thanks for your help:)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well yes taking them off during such activities might prolong their life, but isn't that just the kind of thing they were made to be put through? I'd rather wear them during anything and accept that once every 5 to 10 years I have to replace a strap!

That being said, I do make sure I wear my rarer G's or those with hard-to-replace resin on days that I know I'll take it easy. But most G's, I wouldn't think twice about doing whatever with them.

Also, in the very worst case scenario, I'll end up with a watch for which I can no longer find an original replacement strap - should this ever come to pass, I can still use adapters and a Zulu strap of sorts..

In short, just wear them! They'll be fine for a long time to come, and afterwards you'll still manage to wear them one way or another:)

Paul

The two on the left (DW-5000 & DW-5200) have original straps from the '80's ( marked 141F3 through 141F6). Though the first model came with 141F1's I am told. It seems the straps can last decades with minimal wear. The real problem on these early ones was the bezels. They tend to crumble fairly easily. I believe this is due to the sweat & grime getting underneath them and eating away at the resin. I use Maguiars Rubber & Vinyl cleaner on my resin straps. Good Luck -Ronbo

Quote Originally Posted by Patra View Post
    so i guess i better take my G off during my workout and swim then. and then what would happen after 5 or 10 years? how do they break? i mean do they gone limp and soft first and suddenly just break in half? sorry i ask you too many questions and thanks for your help:)
    Actually, that wasn't my point. Knowing what deteriorate resin helps you on how to take care of them. What I mean is wear them whenever you want but make sure if you work up a real sweat or go into salt water wash it afterwards with clean fresh water and dry or wipe it clean. Just take care of them after a heavy use and they will last longer than others. Back to your question, they break with what they call is Resin Rot basically the rubber gets brittle and break apart or crumble. Early resin bands were more susceptible to this scenario. Current production is supposed to be much better but I guess time will tell for sure...

Resin straps are pretty lasting actually... if they are not subjected to salt water ....
    But no worries about them failing as they cost not much to replace

Inactive

Anybody knows where I can purchase extra strap for GW-9200MBJ?

It's a standard GW-9200 strap, isn't it? If so, your local Casio service centre will be able to provide one.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It's a standard GW-9200 strap, isn't it? If so, your local Casio service centre will be able to provide one.
    Not exactly, it has a black buckle, I'm looking for one as well...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information