Are there any original DW-5600C
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Are there any original DW-5600C

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What do the experts say?

I am a beginner in collecting G-Shocks. I have seen a DW-5600c on eBay, but with a new bezel and band.

Would experts call this original, or a mariage (as called in the automatic watch world — mostly an old case with a new caliber) ?

Are there any complete original first G-Shocks? Old bezel, screws and band?
    babyivan likes this.

Go for it, doesn't matter about the bezel.
    I have some old 5xxxc with original bezels.
    memento_mori and babyivan like this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

I have had two 5600s and one 5200, all from eBay, but with reproduction Brazilian rubber. You can find completely original pieces still out there, but you will likely pay a few hundred bucks for them. They are kind of like unicorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    memento_mori likes this.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Are there any original DW-5600C

Consider a replacement bezel to be like a replacement crystal on other watches. a replaced crystal does not cause a watch to be not original

Also they don't make the OEM bezels anymore so any new old stock ones are over 20 years old now

99% of the original G-Shock bezels still on the watches are a couple of hard looks short of crumbling. So buying one with an original bezel and spending big bucks is not worth the money spent or the trouble looking for it. The aftermarket bezels are pretty good.

Thank you
    babyivan likes this.

I have one that's in pretty good shape. The bezel is starting to crumble, but it's still 98% there, and the missing part is on the lug, so it's not very prominent. I sourced a replacement from Brazil, which I'll put on once the original bezel fails completely. The Brazilian rubber seems pretty impressive.

The problem with "all-original" DW-5600Cs is that the resin composition causes it to stiffen and then finally to crumble. I heard about someone attempting to clean one, fresh from eBay, with a soft toothbrush, and having it just go all to pieces. So if you've got one with an original bezel, you might as well enjoy it while it lasts, because there's nothing you can do to make it last any longer. Over the very long term (hopefully 60+ years), I imagine this will happen to all of our soft resin parts, but for the early G-Shocks, it happened in less than 30 years. It's just part of the world of G-Shocks: they're intrinsically *not* forever. So wear them, and enjoy your life!

Casio did run a service last year, where you could send in your classic screwback and they would 3D scan it, and produce a one-off replacement bezel specifically for your case. I think part of the problem with ongoing support for these original screwbacks is that there were variations in the case mold, and Casio can't simply produce new bezels and have them reliably fit, without looking at the watch that they'll be going on. The cost for the service was something reasonable, but not insignificant, about $200 I believe. The Brazilian bezels are $25 landed, and seem to work pretty well for most people.

There's also a user here, electric0ant, who has made some bezels that appear to be superior to the brazilian ones. He has sold them to other members, but I'm not sure if/when he will be making more.

For more info on the current options for Brazilian bezels, see this thread - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/br...l#post49120369
    memento_mori and Dxnnis like this.

Thank you for the detailed information! Very helpful for me
    Dxnnis and babyivan like this.

I have a few that I think are all original, stored in the dark most likely. I rarely wear them because of this fear. It's nice to have an all original but why keep it if it doesn't get worn. Obviously I'm not a collector, more of a wearer. :)
    memento_mori likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by memento_mori View Post
    Would experts call this original, or a mariage (as called in the automatic watch world — mostly an old case with a new caliber) ?
    What you see are genuine, original 5xxxC's, (case and module), and they will all have their original modules in, but like others have said, with aftermarket resin.

Sometimes what you also see are some with at least one bezel screw, (so one of the 4 side screws), missing or broken because they have a tendency to seize into the steel case. If you do pick one up, be VERY careful trying to get the screws out. If they seem stuck with gently trying the screwdriver, just leave them in place as the aftermarket resins are supple enough to push on over the screws.
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

Quote Originally Posted by sodamonkey View Post
    What you see are genuine, original 5xxxC's, (case and module), and they will all have their original modules in, but like others have said, with aftermarket resin.

Sometimes what you also see are some with at least one bezel screw, (so one of the 4 side screws), missing or broken because they have a tendency to seize into the steel case. If you do pick one up, be VERY careful trying to get the screws out. If they seem stuck with gently trying the screwdriver, just leave them in place as the aftermarket resins are supple enough to push on over the screws.
    This is some good info. The issue with the original metal case squares was that the screws would seize in the case. If you can get all the screws out then use a dab of anti seize on the threads so that the screws will not seize in the case.

To add a little more info about the supple new bezel. To not stress the holes of the bezel when trying to put them on over a screw, leave the bezel on a sunny window sill for 5 or 10 mins till it gets a bit warm and then plop it on the watch. The heated bezel will allow the bezel to go on the screws without stressing the bezel

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information