Thank you, Sjors!!!

Thread: Thank you, Sjors!!!

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member g-whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southwest Indiana, USA
    Posts
    233

    Thumbs Up Thank you, Sjors!!!

    I'd like to take a moment to thank Sjors very much for posting the "How To" on changing the G-Shock watch battery. :thanks

    I recently won a used GL-121 with a dead battery, but the price was too good to pass up. I decided to buy it and try to change the battery myself. Thanks to Sjors' excellent step-by-step instructions and outstanding detailed photographs, I was able to get it done and working great.

    The only problem I ran into was I wasn't exactly sure how to "pop up" the battery retainer by looking at the pictures. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to squeeze the little white plastic piece, push it down, in, out, squeeze the metal piece, pop it up, or what. But I played with it a little bit and was able to figure it out.

    Then I just did some cleaning (it was filthy!) and put it all back together, cleaned some more, and...VOILA!...a very nice G-Lide for my collection. I'm so excited...like a little kid at Christmas!!! :-D

    Here are a couple of low-res pix from my office today (using my camera phone...ughhhh ). I'll post some better ones tonight if I have time.

    It's people like Sjors, Oz, and others that make
    WUS an outstanding forum, and the internet a better place in general.

    Cheers!

    After the cleaning
    Name:  09-08-06_1503.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  12.7 KB

    On my big wrist
    Name:  09-08-06_1505.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  23.2 KB


    Current rotation:
    Debaufre Nav-B 48mm ETA 2824-2
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K1
    Seiko Blue Samurai Titanium SBDA003
    Seiko Black Samurai SNM011
    Seiko White Samurai SNM009
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47
    Seiko Classic Diver SKX173
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic Auto Relay SNG045
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph SPC045
    Citizen Eco-Drive Sport Diver Chronograph H500-S025770
    Too many others to mention

  2. #2
    Banned OZZIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    3,776

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Hi G-Whiz -

    That's such a great scenario and so glad it worked for you

    Have a great weekend

    Voting day for me

  3. #3
    Member g-whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southwest Indiana, USA
    Posts
    233

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Thanks, Oz. Turns out the GL-121 with the 2012 module is a tricky little thing. Lots of little gadgets and features...I like the moon up/down and sun up/down features a lot. Of course, where I live the tide is really of no consequence, unless there is a "river tide" of which I'm unaware...
    Current rotation:
    Debaufre Nav-B 48mm ETA 2824-2
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K1
    Seiko Blue Samurai Titanium SBDA003
    Seiko Black Samurai SNM011
    Seiko White Samurai SNM009
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47
    Seiko Classic Diver SKX173
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic Auto Relay SNG045
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph SPC045
    Citizen Eco-Drive Sport Diver Chronograph H500-S025770
    Too many others to mention

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,483

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Hi G-Wiz,

    The thanks would also be shared to Solar G-Shocker (neil) who came with the idea for the How to... section. I will try to make a good picture of opening the battery lock. I maybe contact you for a good phrase in English, since it's my 2nd language

    If you ever might move to sea, I will try to help you with programming the Tidegraph. It's not always easy to program, but if it's programmed right.

    Here some pice I took at a local beach here with my GL-121. Enjoy!







    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  6. #5
    Member ColdHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Panama City, Panama
    Posts
    790

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Here some pice I took at a local beach here with my GL-121. Enjoy!




    Cheers,

    Sjors
    What kind of "G" is she wearing?
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

  7. #6
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,483

    Wink Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdHit
    What kind of "G" is she wearing?
    I don't know, actually they were standing in the way, because I wanted a picture ofthat boat.... In the end I took this picture. Somehow it looks very deserted, but there were hundreds of people at the beach...

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  8. #7
    Member g-whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southwest Indiana, USA
    Posts
    233

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    I don't know, actually they were standing in the way, because I wanted a picture ofthat boat.... In the end I took this picture. Somehow it looks very deserted, but there were hundreds of people at the beach...

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Can't say for sure...but it may have been a "G" string??? :-X
    Current rotation:
    Debaufre Nav-B 48mm ETA 2824-2
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K1
    Seiko Blue Samurai Titanium SBDA003
    Seiko Black Samurai SNM011
    Seiko White Samurai SNM009
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47
    Seiko Classic Diver SKX173
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic Auto Relay SNG045
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph SPC045
    Citizen Eco-Drive Sport Diver Chronograph H500-S025770
    Too many others to mention

  9. #8
    Member g-whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southwest Indiana, USA
    Posts
    233

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Hello, Sjors...

    Yes, I would like to extend my thanks also to Neil...!!! And I'd be happy to help with the English. It's my first and only language, but I'm pretty proficient with it, I think.

    I read more about the lunar tide interval last night, and it is pretty confusing. I'm sure if I lived closer to an ocean or sea I'd understand it better. I *think* I know basically what it means now, but it really doesn't apply to me. Like you said, if one day I'm closer, I'll study on it further.

    I looked at your pictures of the GL-121 the other day when I was doing some research on it. Very nice! I was surprised when I received it how big the face/case are, but that's great for me...the bigger the better! I even wore it to bed last night, which is unusual for me.

    BTW, where did Casio come up with the name "G-Lide"? What is the significance of the name?

