Subliminal messages in the beeps of my G-Shocks
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Subliminal messages in the beeps of my G-Shocks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Subliminal messages in the beeps of my G-Shocks

I'm starting to wonder if there are subliminal messages in the beeps of my G-Shocks??? Why such an obsession for these watches I knew nothing about a month ago? (yes I hang my head in shame) The nights searching Amazon and E-Bay for that perfect bargin, my Amazon price watcher letting me know the lowest price in the past and emailing me if said watch should hit my target price. The telling of G-Shock toughness stories to friends that could care less and just fire back with are you going to space or ever being frozen solid??? The puzzled look on my wifes face when I wear my cheap plastic watch (What will she say when she finds my other three???) Will she have me commited to a budget hospital?? Will I have fifty of these in a year?

My neighbor who after I told him about my new collecting hobby, and then asked if he could take civilians on base to the PX (Yes he can but he must buy the items and they are tax free yipeee!!!)
    Well after telling me that the rubber braclets are cheap and break this neighbor brings out a very abused battery dead 6900 I swore was chewed on by rats and lions and thrown in twenty different paint cans because the bezel looked so bad... the crystal was in great shape though we both observed....

He then tells me he has one he was given while in the Navy in early 2000 that has an altimeter that he played with a few times when his wife and him traveled to Big Bear. I tell him this sounds like the Riseman (trying to act like an expert with my few weeks experiance) He says he has no idea and I ask if I can see it ??? He says it buried in his messy office somwhere.

So now my brain spins in thought......... what watch is it ,does it work, is it as beat up as the other one, when and if he finds it will he sell or give it to me??? Such is the trip into my G-Shock obsessed mind I hope you enjoyed your stay. I think I'll hit the wife up for a brand new Riseman for my July Birthday, but right now I need to go to Wally-World and pick up that mint 6900 I saw tempting me.
    G-Shock DW9052-1V, DW9052-2, DW5600E-1V, G9000-1V, Invicta 8926OB, Casio MDV102-1AV, Citizen BL6005-01E

Re: Subliminal messages in the beeps of my G-Shocks

Sounds like you've got it bad, i completely understand though. I hadn't wanted a G Shock since i was 7 or so until last month. now i have a 9052, 8400 mudman men in black 2, and am bidding on a couple other currently. it's bad. . . . but at least you get some way cool watches out of this addiction!

I do think I have it bad for now at least hehe. I did have enough control to not waste gas and call Wally World about the 6900. They want $64??? Holyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I don't think so. What I really want is a 6600 with out the orange G in it. I have seen some on E-Bay but one pic of the sellers watch may show G and the other not so I don't know how to find one.
    G-Shock DW9052-1V, DW9052-2, DW5600E-1V, G9000-1V, Invicta 8926OB, Casio MDV102-1AV, Citizen BL6005-01E

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I can relate. I owned a few Casio watches in my early youth, one of them a G-Shock (DW-5200C). Back then, they weren't looked upon as collectibles, so they went through the paces of being beat up. I've no idea what happened to my DW-5200C... Anyway, some 20 years later after going without any G-Shocks in my possession, I wander over to this forum and I'm blown away by the buzz (I joined WUS because of other watch brands). I'm like, "what's going on?" And that's when I learn about how Casio has cultivated the product line, improving upon it in many ways. Rather than indiscriminately buying the first watch model I saw, I spent some time browsing the models and drafting up my wish list. I finally bought one, the GW-M5600BC. I really like it, despite a few drawbacks (like seriously anemic beep tones). The others on my list would cost a lot more, so I'd just plan out my budget and buy them down the road.

But then... you get that itch. You want another, because there are so many different appealing designs. The easiest way to satisfy the urge is to buy used. You can sometimes find terrific bargains. And then you can get caught up in this, observing the sales sub forums, eBay, CraigsList, etc. In the end, you'll end up with a lot of watches, with quite a number that you'll probably rarely wear. I think it's better to be selective. And to remember to appreciate the ones you already own. :)
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    I can relate. I owned a few Casio watches in my early youth, one of them a G-Shock (DW-5200C). Back then, they weren't looked upon as collectibles, so they went through the paces of being beat up. I've no idea what happened to my DW-5200C... Anyway, some 20 years later after going without any G-Shocks in my possession, I wander over to this forum and I'm blown away by the buzz (I joined WUS because of other watch brands). I'm like, "what's going on?" And that's when I learn about how Casio has cultivated the product line, improving upon it in many ways. Rather than indiscriminately buying the first watch model I saw, I spent some time browsing the models and drafting up my wish list. I finally bought one, the GW-M5600BC. I really like it, despite a few drawbacks (like seriously anemic beep tones). The others on my list would cost a lot more, so I'd just plan out my budget and buy them down the road.

But then... you get that itch. You want another, because there are so many different appealing designs. The easiest way to satisfy the urge is to buy used. You can sometimes find terrific bargains. And then you can get caught up in this, observing the sales sub forums, eBay, CraigsList, etc. In the end, you'll end up with a lot of watches, with quite a number that you'll probably rarely wear. I think it's better to be selective. And to remember to appreciate the ones you already own. :)

Very good advice thank you.

To answer your first question, it's not subliminal messages in the beeps, because I have all my chimes turned off, buttons muted, and no daily alarms set. I thinks it's some sort of mind beam sent through the EL or the digits themselves!! I'm in the same boat as you. I received 3 brand new Gs this past week, and I told myself I'm done (at least for the month). But I keep returning to my eBay bookmark and the WUS Sales forum. I even made a full day trip to the McKinney 3rd Monday Traders market. I'm constantly looking for the next one. I find myself watching auctions on eBay for Gs that I don't really like, but it says G Shock and it's one I DON'T have...yet...My wife doesn't understand it. Although, after buying her 5 Baby Gs, including two Baby Frogs, in the past year, she's starting to get the bug, too. So I tell myself this. It's a hobby. I like to collect them, clean them, mod them. I like spending 10 extra minutes in the morning figuring out which G(s) I'm going to wear that day and what to match with it. I like taking pictures of them and sharing them with other WIS like myself. Most of all, I love the hunt for the next one. Every man needs some sort of hobby and this one is mine. When that's not convincing enough I remind my wife and myself that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than collecting cars!!!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

god that's the truth, i got back into watches recently when i decided i needed to take a break from buying the rest of the parts to put my supercharger on my svt cobra. g shocks are just too cool, relatively inexpensive and so much diversity, there's at least a few for everyone's taste it seems. . . .or maybe that's just projection haha

buying used is a great way to go, and it seems my personal taste likes models that are no longer produced anyway.

also pretty sure the EL backlight is to blame to the pervasive thoughts of G, i have a hard time not keeping the button down at night

Well I'm going to try and stop at fourteen so I can wear each watch twice in a month Thats at least my current plan

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mystic View Post

also pretty sure the EL backlight is to blame to the pervasive thoughts of G, i have a hard time not keeping the button down at night
    I have a similar theory too... I've always wondered about the auto EL disclaimer/warning in the manual. How could that cause a car accident? ...maybe day-dreaming about the next one.
    2013: Android AD576BK Divemaster Espionage 2 | Vostok Amphibian 710059 | Vostok Amphibian 710634 | Vostok Amphibian 710526 | Momentum Base Layer (sapphire)
    2014: Maranez Layan | Vostok Amphibian 09013M | Casio MDV106-1A

2015: Vostok Amphibian 100657 | Vostok Amphibian 420914

My husband often thinks things are talking to him, like the TV. He has schizophrenia, so that comes with the territory. When stuff starts talking to him, I give him his meds and throw him in bed.
    DaGrumps likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information