Is there a one stop shop for DW-5600 replacement parts?

Thread: Is there a one stop shop for DW-5600 replacement parts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there a one stop shop for DW-5600 replacement parts?

I have a watch that is amazing me every day. Now, let me give you a little history.

This watch, the DW-5600, was given to me by a guy two jobs ago. By my reckoning, that's got to be somewhere between 12 and 15 years ago. It was my daily driver until the strap finally gave up the ghost, so I picked up a PAW-1500 to replace it. I took the remainder of the watch and put it in my Jeep in case I needed to find the time and forgot to wear my PAW (it's happened twice, and felt naked all day, heheh). It spent the better part of 2 years there, and is still running like a champ.

So, one thing leads, if you will, and I sign up on WUS. It's having me wax rather nostalgic about my poor old semi-retired watch, and I'd like to replace the band and the non-metal part of the watch and start wearing it occasionally again, or perhaps do what the previous owner did, and give it to someone. It's in great shape and is keeping good time. All it needs is a new strap and skin. Does anyone have a linkie that deals in this sort of thing? I found one earlier today, but it had some 44 pages of stuff to wade through, and I got impatient that my input on the site didn't narrow the searh further than that.

Give me a clue, please, heheh. Now, if it's against the rules to advocate a site here, just do it in PM. I don't want folks to break the rules here, I just need your kind help.

Thanks in advance.

TDHO.

Re: Is there a one stop shop for DW-5600 replacement parts?

Sounds like it's a DW-5600C, in which case parts are extremeley difficult to find. See other threads (including on this page).

A photo would help identify the model.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Yes, do please post a photo but as you mention metal I, like Tribe, will assume you're talking about a DW-5600C which on the caseback will say "DW-5600" with no letters after it.
    Official Casio replacement parts were discontinued only recently and are now quite pricey - around $25 for a band and anything up to $50 for a bezel. These are getting hard to find, there are unofficial parts around too, that may be an option if all else fails.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe Casio Watches | G-Shock | Pathfinder | Wave Ceptor | WatchBands?

At least worth a call b/c they have more than is pictured on their site.
    D

I could be an early DW-5600E, didn't they come out in the mid 1990s?

I'd e-mail American Perfit (American Perfit - An Authorized Distributor for Casio Accessories, Casio Parts, Casio Label Tapes and Casio Watches and various PDA Screen Protectors and Multi-Function Stylus Pens.) and see what they have in stock or can order, assuming you have an E version.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Sounds like it's a DW-5600C, in which case parts are extremeley difficult to find. See other threads (including on this page).

A photo would help identify the model.

Well, I tried within the meager means that I have, to post a picture and it's either taking too long or it just won't work. So, I think logic suggests that if we're going to define this watch as rare, which it certainly can't be as I've seen so many that look like it, then the only way it's going to get done is through description via you folks or me. Since I can only handle my side of that, I'll do my best.

On the back of the watch, it reads, in the round, CASIO [691] (imagine that oval closed) DW-5600 Japan H St. Steel 200M water resistant. In the middle of that round, it reads shock resistant in large letters. It has six indents, which I see as a means of egress into the guts, but I can't and will not open them.

The face is typical G. The covering has protection above the face with G-Shock below. CASIO is written above, with water 200M resist in blue under it. Below that is an oval in grey around the actual timekeeping face with alm on-off/split-reset within it. To the left is adjust and mode, north and south on the face, with yellow dots, above the first and below the second. On the other side are the same placed yellow dots with light and rem on-off in the north and south positions respectively. On the grey oval at the bottom, it reads lithium on the left, and start-stop on the right. Below that is ALARM and CHRONO in yellow to the left and right with a centered yellow D shape, rolled on it's rounded side with the flat up, that contains shock resist (again all yellow) with a filled in red 'arrow' in the bottom part of the D. Below the word chrono, I can only assume is the word Japan. Too small to see for my poor eyes.

The shell and strap were black when I got it some 12+ years ago, and it's still ticking. The acual face that you read is just like too many Gs to count, exception being it seems a little off-center with the right side raised and the left side lowered. That's either intrinsic in the design, or in how the face was loaded, but it's noticable. Since the black body was cracking and broken, I pulled it off just now and it seems to be made of either aluminium, or steel but it's tough to tell under the grit... Wow. Dirty under there.

Beyond opening the case, which I'm loathe to do because I don't want to screw it up, is there anything else I've missed that might help you good folks figuring it out so I can get the thing restored after a fashion?

Module 691... is a DW-5600C. Band can be obtained fairly easily. Bezel is hard to find and can be bought occasionally on ebay for $40 or more. Some fakes exist (fakes are made in Brazil).

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Module 691... is a DW-5600C. Band can be obtained fairly easily. Bezel is hard to find and can be bought occasionally on ebay for $40 or more. Some fakes exist (fakes are made in Brazil).

Very helpful, kung. Thankye. That dollar amount is a pittance to give this watch a new life.

This brings a question to my mind that I hope you, or someone, can answer. Why is the C considered rare? It doesn't look all that different from a great many other watches with the 5600 monicker, does it? What makes it more rare than another?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHorseOne View Post
    Why is the C considered rare? It doesn't look all that different from a great many other watches with the 5600 monicker, does it? What makes it more rare than another?
    It was the last 5600 series screwback case design which was discontinued in the mid-90s. The successor, the E version, features a plastic case with a steel backplate mounted with 4 small screws. Along with this change came the new module's replacement of the light bulb with electroluminiscent backlighting. Also some features of the module were changed. The new case design also resulted in spare parts incompatibility.

The rare-ness comes mostly from the age and the fact that G-SHOCKs enjoyed their big success about the same time as the new case design surfaced, thus selling in much higher numbers.

It was only recently that Casio ran out of spare parts, so that keeping a C model in good shape is getting more difficult now. If I had one, I'd probably attempt to source a final set of spares and only wear the watch on special occasions. Instead I'd get myself one of the newer screwback reissues (DW-5000SL, DW-5025D or GW-5000) and wear those on a daily basis, as all of them are compatible with the easily available E model parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    It was the last 5600 series screwback case design which was discontinued in the mid-90s. The successor, the E version, features a plastic case with a steel backplate mounted with 4 small screws. Along with this change came the new module's replacement of the light bulb with electroluminiscent backlighting. Also some features of the module were changed. The new case design also resulted in spare parts incompatibility.

The rare-ness comes mostly from the age and the fact that G-SHOCKs enjoyed their big success about the same time as the new case design surfaced, thus selling in much higher numbers.

It was only recently that Casio ran out of spare parts, so that keeping a C model in good shape is getting more difficult now. If I had one, I'd probably attempt to source a final set of spares and only wear the watch on special occasions. Instead I'd get myself one of the newer screwback reissues (DW-5000SL, DW-5025D or GW-5000) and wear those on a daily basis, as all of them are compatible with the easily available E model parts.

Awesome info, MRG. As a steward of such a watch, I thnk it behooves me to make sure I get the proper parts and restore it in a proper manner. Here I was thinking I would have a choice of color, perhaps modding it a little, and making it my own. Given the info, I think the watch would be better served by a restoration. As I've said before, this watch has run some 12+ years on the same battery. I think that's beyond the pale of expectation for any battery powered watch, and I find it's scrap and tenacity to be admirable. It needs the restore.

Thanks to all of you for your help and patience with this post. Very kind of you to take the time, considering I couldn't give you a visual reference. That kindness is a blessing, and it needs to be applauded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information