Suggestion of a model for cycling

Thread: Suggestion of a model for cycling

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Suggestion of a model for cycling

i am looking for a model that i can use for cycling - I don't need any advanced features as i have a GPS on the bike - Just looking for a watch that is light and easy to read

what is the most popular as well

thanks

Wink Re: Suggestion of a model for cycling

I think about every G-Shock is good for cycling. Just not use a negative display model, as they are sometimes harder to read under different angles. If I ride along the shorelines, I like to wear a Gulfman (G-9100) or in the dunes a Riseman (though we do not have real mountains here). A Mudman or a G(W)-5500 model is great for riding in the mud.

Do you have a Garmin unit on your bike? I have a Garmin Etrex Legend Europe, that has served me well the past 3 years.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: Suggestion of a model for cycling

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I think about every G-Shock is good for cycling. Just not use a negative display model, as they are sometimes harder to read under different angles.
    Agreed. I personally choose to wear a Riseman or 5600. But I often find I don't look at the watch much as I have a cycle computer which I find easier (and safer) to use. I say just stick to your GPS for checking the time while riding...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wear my Protrek PRG-80 when I cycle. I do not have a computer on the bike so my wrist instrument is important. I have found the Protreks to be useful. I use the altimeter to record each session, the stopwatch to record total time on the bike so I know when to turn back, I have used the compass while mountain biking, and of course the display is huge.

Though the watch is large it wears light on the wrist.

I don't require exacting measurements, so this approach works fine for me. I do 99.9 of my cycling on my road bikes. Both my road bikes are vintage Japanese (Bridgestone and Panasonic) so they go nicely with my Casio watches

cheers
    Go Dortmund!

Cycling is when I really do get to enjoy the feayures of my Riseman the most. Temps and Alt modes come in REALLY handy.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 4 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Light and easy to read? DW-5600. If you're talking being able to do specialized training with it (like intervals?), I'd get a 7700 or 7710. With the dual repeating times that can be activated in series, you could do five inervals before having to reset the watch. And it keeps track of lap times not altogether unlike an Ironman. Speaking as a road biker that used to train specifically for criterium and road-type races, and a few time trials, the 7700 is the one for me. The only watch that I've seen to compare or beat it was one that Timex made about a decade and a half ago that had a specialized timer on it that you could set for intervals. But I haven't seen anything like that in a long time except for the 7700/7710. And the 77x0 looks better than the Timex did, and should last longer. I dropped that Timex once on concrete from about 3 feet, and it was done. Never worked again, and I never found another. Shouldn't have that problem with any G.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Light and easy to read? DW-5600. If you're talking being able to do specialized training with it (like intervals?), I'd get a 7700 or 7710. With the dual repeating times that can be activated in series, you could do five inervals before having to reset the watch. And it keeps track of lap times not altogether unlike an Ironman. Speaking as a road biker that used to train specifically for criterium and road-type races, and a few time trials, the 7700 is the one for me. The only watch that I've seen to compare or beat it was one that Timex made about a decade and a half ago that had a specialized timer on it that you could set for intervals. But I haven't seen anything like that in a long time except for the 7700/7710. And the 77x0 looks better than the Timex did, and should last longer. I dropped that Timex once on concrete from about 3 feet, and it was done. Never worked again, and I never found another. Shouldn't have that problem with any G.
    Good points, all of which speak to the watch matching the type of cycling you do. I tend to prefer more climbing over training on the flats, so the altimeter is a must for me. If one is more into interval sprinting, time trialing, as you say the 7700 series looks good.

Of course if you really want to cover all the bases, forget about g-shocks and protreks and get a Garmin Edge 705 This device gives you quite literally everything and it's GPS-driven. You might have some trouble strapping it on your wrist after a ride, so you'll still need some type of Casio!

Cheers
    Go Dortmund!

lol, I ride with my dw-6900ms, it was cheap and black is a good color for getting dirty. I know that the reverse display makes it harder to read, but I dont really use it while I am actually pedalling, since Im too busy trying to hop over logs and rocks.

That Garmin is NICE, although even it doesn't have the timer capability of the 77x0.

I'm with indyzzzz, though; wearing my DW-6900 for biking this very day.

I use either my Riseman or my Suunto Core for mountain biking. The barometer function is simply superb when deciding on how long to stay out due to weather conditions.

I must say that the G-Shock is better in terms of durability.

Catch22.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information