testing the atomic update

Thread: testing the atomic update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

testing the atomic update

hello again, is there a way to see if the atomic update is working when i go to a store to look at the watches? bluegum posted that he gets the function in australia and i would like to check if it works in the philippines before getting one.

:thanks very much

Re: testing the atomic update

I think if you press the receive button it will give you the last time it updated.
    Regards Sonny
    Motorcycling is my LIFE..
    2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom FXDC

i see. but is it possible to manually let the watch receive the signal?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goldendragon View Post
    i see. but is it possible to manually let the watch receive the signal?
    Yes. The sales assistant should be able to demonstrate it.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

All of mine have a manual sync option. Keep in mind that daytime attempts are rarely as successful as those in the night so your in store test could give a false negative vs the watches actual performance at home in the middle of the night.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Cool Re: testing the atomic update

The Japan atomic time broadcast stations are both rated at a 1000 KM range. The Philippines is 3000 KM away from Japan. I do not think you'll get any signal even with the most favorable atmospheric conditions.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by trozau View Post
    The Japan atomic time broadcast stations are both rated at a 1000 KM range. The Philippines is 3000 KM away from Japan. I do not think you'll get any signal even with the most favorable atmospheric conditions.
    Unless we're getting Japanese atomic time from satellites, the Japanese signals are traveling over 7000 km to Australia on a regular basis (several times a week they're received on my dad's watch and he doesn't even take it off to 'place it'). Philippines should be no worries.

Don't forget that ham radios can travel longs distances at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Unless we're getting Japanese atomic time from satellites, the Japanese signals are traveling over 7000 km to Australia on a regular basis (several times a week they're received on my dad's watch and he doesn't even take it off to 'place it'). Philippines should be no worries.

Don't forget that ham radios can travel longs distances at night.

Sweet.. i didn't know aussies get could atomic signals too - this is why i havn't bothered getting an atomic g as yet.

What part if aus are u from bluegum?

Hi Golden Dragon,

From all Waveceptor models the function of manual receiving works the same. The lower right button normally gives the "GET" function (showing time of last receiving). If you press and hold this button from time keeping mode, the watch will go to manual revceiving. One tip, try this after midnight, near a window (facing Japan if possible) or maybe on an open spaceoutside.

You can try your luck. I have indeed heard about the receival of the signal in North West Australia before. If that happens by DX-reflection, it is possible you don't get the signal, but if the radiowaves curve with the earth it is possible you can receive. At night over sea radio waves can travel further than you might expect over land.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dh0licious View Post
    Sweet.. i didn't know aussies get could atomic signals too - this is why i havn't bothered getting an atomic g as yet.

What part if aus are u from bluegum?
    We're in Brissie.

The funny part was, I assumed it wouldn't work here either and gave it to my dad essentially as a 'non-atomic' watch, but the bloody thing started to reset to Tokyo time (usually for about 3 days in a row followed by 4-5 days of no signal). The problem was that this analog exec model didn't have a 'home' setting for eastern Aus time, and no way of turning off the receiving ability. I thought I'd bought my dad a lemon, but I cunningly worked out that by calibrating the watch one hour ahead, and setting the 'home' time to Tokyo, it would keep setting perfect time for here...it works perfectly. Bear in mind that Japan doesn't have DST, so if you do in Oz, you'd need to manually reset the calibration when DST comes on.

What's also funny is that many people in LA etc have a lot of trouble getting reception due to interference whilst we in Oz (bris at least) get regular reception 7000+ km away from the source.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information