Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

Recently casio uses super illuminator instead of neon illuminator. For example, the new sky cockpit ga1100 has super iiluminator but ga1000 has neon one. and also in edifice line up the new era500 has super and era300 has neon.
    I saw in era300 user manual that they use uv led for it. Im curious about why they change the illuminator technology and I think may be neon illuminator is harmful because of uv led!!
    what do u think?

Re: Super Illuminator vs Neon Illuminator

I saw in era300 user manual that they use uv led for it. Im curious about why they change the illuminator technology and I think may be neon illuminator is harmful because of uv led!!
    Casio has not changed the illuminator technology in general- some models have neon illuminator, some have super illuminator.
    Super illuminator is a bright white LED which lightens the dial and hands.
    Neon illuminator is a UV LED that is not really bright, but the hands and index have a special lume which is activated by UV light.
    So the neon illuminator is more subtile, while super illuminator is so bright that i can be used as a flashlight.

You can be sure that no light of any watch can be harmful to your eyes! A watch battery does not provide enough power to be harmful.
    Last edited by RHJones; July 26th, 2015 at 03:14. Reason: changed 1x "neon" to "super"... thanks, Mike K
    JohnQFord and Mike K like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RHJones View Post
    So the neon illuminator is more subtile, while neon illuminator is so bright that i can be used as a flashlight.
    Should one of those two "neon's" read "super" instead? If I had to guess, I'd guess it would be the second one.
    alexs12 and RHJones like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RHJones View Post
    Casio has not changed the illuminator technology in general- some models have neon illuminator, some have super illuminator.
    Super illuminator is a bright white LED which lightens the dial and hands.
    Neon illuminator is a UV LED that is not really bright, but the hands and index have a special lume which is activated by UV light.
    So the neon illuminator is more subtile, while neon illuminator is so bright that i can be used as a flashlight.

You can be sure that no light of any watch can be harmful to your eyes! A watch battery does not provide enough power to be harmful.
    As u know ga1000 and ga1100 are the same line up, ga1100 is the newer version of ga1000. Also, I saw two items in era300 user manual which is use uv led that made me doubtful about being harmful!
    1. Do not look directly at the ultra violet light source.
    2. Do not use lens or other object to concentrate ultra violet led light.

Quote Originally Posted by behnam View Post
    Also, I saw two items in era300 user manual which is use uv led that made me doubtful about being harmful!
    1. Do not look directly at the ultra violet light source.
    2. Do not use lens or other object to concentrate ultra violet led light.
    Everybody says those exact same two things about the sun, too, but it's more beneficial than harmful.

Glass windows block a lot of UV light -- how many people get sunburns through a window? So the crystal in a watch probably blocks a lot of the UV coming from the led, which is obviously much less powerful than the sun.

Many owners manuals also tell us not to look directly at "normal" LED lights, as well.
    RHJones and ShaggyDog like this.

For my .02 cents worth. I have an older MRG with the Super Illuminator along with the auto tilt wrist light activation feature. The illumination is so bright if I wear it when sleeping it will wake me up its activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RHJones likes this.
    CURRENT COLLECTION
    Seiko-SBDN013,SAGZ011,SBDC005,GW-4000D-1AJF,WC-IRW-M200DTM-7JR​,Citizen-BN0000-04H,Wempe-Zeitmeister-WM60-0001,Ω2200.51.00

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Should one of those two "neon's" read "super" instead? If I had to guess, I'd guess it would be the second one.
    Mike K, you are absolutely right. Thanks for the hint, I corrected my posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Everybody says those exact same two things about the sun, too, but it's more beneficial than harmful.

Glass windows block a lot of UV light -- how many people get sunburns through a window? So the crystal in a watch probably blocks a lot of the UV coming from the led, which is obviously much less powerful than the sun.

Many owners manuals also tell us not to look directly at "normal" LED lights, as well.
    i can see tan lines on my wrist where my watch is, all from driving.

The UV illumination on the GA1000 is an amazing feature, and to be honest, this is what actually persuaded me to purchase this watch in the first place. One drawback however, is that it does nothing to illuminate the digital portion of the watch. That being said, I would gladly welcome this feature on any fully analog Casio.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    The UV illumination on the GA1000 is an amazing feature, and to be honest, this is what actually persuaded me to purchase this watch in the first place. One drawback however, is that it does nothing to illuminate the digital portion of the watch. That being said, I would gladly welcome this feature on any fully analog Casio.
    Can you set the duration of illumination? 1sec,3secs etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information