Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member behnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iran / Tehran
    Posts
    60

    Confused Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Recently casio uses super illuminator instead of neon illuminator. For example, the new sky cockpit ga1100 has super iiluminator but ga1000 has neon one. and also in edifice line up the new era500 has super and era300 has neon.
    I saw in era300 user manual that they use uv led for it. Im curious about why they change the illuminator technology and I think may be neon illuminator is harmful because of uv led!!
    what do u think?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    171

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    I saw in era300 user manual that they use uv led for it. Im curious about why they change the illuminator technology and I think may be neon illuminator is harmful because of uv led!!
    Casio has not changed the illuminator technology in general- some models have neon illuminator, some have super illuminator.
    Super illuminator is a bright white LED which lightens the dial and hands.
    Neon illuminator is a UV LED that is not really bright, but the hands and index have a special lume which is activated by UV light.
    So the neon illuminator is more subtile, while super illuminator is so bright that i can be used as a flashlight.

    You can be sure that no light of any watch can be harmful to your eyes! A watch battery does not provide enough power to be harmful.
    Last edited by RHJones; July 26th, 2015 at 03:14. Reason: changed 1x "neon" to "super"... thanks, Mike K
    JohnQFord and Mike K like this.

  3. #3
    Member Mike K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,784

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Quote Originally Posted by RHJones View Post
    So the neon illuminator is more subtile, while neon illuminator is so bright that i can be used as a flashlight.
    Should one of those two "neon's" read "super" instead? If I had to guess, I'd guess it would be the second one.
    alexs12 and RHJones like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member behnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Iran / Tehran
    Posts
    60

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Quote Originally Posted by RHJones View Post
    Casio has not changed the illuminator technology in general- some models have neon illuminator, some have super illuminator.
    Super illuminator is a bright white LED which lightens the dial and hands.
    Neon illuminator is a UV LED that is not really bright, but the hands and index have a special lume which is activated by UV light.
    So the neon illuminator is more subtile, while neon illuminator is so bright that i can be used as a flashlight.

    You can be sure that no light of any watch can be harmful to your eyes! A watch battery does not provide enough power to be harmful.
    As u know ga1000 and ga1100 are the same line up, ga1100 is the newer version of ga1000. Also, I saw two items in era300 user manual which is use uv led that made me doubtful about being harmful!
    1. Do not look directly at the ultra violet light source.
    2. Do not use lens or other object to concentrate ultra violet led light.

  6. #5
    Member Mike K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,784

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Quote Originally Posted by behnam View Post
    Also, I saw two items in era300 user manual which is use uv led that made me doubtful about being harmful!
    1. Do not look directly at the ultra violet light source.
    2. Do not use lens or other object to concentrate ultra violet led light.
    Everybody says those exact same two things about the sun, too, but it's more beneficial than harmful.

    Glass windows block a lot of UV light -- how many people get sunburns through a window? So the crystal in a watch probably blocks a lot of the UV coming from the led, which is obviously much less powerful than the sun.

    Many owners manuals also tell us not to look directly at "normal" LED lights, as well.
    RHJones and ShaggyDog like this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NASHVILLE
    Posts
    810

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    For my .02 cents worth. I have an older MRG with the Super Illuminator along with the auto tilt wrist light activation feature. The illumination is so bright if I wear it when sleeping it will wake me up its activated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RHJones likes this.
    CURRENT COLLECTION
    Seiko-SBDN013,SAGZ011,SBDC005,GW-4000D-1AJF,WC-IRW-M200DTM-7JR​,Citizen-BN0000-04H,Wempe-Zeitmeister-WM60-0001,Ω2200.51.00

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    171

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Should one of those two "neon's" read "super" instead? If I had to guess, I'd guess it would be the second one.
    Mike K, you are absolutely right. Thanks for the hint, I corrected my posting!

  9. #8
    Member Everdying's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Anfield
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Everybody says those exact same two things about the sun, too, but it's more beneficial than harmful.

    Glass windows block a lot of UV light -- how many people get sunburns through a window? So the crystal in a watch probably blocks a lot of the UV coming from the led, which is obviously much less powerful than the sun.

    Many owners manuals also tell us not to look directly at "normal" LED lights, as well.
    i can see tan lines on my wrist where my watch is, all from driving.

  10. #9
    Member Knives and Lint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle(West)/Florida(NSB)
    Posts
    3,391

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    The UV illumination on the GA1000 is an amazing feature, and to be honest, this is what actually persuaded me to purchase this watch in the first place. One drawback however, is that it does nothing to illuminate the digital portion of the watch. That being said, I would gladly welcome this feature on any fully analog Casio.




  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

    Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    The UV illumination on the GA1000 is an amazing feature, and to be honest, this is what actually persuaded me to purchase this watch in the first place. One drawback however, is that it does nothing to illuminate the digital portion of the watch. That being said, I would gladly welcome this feature on any fully analog Casio.
    Can you set the duration of illumination? 1sec,3secs etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. FS: Casio MDV102-1AV "Super Illuminator" Sea Analog Illuminator Dual LED Dive Watch
      By Teddyhanna in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: August 28th, 2013, 15:18
    2. FS: Casio Baby-G Neon Illuminator BGA-133-1B Womens Watch
      By rahul.creationwatches in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: January 8th, 2013, 09:15
    3. Replies: 4
      Last Post: August 1st, 2011, 08:24
    4. BGA-131 with Neon Illuminator
      By NC Mystic in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: May 3rd, 2011, 19:50
    5. FS : G Shock MTG - 520 Neon Illuminator
      By wristrested in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: August 10th, 2008, 23:29

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •