Suunto

Thread: Suunto

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Off topic Suunto

Does anyone on the board have a Suunto Vector climbing watch? Or is there a forum on watchuseek for suunto.
    Last edited by jbarn02; October 25th, 2006 at 14:23.

Re: Suunto

I have a Suunto Observer and jsut got a Suunto T3. Excellent watches and the Observer is an excellent tool. Great toughness and reliability and very accurate. The Vectors are LARGE watches and i think they only have 30-50 M WR... The Observer is a little more "dressy" and has 100M WR.

I have the Suunto Vector.

I don't use it for climbing, but I have used it as a second watch when flying a single-engine Cessna. The altimeter is very accurate when properly set. I tracked it with the Cessna's altimeter and it was spot on.

The compass works fine as well for trekking and so on.

wemedge
    It's 1700hrs somewhere...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sad enough to say, Suunto is a watch brand that is successfully making its way into the standards traditionally set by the Casio G-Shock and Protrek brands. Not that I really have anything against Suunto-- hey, if you're a hungry company and your innovative, more power to you. Just getting back to an old rant I have against Casio that my beloved brand spends too much time sitting on its arse making 'limited editions' of old technology like the DW-5600's and 6900's and not doing enough in the way of staying ahead of the competition. (Like Suunto!) Suffice to say-- where is my USB flash drive 2006' Codename!!!???

Locomoco.

I have both a suunto vector and a casio prg 50 and all I can say is that for the money the casio is better made.

I already have a Protrek PRG80YT, so I am actually looking into getting the Vector in Lime.

Photo courtesy of Suunto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

Banned

Thanks guys for your replies.I have recently gotten into rock climbing and I am addicted to it. I am looking at getting the vector in yellow but they are too damm expensive right now. So I am just using a casio g shock thermometer watch for the time being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Locomoco
    Sad enough to say, Suunto is a watch brand that is successfully making its way into the standards traditionally set by the Casio G-Shock and Protrek brands. Not that I really have anything against Suunto-- hey, if you're a hungry company and your innovative, more power to you. Just getting back to an old rant I have against Casio that my beloved brand spends too much time sitting on its arse making 'limited editions' of old technology like the DW-5600's and 6900's and not doing enough in the way of staying ahead of the competition. (Like Suunto!) Suffice to say-- where is my USB flash drive 2006' Codename!!!???

Locomoco.
    yes i fully agree.watch brands like suunto,polar,timex etc are making amazing new gadget watches pretty fast nowadays.but casio seems to have lost its competitive edge in recent years...for example casio was first brand to bring altimeter barometer watches...but now suunto etc have made much more advanced function alti baro watches compared to casio...casio has not even yet made an altimeter watch with resolution less than 5 meters! while all new alti watches from suunto ,nike etc have 1 meter accuracy of altimeter ,and even their altimeter value update interval are every second compared to 2 minutes for casio,making it pretty problemetic if you are into serious sports.also new alti baro watches from suunto etc are completely tempreature compensated so making their values more accurate compared to casio in variable temperature conditions..but lucky for casio the suunto watch company is not as well known and available globally as casio is,so may be thats why casio is not interested in upgrading their technology.

by the way i would like to have suunto x6 or x9i watches As they are amazing gadgets! suunto x9i has altimeter barometer compass and full function gps! so if u are wearing this watch you know your altitude,vertical ascent speed .weather forecast,storm prediction alarm,temperature profile ,the direction you are heading and your speed and distance you cover in your hike plus your complete profile of hiking and way points you cross in this process through gps!
    so its sad that casio has not yet done enough to compete with watch brands like suunto which began watch making a lot later than casio..if i remember correctly suunto made its firts alti baro watch in late 90,s and look how far ahead they are now in gadget watch technology ,
    so wake up casio!
    Last edited by drkjke; October 25th, 2006 at 17:05.

I would wear on my wrist

The battery hatch is a greaz thing, that all non-solar watches should have!

Vector is a fantastic watch (at least in black)

Have a nice day,

Ad.

I also agree that Casio has taken its collective eye off the ball when it comes to cutting-edge gadget devices, which is what attracted me to them in the first place and which is still what I like in a watch.

The Suunto Vector is undoubtedly a good looker and well-featured, but I've read more than once that Casio build-quality is better.

Incidentally, I did once suggest to the WUS powers-that-be that a Suunto brand forum might be a good idea...
    Last edited by SmartUK; December 1st, 2006 at 13:50. Reason: iffy spelling
    atb,
    Smart
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7197570&ref=mf

Current collection:
    Timex WS4 T49664 (Black)
    Nike Mettle Anvil WC0020-001

Nike Mettle Chisel WC0045-021
    Casio Protrek PAW-1200
    Casio Protrek PRG-80-YT
    Casio Protrek PRG-80T
    Ventus G-1000 GPS