Is there any known issue with GW-530A?

Thread: Is there any known issue with GW-530A?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there any known issue with GW-530A?

Hello everybody and thanks in advance for your time; i've read somewhere that there is a problem regarding GW-530A's battery, the famous ctl1616, or its module. After that i noticed that this model receives very litlle attention here, despite of been atomic they are cheap (ok they don't have cdt) and there's also a "dead" one been sold right now on ebay (was it affected by this desease?).
    Thought those problems were solved, even more because it's an atomic g. Please, does anyone know abou it?

Re: Is there any known issue with GW-530A?

First I've heard of it - I've had my 530A for a year and half with no issues. I also know a couple guys who deployed to Iraq and A-stan with them and they worked fine.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Friend of mine has one, but only for a few months so far. No issues so far, though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Doug. Indeed your reply was perfect, because i've already read some of your posts on the pil mil watch forum and considered them very usefull. I started to lean toward this model because of your last post about it on watches worn by SF here in G forum, where you wrote something about a shop that's performing a test on these models, and that twisted my mind 'cause i knew of some troubles with this watch.
    I'm looking for a new "duty watch" (i'm in LE), i always tend to be a g shocker but i must admit i'm a bit tired of the same... I've been considering: Marathon SAR/GSAR, MIRB frog, GW530a and lum tec combat b1. Any suggestion and i'll feel honored.
    Thanks everybody for your attention.

Thank you man! Keep an eye on it for me and keep me updated.
    Sorry for the joke, appreciated your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantas View Post
    Thank you man! Keep an eye on it for me and keep me updated.
    Sorry for the joke, appreciated your reply.
    No worries. If I hear of any problems with it (and I likely will, because he's my best friend, and I recommended G's to him), I'll post it here, for certain. Maybe not in this thread, obviously. And it's not likely to be able to help you, since there is no telling if/when it will happen.

BUT, he has been QUITE pleased with it.

The only other thing I can say is I have an MTG-900 that has the CTL1616 in it, and I've had it about a year or so. I've used the HECK outta that thing, and it is still going strong, no problems. I mean, I haven't knocked the thing around or dropped it off buildings or anything. But the functions on it get used more than any other watch I own, so the electronics get used and taxed a lot. No problems whatsoever. If that helps at all. I know that the whole CTL1616 thing seems to generally get attached to a particular model, though. Interesting that the CTL1616 seems to be the most popular storage device for CASIO.

Another great feature of the 530A for LE is the "record" feature - you just touch a button and it records the time for later recall. Very handy when for documenting incidents!
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Banned

Hey Dantas. I've had my 530A for about a year or little more now and yet to have any problems of any kind. Also I have the 500A which I've owned for just a little ove 4 years and just like the 530A it's still running great. Both have never gone below 'H' on the battery once .

I've got one too. I does seem funny how little press they get on the forums. I like it, that's all that matters! Good luck! :)
    Larry

The problems with the GW-500 series are well-documented on this forum. Along with the GW-300 and G-5600 that were released at around the same time, a significant proportion had 'recover' issues. In other words, they failed to charge.

While the problem was initially thought to be the battery, the eventual consensus was that it was the module. Some members gave up trying to get a 'good' one and many more members avoided buying them altogether.

I had one myself, but it didn't fail. On the other hand, I sold it when it was around eighteen months old, and I have no idea if it's still working.

What we can't know is whether Casio fixed the problem. If they did, recent examples may well be OK.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information