    Thanks again!

    Lou

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi G-Wiz,

    The thanks would also be shared to Solar G-Shocker (neil) who came with the idea for the How to... section. I will try to make a good picture of opening the battery lock. I maybe contact you for a good phrase in English, since it's my 2nd language

    If you ever might move to sea, I will try to help you with programming the Tidegraph. It's not always easy to program, but if it's programmed right.

    Here some pice I took at a local beach here with my GL-121. Enjoy!







    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Current rotation:
    Debaufre Nav-B 48mm ETA 2824-2
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K1
    Seiko Blue Samurai Titanium SBDA003
    Seiko Black Samurai SNM011
    Seiko White Samurai SNM009
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47
    Seiko Classic Diver SKX173
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic Auto Relay SNG045
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph SPC045
    Citizen Eco-Drive Sport Diver Chronograph H500-S025770
    Too many others to mention

  10. #9
    Moderator G-Shock Forum Sjors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    21,483

    Wink Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Hi Lou,

    The lunar tide interval is the time between the highest position of the moon and the highest tide. Theoretically the highest tide would be at the time as the highest point of the moon (in some Casio Moon Phase watches it's called Moon Up (so not analog to Sun Set, since in Dutch we call it ,freely translate, Sun Up).

    Due to "slowness" of water (not sure the correct physical term used) in the seas and oceans, rivers and other obstacles, the hight tide stays behind. Where I live it's 2h47'. Quiet interesting is that in the The Hague area there is a "double tide", because a second wave of water is delayed because it takes a detour around the British Islands. On the East Coast of the US there is a lunar tide interval from about 10 to 11hours!

    I think the G-Lide name is maybe inspired with Surfing, as these boards G-Lide through the water. Just a wild guess. Therefore the Japanese name is maybe better choosen, because it's called there X-Treme. These series of watches are designed for X-Treme sports like Snowboarding, Skateboarding and Surfing. I believe Casio had teams or sporters promoted in these disciplines of these sports (Ed Templeton, Gio Estevez, Dan Drehobl, Tommy Guerro, Gaia Koopman, Terje Håkonsen, Steve Caballero to name a few).

    My first GL-121 was actually a mistake by the US seller, who sent me off the wrong watch. I didn't regret that, because it looks pretty nice (it was a similar priced watch I actually bought). The one in the pictures is a daily beater when I'm along the sea shore.

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.


    Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010


  11. #10
    Member g-whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southwest Indiana, USA
    Posts
    233

    Re: Thank you, Sjors!!!

    Hi again,

    I wondered if the G-Lide had to do with "gliding". I guessed it could be that, but I don't see how or why it would "glide" any more than any other g-shock, but there's probably some difference. I certainly like the size and looks, and I'm sure this will fast become one of my favorite beater watches!

    Regards...

    Lou

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi Lou,

    The lunar tide interval is the time between the highest position of the moon and the highest tide. Theoretically the highest tide would be at the time as the highest point of the moon (in some Casio Moon Phase watches it's called Moon Up (so not analog to Sun Set, since in Dutch we call it ,freely translate, Sun Up).

    Due to "slowness" of water (not sure the correct physical term used) in the seas and oceans, rivers and other obstacles, the hight tide stays behind. Where I live it's 2h47'. Quiet interesting is that in the The Hague area there is a "double tide", because a second wave of water is delayed because it takes a detour around the British Islands. On the East Coast of the US there is a lunar tide interval from about 10 to 11hours!

    I think the G-Lide name is maybe inspired with Surfing, as these boards G-Lide through the water. Just a wild guess. Therefore the Japanese name is maybe better choosen, because it's called there X-Treme. These series of watches are designed for X-Treme sports like Snowboarding, Skateboarding and Surfing. I believe Casio had teams or sporters promoted in these disciplines of these sports (Ed Templeton, Gio Estevez, Dan Drehobl, Tommy Guerro, Gaia Koopman, Terje Håkonsen, Steve Caballero to name a few).

    My first GL-121 was actually a mistake by the US seller, who sent me off the wrong watch. I didn't regret that, because it looks pretty nice (it was a similar priced watch I actually bought). The one in the pictures is a daily beater when I'm along the sea shore.

    Cheers,

    Sjors
    Current rotation:
    Debaufre Nav-B 48mm ETA 2824-2
    Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Black Monster SKX779K1
    Seiko Blue Samurai Titanium SBDA003
    Seiko Black Samurai SNM011
    Seiko White Samurai SNM009
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47
    Seiko Classic Diver SKX173
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic Auto Relay SNG045
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph SPC045
    Citizen Eco-Drive Sport Diver Chronograph H500-S025770
    Too many others to mention

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 1
      Last Post: August 3rd, 2006, 03:03
    2. Sjors - Sjors - Hello - Hello
      By OZZIE in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: June 30th, 2006, 03:54
    3. Ozzie owe's Sjors something! ;)
      By Joakim Agren in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: June 12th, 2006, 03:03
    4. Happy Third Aniversary Of G-peopland Sjors!!
      By Resinbandit in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: April 17th, 2006, 07:19
    5. I got a new Leatherman and I blame Sjors
      By Spill in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: March 4th, 2006, 19:16

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •