Sweeping second hand
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Sweeping second hand

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sweeping second hand

Could use a little help here guys. Been reading a lot about a sweeping second hand in the last week or two. What is it? Like the Rolex?

Why would it be so desirable on a G? Is it more like sapphire where a G doesn't need it but is "cool" to have? Any actual benefits?

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: Sweeping second hand

Even i was wondering about this..

It would kill the battery on a quartz watch. That's why the second hand ticks once a second, to conserve the battery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

The only real sweeping hand is used in the Quartz Seiko spring drive watches.
    There the running of the clockwork is regulated by the quartz controlled RPM of a spring loaded disc.
    Rolexes dont use sweeping hands since they make several tics per second (which might be hard to see at a glance).

I dont see spring drives in Gs.
    It might be an expensive exercise....

A sweep second hand is just a central second hand. It doesn't matter whether it ticks once a second, as on most quartz, or 5 or 6 times a second as on most mechanicals, they both 'sweep' the dial once a minute.

Other second hands are in a sub dial and they are not described as sweep.

Plenty of G Shocks have 'sweep' second hands already therefore.

If you want a stutter free sweep it needs to tick at least 16 times a second as on some Bulovas. No mechanicals, apart from the hybrid spring drives, have a 'smooth' sweep they all stutter their way around.

Quartz can produce truly smooth sweeps, heck I have one watch where the hand rotates at 10 times a second! It is just a blur on the dial. It is just a matter of battery life.

On a solar, if you kept it charged all the time you could have a truly smooth sweep. However, without sunlight it would probably run down in 6 weeks or so.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; March 6th, 2014 at 10:39.
    Mike K, Chrisek, Sengyoku and 3 others like this.

There seem to be two definitions of "sweep second hand" -- the new definition (or, I suspect, mis-definition) involves the "one tick per second" motion of the hand versus "multiple ticks per second so it looks like the second hand is continually moving."

The OLD definition -- the one I grew up seeing in watch descriptions in magazines and catalogs -- is the one that's still in use by oxforddictionaries.com "A second hand on a clock or watch, moving on the same dial as the other hands," and miriam-webster.com"a hand marking seconds on a timepiece mounted concentrically with the other hands and read from the same dial as the minute hand."

In other words, it's a full-sized second hand, rather than a second hand in a smaller sub-dial, as used to be common on a lot of (now-)antique watches.
    Last edited by Mike K; March 6th, 2014 at 10:39.

So the Aviators and MTG'S have it?

Got it! Thank you guys!

sent with aloha
    jbg7474 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    A sweep second hand is just a central second hand. It doesn't matter whether it ticks once a second, as on most quartz, or 5 or 6 times a second as on most mechanicals, they both 'sweep' the dial once a minute.

Other second hands are in a sub dial and they are not described as sweep.

Plenty of G Shocks have 'sweep' second hands already therefore.
    With all due respect I'm pretty sure that's not the generally accepted notion of a sweep seconds hand on WUS. I think the OP means a seconds hand sweeping like that of a mechanical watch as opposed to a once a second quartz tick.

Actually I was asking because I just started seeing this term but didn't understand what it meant. :)

sent with aloha

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    With all due respect I'm pretty sure that's not the generally accepted notion of a sweep seconds hand on WUS. I think the OP means a seconds hand sweeping like that of a mechanical watch as opposed to a once a second quartz tick.
    As I've said on another non-watch forum, just because a lot of people on the internet use the wrong term A LOT, that does not make it the right term!

Here's another WUS thread on the subject that also suggests that "sweep second hand" means that the hand sweeps around the circumference of the dial: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/eta-...nd-946263.html

Google "continuous second hand" or "smooth second hand" and you'll find quite a few other WUS threads about hands that don't "jump" once per second.
    frhoads and soulbridgemedia like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information