These Low Temp Models How Are They Different?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: These Low Temp Models How Are They Different?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

These Low Temp Models How Are They Different?

I'm interested in the upcoming GLS8900's..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-Lide.jpg 
Views:	937 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1202415

Name:	LV LE.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	1202418

Casio is saying they are low temperature resistant ( -20*C)

Can other G-Shock's not take that low temperature? what will happen? are they different inside? like some special gel or something?

I know Casio released these GLS100's last year.. they were also low temp resist models:

Name:	gls100-3_xlarge.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1202453

I saw them here, but I did not buy it.. On the Casio site it says Winter G-LIDE possesses a new LCD screen that can withstand frigid temperatures... is that the only difference? Wonder why they have not put them on all models then..

Also I have seen other G's frozen in torture tests and Shock the World events.. and they continued to work just fine.. is it all just marketing speak?

Re: These Low Temp Models How Are They Different?

It's not just marketing as I really tested it by wearing my G-7900 and a "normal" G-Shock in the wintertime when it was really cold - and you notice that the display on the G-7900 doesn't slow down as much when it's cold. However I once put it in my freezer and at -25°C (maybe even lower) - even a "low temp" LCD will react very sluggishly when buttons are pressed.
    Btw: So far all the "low temp" models used the same module with slight modifications (different display layout or added moon/tide feature):
    G-9000
    GLS-5600
    GLS-5500
    G-7900
    GLX-6900
    GLS-100
    I don't know if the GLS-8900 will have a different module as I haven't seen the specs yet but I doubt it.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; August 26th, 2013 at 23:55.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    It's not just marketing as I really tested it by wearing my G-7900 and a "normal" G-Shock in the wintertime when it was really cold - and you notice that the display on the G-7900 doesn't slow down as much when it's cold. However I once put it in my freezer and at -25°C (maybe even lower) - even a "low temp" LCD will react very sluggishly when buttons are pressed.
    Btw: So far all the "low temp" models used the same module with slight modifications (different display layout or added moon/tide feature):
    G-9000
    GLS-5600
    GLS-5500
    G-7900
    GLX-6900
    GLS-100
    I don't know if the GLS-8900 will have a different module as I haven't seen the specs yet but I doubt it.

cheers, Sedi
    Hi Sedi, thanks for the reply! I don't understand the slow down bit.. you mean when you push the button it takes longer to respond? or the time starts to go by slower and the accuracy is affected?

all those models you listed are low temp as well?? i did not know that, I thought they were just for water sports people with the moon/tide graph.. and I thought the low temp ones only started last year with the gls100's??

I also did not know that you can change the display layout without changing the module.. this gls8900 has an all new layout will be interesting to see if it has a new module.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    I don't understand the slow down bit.. you mean when you push the button it takes longer to respond? or the time starts to go by slower and the accuracy is affected?
    LCD's generally go a bit 'sluggish' with low temps, it's just the display that will go sluggish , (although the low temp will have a separate effect on the time keeping electronics to some extent)

The segments take longer to actually activate as they are 'commanded' to activate electrically, it's just a display thing though.

I'm surprised you haven't seen a slow LCD yet in low temps.

Not sure if Casio use COG (chip on glass) or COB (chip on board) to make their modules?.

Here's an example of an LCD misbehaving in cold temps , there's a lag between him pressing the button and the function 'happening' on screen. (In normal temps that would all be pretty much instantaneous)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLAE8u_ieXI
    Last edited by watchma; August 27th, 2013 at 00:24.
    starscream and Sengyoku like this.

Hi Sedi, thanks for the reply! I don't understand the slow down bit.. you mean when you push the button it takes longer to respond? or the time starts to go by slower and the accuracy is affected?
    Yes, the display takes longer to respond. The accuracy is affected as well - but that is true for both - "low temp" and standard models - the "low temp" means only the LCD.

all those models you listed are low temp as well?? i did not know that, I thought they were just for water sports people with the moon/tide graph.. and I thought the low temp ones only started last year with the gls100's??
    Yes, the G-9000 was the first of the new generation "low temp" watches - there's the vintage models like the "WW" models of course - I think they were even specified to -30°C.

I also did not know that you can change the display layout without changing the module.. this gls8900 has an all new layout will be interesting to see if it has a new module.
    Yes, it's possible. You can even check the "real" module number or the "base" module as I call it - by using the "test screen" - simply press adj+mode+start/stop and you get to the test screen - then scroll through it with start/stop and you'll see the module version - in case of the G-7900 it's "3031.13" for example:

And 3031 is the module number of the G-9000 Mudman. There actually even was a case where a member suddenly had the moon-tide mode after a battery change - he accidentally unlocked that feature which was only later introduced in the G-7900 - that's how far Casio plans ahead - I found that pretty fascinating.

cheers, Sedi
    starscream and Sengyoku like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

I'm almost certain it's more low temp resistant than the regular LCD, but can't say by how much, which can only answer by Casio.
    If you don't mind me asking, is that even relevant since you're in New-Delhi.
    watchma and hantms like this.

JwY

Yeah, basically at low temperatures, a lot of the digital displays start ghosting. You can see it by just putting it in the freezer.

As for accuracy -- temperature affects quartz accuracy. That's why some of the more expensive quartz movements have thermocompensation.
    My Tissot Seastar 1000 (2011 Edition) Review:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/tis...on-560425.html

@Watchma thanks for the info and the vid! I have not seen LCD delay due to low temp cause i live in a warm place, in winter it goes to around 3*C at night, I think the lowest was 1.9*C this last winter, but all my LCD displays are inside the house where its a lot warmer..

@ggyy1276 I travel a lot, outside of India and within the country as well, it snows in the norther part of India, My wife is half Tibetan/Nepali so I go to Nepal sometimes where it also snows.. wanted that GLS8900 for Holiday purposes.. I might just wear it and go climb Mt Everest or something! lol who knows!

@Sedi thanks for the info! learnt some new stuff today! Including about that Test Screen! did not know about that! will try it out now. It is amazing how a person unlocked that moon/tide feature! wow!

It is amazing how a person unlocked that moon/tide feature! wow!
    Here's my thread about it:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mis...ed-316264.html
    And this is the original thread that caused quite a bit of cunfusion:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mud...re-245010.html

And there was another reported case of a "Mudman mystery":
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mud...ry-559209.html
    It looks like the modules have more "hidden features" and the Mudman module was possibly also used in a ana-digi model with moon-tide-feature. Really fascinating stuff IMO and tells us a lot about the ingenuity of the Casio engineers who design those modules.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; August 27th, 2013 at 00:53.
    Chrisek likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Here's my thread about it:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mis...ed-316264.html
    And this is the original thread that caused quite a bit of cunfusion:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mud...re-245010.html

cheers, Sedi
    Thanks! that was an interesting read!

also this Test Screen thing is a nice way of checking everything works.. will start doing that when I buy watches from now on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information