Thanks G-People: Got me a G-5600

Thread: Thanks G-People: Got me a G-5600

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thanks G-People: Got me a G-5600

Hello, G forum,

I've read this forum for a few weeks, and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about the world of G-Shock! Great forum.

A recent G-purchase and a bit of introduction:

You all helped me choose to get a G-5600 solar (not atomic) in the approximate style of the first G-Shock watch. In fact, before I bought the G-5600, I went to JC Penny per your announcements and bought the solar/atomic version GW-5600 for about US$73. I took it back in favor to get the G-5600. I wanted/prefered: greater than 60 minute countdown timer; display both day name and numeric month/day simultaneously; display time in window when in countdown timer mode. And, I do like the red line that circles the face display on the G-5600 versus the more bland (?) coloring of the GW-5600. The atomic feature would have been nice, but I haven't ever had issues without it. I just wish the 5600 series had a big screw back. I really find the screw back an elegant style and seemingly more robust than pinning the corners with four little screws. Corrosion and cross-threading damage seems less likely with a screw back-- but, if you never have to replace the battery...and the watch meets the Tripple 10 survival for 10 years, then I guess it's met the spec!

I've wanted this 5x00 style watch since I was a teenager in the 1980s. My best friend had a G-5600C, I think. He loved it. But, before he got the G-Shock, I had already gotten a Casio DW-1000 Diver watch, and mom and dad had no reason to buy me a G-Shock, and I didn't have the money to get one, either. (Not sure how to embed links). Here is someone elses auction of a DW-1000.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CASIO-DW-1000-vin...QQcmdZViewItem

HTML Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/CASIO-DW-1000-vintage-lcd-dive-watch-200m-Pre-G-Shock_W0QQitemZ8946946893QQcategoryZ91471QQcmdZViewItem Casio DW-1000 diver watch
    My DW-1000 served me extremely well. It is well used with a non-Casio replacement band, and the battery is dead-- battery only died a couple of years ago. I used the DW-1000 from about 1983ish until 1988. I wore it everywhere. It survived swimming, real-football, raquet ball, cycling, baseball, lawn-mowing-- it was just always on me, and I never thought twice about its survival. Then it just sat in a drawer or box forever when I got my first Casio Data Bank calculator watch in High School. Any recommendations as to who/where in the USA to send this DW-1000 for battery and water seal replacement? How about a new original-style resin watch band?

After my DW-1000, I went through about three versions of the Casio DataBank calculator watches that took me from High School through Grad-School. Finally, a few years ago I bought the GL-150-8v for a trip to Hawaii: (GL-150-8v image from g-shock-and-baby-g.com). I love the integrated band that is bolted-on to the case. The tide info was fun, but not much use in the desert of New Mexico!

Bit a bit by the G-Bug, I restarted a search for a G-Shock with DataBank and schedule memo. Long story short, I discovered the G-7000D: (image from watchzworld.com)

On the G-7000D, I liked the metal case and band. Love the solar. Liked the telememo. Liked the 5 multi-schedule alarms (mo/day/time). But, I was bewildered that the alarms could not have a text-memo reminder for why the alarm was set some days to months in advance!? Now, why did I set that alarm?! Work-around has been to assign 1-5 telememo fields to correspond to the 1-5 alarms. Now I've got a G-Shock telememo with a schedule-memo feature from the DataBank calculators! But, only 25 to 30 telememo fields is a bit weak. I don't use a cell phone nor PDA-- keep it simple, on the wrist, doesn't have to be taken out of a pouch, or feared left behind on a table or chair. The watch is on me...the watch is me.

As I read in the forums, One Watch to Rule them All is not available, yet. My best friend from childhood to adulthood (who had the enviable G-5600C) still wishes for a rugged water proof calculator watch with the tele and schedule memo features. And, we wait....I'd go for one like that, too!

In my sights is the venerable Frogman DW-20x: screw back, solar, timer. features I like, but a price-- not quite. Someday...

Who am I? James Mathis. 36 years old. married. one child: boy, Liam, age 17 months. Optical Engineer. LEGO Fan Train designer-- who got lucky and was commissioned by the LEGO Company to design official LEGO sets 10022 and 10025, the Santa Fe Super Chief train cars. Road cyclist, trombone player....and Fringe G-Shocker.

More later if you've got any questions.
    Thanks, again, for all the great messages and information you all post.
    I really enjoy reading the news, reviews, and pics!
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

Re: Thanks G-People: Got me a G-5600

Welcome. This is a friendly knowledgable group.

Welcome to WUS jmathis!

Lego is a classic icon. I still remember seeing photos of Lego Land (in Holland) where everything was made of lego. Incredible.

I actually had the g-7000 on the shortlist as it had the same features as the g-2310.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmathis
    Hello, G forum,

I've read this forum for a few weeks, and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about the world of G-Shock! Great forum.

Who am I? James Mathis. 36 years old. married. one child: boy, Liam, age 17 months. Optical Engineer. LEGO Fan Train designer-- who got lucky and was commissioned by the LEGO Company to design official LEGO sets 10022 and 10025, the Santa Fe Super Chief train cars. Road cyclist, trombone player....and Fringe G-Shocker.

More later if you've got any questions.
    Thanks, again, for all the great messages and information you all post.
    I really enjoy reading the news, reviews, and pics!
    Hi Jim or James

Welcome to WUS G-Shock forum..

Wow! The LEGO stuff is really cool and I know a very cool kid related to this site who just loves LEGO Hi Bram:-D

I used to love it also when I was a kid and had bags full of it.. Where did that corner piece roof tile goO| :-D

Anyway, very nice to meet you and looking forward to some photos of your son with some LEGO and G-Shock's:-D

LEGO Fever Japan:-D

My SNAKE KILLER FROGMAN

just a mini bump for the Lego.

and yo-yo's, and the Rubics cube and ....:-D

[email protected]:-D
    I have no idea what the below photo is. Thanks GOOGLE:-X

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE
    [email protected]:-D

I have no idea what the below photo is. Thanks GOOGLE:-X

:-D LOL :-D :-D

actually Ozzie those bears blurr the line between toys and sculptures.

Quote Originally Posted by Resinbandit
    Welcome to WUS jmathis!

Lego is a classic icon. I still remember seeing photos of Lego Land (in Holland) where everything was made of lego. Incredible.

I actually had the g-7000 on the shortlist as it had the same features as the g-2310.

In Holland we have Marurodam (buildings from all over the world built in scale) but Legoland can be found in Denmark.

Ha Ha,

I see this thread is a bit changed subject:-D Jmathis, Congrats on you G-5600. It's a good choice. The G-7000 is awesome!

About the Lego, made me think of our holiday in France. Look what Bram build:

Does anyone dare to guess what this represents (and I think it isn't what you think). I almost fell of my chair when Eva told me what it was...

Wait, I've got a hint. This picture should make it easier to guess what it is:

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Ha Ha,

Does anyone dare to guess what this represents (and I think it isn't what you think). I almost fell of my chair when Eva told me what it was...

Sjors

Mmm, looks like it's either the tsunami aftermath or a group of confused praying muslims that have no idea in which direction Mecca is...
    Last edited by Hanzemannetje; September 2nd, 2006 at 10:07.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information