Is there snobbery amongst Casio connoisseurs?

Thread: Is there snobbery amongst Casio connoisseurs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is there snobbery amongst Casio connoisseurs?

Today I went into a super Wal-Mart and took a gander at their selection of Casios and G-Shocks. I was wearing my WVA320J wave ceptor/tough solar "fancy Casio". With the exception of a couple of solar-atomic G's and one wave ceptor. they really didn't have anything that I would say "wow" about. As I walked out with my bag of carrots, the real reason why I went there, I thought to myself, "WalMart sells the 'lower end' models and that mine was a higher end Casio".

Do any of you ever feel this way about your G's, wave-ceptors and pro-treks?

:thanks
    Last edited by BA1970; September 29th, 2010 at 05:18.
    Brandon

Re: Is there snobbery amongst Casio connoisseurs?

Sure...It can be like that for any brand with a wide range of products and quality levels. If you walk up to the local discount store's watch rack wearing a $4000 Grand Seiko then I'm guessing that the display of $35 Seiko 5s isn't gonna wow you too much, just like if you're driving a Dodge Viper, I'm sure you probably won't get turned on by checking out a Stratus at the local used car lot as you drive by.
    Last edited by FOOGauzie; September 29th, 2010 at 06:35.

I do the exact same thing whenever I walk into a Target or any store that sells watches - make a beeline for the Casios if there are any, and usually walk away unimpressed.

I don't know if I would call that snobbish, though - to me that would be if I saw someone wearing an ordinary G-Shock and felt all self-important because I happened to be wearing a vintage/limited one. That doesn't ever happen; I'm always excited whenever I spot a G-Shock of any type being worn out and about. The only time I get "snobbish" is if I see someone wearing a fake Frogman, and most of that is just feeling bad for the guy.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I only feel that way whenever I walk into a Casio AD, and I happen to be wearing my GW5600J, because all my other (non-atomic) G-Shocks have been available locally.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Hey, I started my Casio collecting habits at Wal-Mart! I agree, though. Mass market retailers like WallyWorld or Target deal in the low(er) end of the product line. Wal-Mart's prices on G-Shocks are not all that good, and they almost never discount.

Surprisingly, I find better selection, and better deals at the slightly more upscale retailers like Kohls or Belk's. While their every day prices are standard retail, they frequently run sales and special deals. A few weeks ago I caught a sale at the local Belk's and picked up a GA-100 for $70. Right now I have a $10 gift card from Kohls sitting in front of me and I'll take it shopping for G-Shocks later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by BA1970 View Post
    As I walked out with my bag of carrots, the real reason why I went there, I thought to myself, "WalMart sells the 'lower end' models and that mine was a higher end Casio".
    Whereas in some shops I think, 'Oh dear, only the flashy models here - where are the honest-to-goodness basics?'

I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I always felt that feelings like this one are nothing more but an excuse to spend more money.

That's what the whole watch industry is about.

While really all watches are the same differing only in "analog vs digital" time interpretation we as a collectors (and I'd say public in general) are still suckers for marketing... casio gives us new digital... calls it a "king" (the best of the rest) and we budge...

Yes I'm wearing almost 300 US worth of Solar Atomic King today while admitably 50 dollar 5600 would do me just fine as well...

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Whereas in some shops I think, 'Oh dear, only the flashy models here - where are the honest-to-goodness basics?'

What you're really saying is "damn my wallet... tons of nice watches here that I just can't afford..."

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Must be the buyer ....

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

Brandon

I might be a reverse G-Shock snob and a slight normal watch snob at the same time. All my worn watches are Swiss, from the lowliest Hamilton to the limited edition Tag (and even my somewhat bombastic Chase-Durer) and whenever I see those higher priced G-Shocks ($200+), the first thing I think to myself is "$200? For a Casio!?" (look, don't judge me. I already said I was a slight snob). Then the second thing I think of is "$200 for a G-Shock? That's not the kind of money I'd put on my wrist for knocking around unless I'd need to." With the G-Shocks, I envision them as very rough and tumble, and while $200 isn't $500, it's quickly approaching real money. I tend towards the cheaper Gs; $130 list price, like my AWG100, available for ~$80 (comes in the mail today!) because I wouldn't feel that bad if something happened to it. And if it ever got destroyed (doubt it, with my lifestyle), I just have to reach into my pocket and I have the cash to cover a new one.

I also tend towards anadigi Gs instead of the full digitals. I'm not your typical G-Shock fan, I suppose.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information