Stripped Bezel screws...

Thread: Stripped Bezel screws...

Stripped Bezel screws...

Just bought a classic 6900 from ebay to use for parts (band and bezel). As I start to take it off, I notice the bezel screws are stripped completely. I managed to get two off, but the others wouldn't budge. At least I didn't try hard, I don't want to make matters worse. I'm worried I will not be able to get them out!

Any solutions, guys????

I hope someone has got an answer...

NEVERMIND!!!

I man'ed up and got the screws out using a little elbow grease. Now to buy some new screws!!

By the way, how do I edit the thread title???
    Last edited by G_Me; November 6th, 2009 at 05:12.

Re: Stripped Bezel screws...

What exactly was this elbow grease you're talking about because it sure can help me to get this one(1) stripped screw out of one of our car's remote keys.
    The remote's battery is dead.
    TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by tirat View Post
    What exactly was this elbow grease you're talking about because it sure can help me to get this one(1) stripped screw out of one of our car's remote keys.
    The remote's battery is dead.
    TIA.

Oh, I just pushed down really hard on the screwdriver to get some more friction and torque, hehe.

I did a search on the forums, looks like using a dremel to cut new "lines" in the screw is a common solution. But the problem with that is damaging any surrounding casing. Perhaps using needle-nosed pliers can work too? I read that worked for a forum member as well.

Other than that, I didn't really find too many solutions on the forums... My driver side door won't unlock with my remote for some reason, its real annoying. So I get why you want to change your batteries. I hope you get it out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, dead remote keys are a BIG PITA...

I tried the above push down harder, a few times already without success. Luckily G-Shocks don't have the bezel screwholes with glue in them, my remote has this blue colored glue and the metal used in the screw felt really brittle/soft when I stripped them.

Anyways I can have it taken out at the local dealership, one of the guys that called in sick that day I came in for some maintenance work had a special tool for the stripped mini-screws as the easier to find left hand drill bit and stripped screw remover is usually too big.

So if any of you other guys have this problem, you might try asking your local car dealership.

Hey what exactly is a stripped bezel screw? Which part is stripped? The watch body itself? The screw? Anyone mind to share some pix ~

Suspended

There is a tool called a screw extractor that basically fits into a drill and bites into what is left of the screw head.

Here's a set that is a simple manual turn. Smallest one is 1.1mm x 1.5mm which I guess should ba small enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JCT3W0

I am not necessarily recommending these, but it is something to help your search.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Me View Post

By the way, how do I edit the thread title???
    Great that you managed to find a cure in the end

For editing thread titles...click on 'Edit', then 'Go Advanced' - done!

I use the dremel method when it is a regular screw and I can't mess up anything around the screw. For smaller or more delicate items, I use a small drill bit for metal that has the screw backwards. It basically unscrews it for you. You can buy a set at Sears for $20. Worth it if you rehab old things and deal with screw issues regularly. I once saw my dad use a small drill bit to make a hole in the middle, and then insert a drill bit that was one size bigger by tapping it with a finish hammer. Then he put the drill down on the bit, tightened it, and ran the drill in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
    I use the dremel method...
    A woman handy with Dremel...what more could a man wish for

I only wish my wife was a bit more on a handy-Mandy side

Good on 'ya Catherine!

Thread Information