Syncing and bad weather
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Syncing and bad weather

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Syncing and bad weather

Will rain and overcast conditions prevent an atomic watch from syncing?

Re: Syncing and bad weather

Yes, it could, as could warm weather, solar activity and just about any other obstruction from here to there can interfere with signal reception. Unless you're relatively close to the transmitter a "receive" should be regarded as more of a hit or miss than a given on a nightly basis.

Find a repeatable, reliable sweet spot or setting for a sync (may or may not be easy, depending on a myriad of micro and macro geographical, meteorological and astronomical variables) and then leave it be. Don't get too preoccupied with nightly syncs, that's what the auto-sync feature is there for. Manual sync? You could easily find better things to do with your time, especially during daytime.

Edit - Do read and follow Casio's directions and recommendations on the matter in the manual.
    Last edited by AirWatch; June 1st, 2015 at 14:32.
    Mike K likes this.

Thanks, just curious because the first 5 nights it synced just fine and last night it didn't and we've been having some real rainy weather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When living topmost in a building, immediately below the roof, there seemed to be a pattern noticeable where syncing was prevented by the wet roof. It might shield the watch from the signal. I do not have more than a hunch though. Now living somewhere else, in the same city, I still notice some differences that might be related to weather. But I would need to do some proper statistical analysis, and consider other confounding factors. I would not expect solar weather to play a great role.

It does for long wave at higher frequencies that propagate beyond horizon through scattering and reflection at the ionosphere. The 60 kHz signal of Fort Collins and the 77 kHz signal from Mainflingen have wavelengths of about 5 km and 4 km, respectively. I should expect that such long waves propagate mostly as ground waves.

However, signal reception is significantly better at night. I cannot think of an effect that would dampen a ground wave more during days. Signal reach due to ionospheric reflection is increased in the night because of less ionization by strong sunlight (during daytime the signal is refracted at much lower layers). This would speak against ground waves.

I tried a manual sync this afternoon with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    I tried a manual sync this afternoon with no luck.
    As we've said in a few dozen threads here over the years, unless you live VERY close to Ft. Collins, CO (or one of the other cities around the world where a tower is located), most manual synch attempts during daytime hours are GOING to fail.

Reception is best at night. That's why Casio designed these watches to synch after midnight, and that's why the National Institute of Science and Technology recommends that these watches synch at midnight or later (top of page 13): http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/2422.pdf

Short version.
    Daytime usually = no sync

Clear night usually = sync

Stormy weather between you and Ft. Collins usually = no sync

About the only member that can get a manual sync during the day is Fwupow based on his video reviews. He must live right next door to Ft. Collins.

An unsync'ed G-Shock will not deviate in accurate time enough to notice or care.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Short version.
    Daytime usually = no sync

Clear night usually = sync

Stormy weather between you and Ft. Collins usually = no sync

About the only member that can get a manual sync during the day is Fwupow based on his video reviews. He must live right next door to Ft. Collins.

An unsync'ed G-Shock will not deviate in accurate time enough to notice or care.
    In my experience, one of the biggest things that can cause sync to fail is lightning along the signal path, because it causes severe static in the radio signal (you allude to this with your comment about stormy weather).

All the other nights I wore her to bed and had no problem syncing except the 31st. Last night I left her under the window on my night stand and it worked.
    Does an open window work better, I always sleep with the window cracked a little.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    All the other nights I wore her to bed and had no problem syncing except the 31st. Last night I left her under the window on my night stand and it worked.
    Does an open window work better, I always sleep with the window cracked a little.
    Do you open the window when you want to listen to the radio?!

Radio waves can travel through most objects, including houses, just fine.
    Rocat likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information