Taking the crystal out of G shock
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taking the crystal out of G shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taking the crystal out of G shock

Hi all,

After seeing so many customized G out there I would like to make some for my own. I was trying to take the crystal out of dw-6900 so that I ca re-paint the 'ring'. I wonder if there is any tool that can perform such task. The closet information that I can find in this forum is the below post:

Stealth themed mods - success! Thank you for the help Watchuseek.

However the OP did not mention if he is using bare hands (which I doubt) or using some kind of tool to 'pop' the crystal out. I have also done some research on the internet and found that normally watchmaker uses crystal lift to do that. However, I think that may not apply to G shock since there is no such area around the crystal of a G for the crystal lift to 'grab' but I may be wrong.

Any insight or information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Taking the crystal out of G shock

If someone who knows the answer can respond to this, I, too, will be grateful. I would like to get access to the lettering on the crystal and, with reference to the cited post, know more about how removing and replacing the crystal might affect waterproofing.

I would imagine it's the same as standard watches, crystal is pressed in? So you have to remove module and then you can press it out from the inside?

I think there is o-ring around crystal, but not 100 % sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's how one person removes the crystal from the DW-5600C: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5...al-906169.html

The tools seem basic enough -- a C-clamp and a couple of correctly shaped wooden blocks. (Note that I said that the TOOLS seem "basic," not the process or the creation OF the correctly shaped tools! I'm not sure I'd have the patience or tools to create my own "crystal press.")

kung-fusion also restores DW-5600C's and replaces crystals somewhat regularly, and from what he's written it doesn't affect water resistance at all when it's done correctly!

I've tried removing the crystal and it is not an easy thing and have not been successful. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and there arent many members that have done it and I didn't get much feedback: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rep...ks-988100.html.

I haven't had time to try some more, but if you figure it out, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Here's how one person removes the crystal from the DW-5600C: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5...al-906169.html

The tools seem basic enough -- a C-clamp and a couple of correctly shaped wooden blocks. (Note that I said that the TOOLS seem "basic," not the process or the creation OF the correctly shaped tools! I'm not sure I'd have the patience or tools to create my own "crystal press.")

kung-fusion also restores DW-5600C's and replaces crystals somewhat regularly, and from what he's written it doesn't affect water resistance at all when it's done correctly!
    Thanks for the excellent link. The process would seem to need more delicacy than I have. I wish there were someone trustworthy who would do this work on a fee basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    I would imagine it's the same as standard watches, crystal is pressed in? So you have to remove module and then you can press it out from the inside?

I think there is o-ring around crystal, but not 100 % sure.
    Yes, that's what I thought too. I actually have tried using hammer and something in between to act as buffer but even using great force the crystal still doesn't come out. So I wonder if there is a specific tool.

Quote Originally Posted by vadang View Post
    I've tried removing the crystal and it is not an easy thing and have not been successful. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and there arent many members that have done it and I didn't get much feedback: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rep...ks-988100.html.

I haven't had time to try some more, but if you figure it out, let me know!
    Thanks for the reply, I certainly hope I can take the crystal out without breaking it and if I find a way, I will come back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

Thanks so much for the information, I agree the tools look basic but creating that wooden block may not be an easy task for me . But it is still exciting to know this is doable. The next goal is to find a fit-size wooden block for a DW-6900................

This is a follow up post on attempting to remove crystal of dw-6900. Basically I followed the same approach as what Mike has posted earlier. i.e. using a C-clamp. The below are the steps:

1) have the relevant tools ready: a C-clamp, a U-shaped item to hold the case on the above and some space below for the crystal to come out. In my case, I use a sake glass . Also a reading glasses cleaning cloth
    2) Place the watch case on the U-shape item, put the cloth on the crystal
    3) Place the C-clamp to hold the watch and the bottom of the U-shaped item
    4) Screw the C-clamp until the crystal pops out

I tried the first time and it is a success. As you can see in the below picture, the scratched paint was something I did earlier and has nothing to do with this trial.

Name:  resize 20140314_155217.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  73.6 KB

Putting it back is very easy, just place the watch and the crystal (of course there is a rubber gasket too) on top on a flat surface and apply your full body weight on it.

One thing should be noted that the crystal is actually glued to the watch, there is a very thin plastic film which is glued to the crystal and you can see it when the crystal comes off the case. I am not sure if other Gs are the same.

I hope this helps.
    Mike K, G-fob and nigelw like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information