Was there ever a time you thought digital watches were too childish?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Was there ever a time you thought digital watches were too childish?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Was there ever a time you thought digital watches were too childish?

My first watch was a casio digital, it seemed very age appropriate at the time, but as i got into my teens, i wouldnt have been caught wearing one. I think i even used to laugh at people my age wearing one, because as i said before, they seemed so little kid. But as i hit my 20's (im 29) as with most people, peer pressure became less of an issue. Being a fan of Japanese culture, g-shocks spoke to me. I still keep one analog for evening wear, but i love my g-shocks, and will continue to wear one for the rest of my life. Anyone else have similar experiences?

PS sorry for the eminem post it was April fools! XD

Re: Was there ever a time you thought digital watches were too childish?

Not necessarily childish per-say, but the past couple of years the only times I would ever wear a digital was for going on runs because I run collegiate cross country and would go for 1hr - 2hr runs at a time, so the G-shock served as a great tool for that. With that correlation of G-Shocks and running, I wouldn't really understand why people would wear them with everyday clothing because I found them a little immature. Not until recently, when I started watching the TV show 'Up All Night' with Will Arnett and he wears a G-Shock in every scene and with a lot of different attire; formal, casual, work out... and it made me change my perspective on the watches! Now I wear them a little more often, but still prefer the look of an analog.
    Eray likes this.

i actually think the opposite. having the most accurate, dependable watch USED to be the most important thing, but as technology grew past analog watches for reliability and ease of use, people held on to the old-school looks and workings to where people now generally view outdated watch technology as "adult" instead of the smarter, more efficient, younger watchmaking mindset such as atomic/solar digitals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I used to think it was childish in my early teen years. I stopped wearing G's at 14. I started collecting again at age 21. I've bought many g's over the past 4 years. However I flipped many (2 frogs, 2 risemans, couple 5600's, gulfman, GW3000 white...etc.) and I realized digital watches wasn't really for me. After all the flipping the only G's I own is the Giez 1050 and GW3000 orange which I love very much. My giez is my favorite. I think the anadigi is awesome. The anaglog GW3000 is a great piece too. I've never thought G's were childish since I started collecting again. Proof that Gshocks aren't childish is the compliments I get on my G's. I got more compliments on them than any other brand watches I've owned and currently own.

Name:  noway.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  3.7 KB
    Last edited by a.sasaki15; April 19th, 2012 at 06:05.
    Anthony

GW94001CR Rangeman, Seiko Astron
    SSE089 , Omega Speedmaster, Seiko Sportura ...etc.

When I was a child I mostly wore a handwound analogue Timex. Then for some time a Seiko LC digital. Then a vintage Dugena automatic digital. Later an analogue solar titanium watch. I bought my first multifunctional digital at around 15 - an Avocet Vertech - when I did a lot of skiing. My first G came later at around 30. So I never considered digitals childish. I mostly switched back and forth between analogue and digital.

Cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

The only digital watches I find to be childish are all those colourfull G's like D&R and such. A black digital watch is in my opinion a far more serious watch, than many of the available totally overpriced bling-bling mechanical watches and chronographs are at the top of that (of course nobody today needs that silly tachymeter scale, still it is present in 90% of all chronos instead a countdown bezel which is really useful). A digital watch is a serious tool, that can do all the things an analog (normally) can't, at a much better price, with much better usability. Of course there are times I simply like to wear an analog watch because of the look but then I usually stick to three hand model only, because everything beyond time, day and date should belong in the digital domain.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I just picked up this watch, Cal..45. I don't think you can find them blacker than this...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I loved G-Shocks and owned several when I knew nothing about watches. Then I learned a bit about horology and lost that love. Now I've learned a little bit more and am regaining it.

Through grade school I wore both analog and digital watches. When I got the DW-5000 in high school, I was hooked on digital Gs. My father had given me a nice Seiko for graduation and I wore it for all my job interviews and for the first few months of my first real job after college. Once I realized that half the guys I worked with wore inexpensive digital watches it was back to my 5600C. I do like analogs and wore a AMW-320 for a while after the resin rotted of the 5600C. I've been exclusively digital for the last 6 or 7 years, but just got a MTG-1500. Most ana/digi watches are a little too much of a compromise on functionality for me, but I'm excited to see about the MTG.
    Last edited by stpete; April 19th, 2012 at 16:28.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

I go through phases every few weeks where I feel they're too childish :) Then I come back around.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information