39 69.64%
  • Vector

17 30.36%

Thread: Suunto Vector vs Casio PRG80T

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Suunto Vector vs Casio PRG80T

Hi guys,

Another watch in the post this morning!

I recently got the Suunto Vector I have been coveting for a while.

It is very similar in size and functions my PRG80T but I am aware it is considered a more serious 'tool' amongst outdoor pursuits type people, I was wondering what makes it preferable ( if indeed it is ) to the good old PRG80T?

In the interest of fairness I have posted a similar thread on the Suunto forum.

The numbers look a bit wonky because of the flash/lighting
    Last edited by hoochy; September 4th, 2007 at 14:59.

Watches are frickin evil!

Re: Suunto Vector vs Casio PRG80T

This is a great question! Now that you have both in hand, what do you think of them?
    I have been looking at the Vector for some time and wondering how it would compare to
    my pag-40. Your Vector really looks great! Let us know your thoughts on 'em!!

My concern about the Suunto is their lack of water resistance (only 30m)...the Casio wins in that department for outdoors watch.

It would be interesting to do a side by side testing of each watch's features against real gear (ie compass, baro, alto, therm) to see which is more consistently accurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Suunto Vector vs Casio PRG80T

Hi Hoochy,

Tough question actually. Thought Pro-Trek watches look are tough in my opinion, Suunto watches look tough by appearence. Also they are about standard for outdoor ABC use, although the Pro-Trek models are probably as good as Suunto. I believe that Suunto has smaller increments of the altitude measurement, but I don't believe that the accuracy is higher therefore. I also don't know the sampling specs as the Pro-trek usually samples every 15 minutes (OK for hiking and mountain climbing, worse for skiing, para gliding etc.). I think this is done to get a good function/battery life ratio. I have altimeters that can for paragliding. In Fly mode, they drain the battery very much.

Also Suunto is marketed vey much on TV here. There are several shows where contestants get a Suunto for navigating.

I read a test of a Suunto cycle computer/HRM/ABC watch, which was not very positive. In that section Polar and VDO scored much better. There were a lot complaints about the readability of the digits. I think they were different that those of the Vector. They seem good to me.

Well, I voted the PRG-80. I have the resin and the 80YT titanium version. They are pretty accurate. It's noticed where I am in the building (it's about 5m per floor, ha ha). That doesn't say I don't like the vector. I think I should get one one day. Did you know a lot of Dutch soldiers in Uruzgan, Afghanistan wear Suunto Vectors?

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I posted my longish response over on the Suunto forum... but Im a big fan of Suuntos and use them a lot... and I think the Casios are great, but inferior. Then again, the Suuntos cost about twice as much! :)

Check out my response over there! :)

Great question!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Thanks for the interesting response guys, Sjors I was aware of the fact about Dutch soldiers but only because I had read one of your replies in another post lol.

Initial thought:

Accuracy seems abiout equal when tested side by side with pretty much the same readings for temp, alt, bari.

Suunto

pros

Light
    Shows day and date
    easy navigation and settings
    nice water bubble for playing with ahem.. levelling compass!
    clear display
    Tried and tested by various armies and used in lots of films/tv series
    Comfortable rubber strap

Cons

Slightly more expensive
    Initially feels a bit cheap and plastic
    Not solar
    Poor water resistance

PRG80T

Pros

Good solid chunky feel but still not too heavy
    Nice clear compass display
    Clear display in general
    Very easy single button functions
    Nice metal design
    Good price on ebay
    Solar
    Good water resistance

Cons

Bracelet a hair puller
    Doesn't show day and date at same time

Conclusion

Obviously I haven't had time to perform a rigorous test of the functions of both but my initial feeling is that the PRG80T is nicer looking, reaonably priced with all round good fucntions and the Suunto is a reputable make that may offer higher quality functions.

However if I had to pick one based on my initial opinion it would probably be the PRG80T

It's a close call though on two very different but very similar watches!

Cost is a huge factor to me... :) Then again, I use a lot of the functions so I love the improved accuracy of the Suuntos..

But you are right on feel. Even with my 1200 it feels more like a G Shock than my Vector does. But the higher end Suuntos (X lander and Observer) are built like tanks! Then again, they cost a LOT more! I have both and prefer my Suuntos, but the Casio is a good all rounder at a great price and decent performance specs...

And they have... that look! I have to tell you, wear a Suunto or a Protrek and they get noticed! And they kind of have an image! :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

And they have... that look! I have to tell you, wear a Suunto or a Protrek and they get noticed! And they kind of have an image! :)
    So one on each wrist it is then!

So does Suunto use different quality sensors over their model/price ranges?

Just wondering if the higher end Suuntos are necessarily more accurate than the lower priced ones.

I've got a Suunto Altimax and here's what it does that none of the Pathfinders I've had have been able to do.

1.) Better resolution. The Suunto measures in feet and it also is pretty much instantaneous.

2.) Way better tracking of data on the Suunto. For the Suunto, I can go skiing and the Suunto can tell me:

1.) How many vertical feet I've skiied, I can switch this function to trips up or down the mountain. I can track this info by day or by season or by week. You name it. The Pathfinders can't do taht.

2.) How many runs I've skiied this is another thing I haven't found that a pathfinder can do. At the end of the day, I can look down at my Suunto and it tell me exactly how many times I skiied a run.

3.) How fast I skiied. Here's another thing the Suunto does that the Casio's don't. It can tell me how many vertical feet per second I've skiied. Pretty cool feature.

In the Casios favor, I will say that the Casios are much easier to use and feel more rugged. Bottom line, if you are just looking for a cool multi function watch and you really aren't serious about utilizing those functions in multiple ways, I'd go with the Casio. If you are really looking to utilized every last inch of the functions available, the Suunto wins.

Take an hour...it will take that long, and look at the manuals. Really read through them and you'll get a better understanding of the merits of each model.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information