Which of these things can I scuba dive with?

Thread: Which of these things can I scuba dive with?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Which of these things can I scuba dive with?

Hello Everyone -

Please forgive me if this is a question that has already been addressed somewhere within the bowls of this forum, but I need some real-life feedback concerning depth ratings and water resistance of the various G-shocks.

I currently have a number of dive watches and I scuba dive frequently with my Seiko Orange Monster - it's great! My concern is that over time water will begin to enter the watch through the crown as the gasket wears/weakens. I've considered purchasing a G-Shock to act as my scuba watch but with the exception of the Frogman all other G-Shock models are not "officially" dive watches.

Which ones do you recommend? What are forum members actual real-life experiences with G-Shocks and scuba?

Cheers
    RCT
    RCT

Re: Which of these things can I scuba dive with?

Any of the 200 meter G's, Frogman models would probably be most preferable.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

You will be able to scuba with any of the G-Shocks, provided they are in good condition. I would be hesitant to do so with a vintage one just because you don't know how it was maintained, but even one that has had the battery replaced should be ok as long as the gasket was re-lubed or replaced. But if you're going with a new G, you will be fine with any model. Despite only the Frog carrying the ISO rating, all G's are rated to 200m and it's been proven that the watches are easily capable of doing that depth and more.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all, a watch's rubber gasket will degrade and fail after a period of time. Salt water, chlorine, grime will get into anything as long as you give enough time. That's why it's very important to rinse or soak your dive watch in tap or filtered water after every dive to let the salt and grime soak out.

Secondly, an analog dive watch's rubber gaskets should be similar to a digital dive watch's. It's just a matter of time for anything to fail, not if it's going to fail if you use something for any physical activity like diving.

Thirdly, I've used my atomic Mudman while diving, and it works as well as my Frogman, quartz Seiko Tuna or automatic Citizen dive watches. I don't use the buttons on the Mudman or Frogman while underwater, but I do press them before and after the dive.

Lastly, I haven't gone deep before, which I'm sure most of the other dive watch enthusiasts here don't too, so yes, it's safe to use any other G-shock for scuba.

Quote Originally Posted by cadguy View Post
    I don't use the buttons on the Mudman or Frogman while underwater, but I do press them before and after the dive.
    Is it recommended not to push the buttons while underwater? (I imagine the Frogman is designed for this but perhaps the others aren't?)

RCT
    RCT

I don't think Casio has ever publish anything about not using the buttons underwater. I've done it in a swimming pool, and the watch still works.

Anyone care to elaborate on this?

I'm pretty sure you are OK to depress the buttons while underwater.

Now bear in mind there may be some die hards around that won't even take their ISO dive watches in the shower for risk of damage...

But since this isn't posted in the General Public or Affordable’s Watch sections we probably won't get too many of them posting up...

All you have to do is search for water resistance and you'll see what I mean! It amazes me that some people buy watches and never actually wear them as they were intended to, or even wear them at all!

Thanks everyone, I'm getting some good info here.

Now can someone break it down for me and tell me what the basic difference is between the various G-Shock models? I get overwhelmed just looking at the different models available.

RCT
    RCT

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by rcoreytaylor View Post
    Now can someone break it down for me and tell me what the basic difference is between the various G-Shock models?
    the most basic differences are as follows:

- analog vs. digital vs. ana/digi
    - solar/atomic vs. non-solar/atomic
    - resincase/band vs. metalcase/band
    - rectangular shaped vs. round shaped
    - positive displays vs. negative displays
    - price range (from about 50 bucks to a couple thousand)

the thing is that the cheapest models are often the best. all g-shock's are capable to take a beating and also are capable for scuba diving. the secrets are in the multiple functions and from that point of view the most basic models are mostly unbeatable.

for instance, personally i'm not exactly the biggest fan of solar powered watches. i know they are very popular in this forum but just not for me. i find a good, high-capacity lithium battery (lifespan 5-15 years) much more convincing and reliable, than a watch which should always exposed to a light-source, to keep charged (and can fail nontheless).

i also do not feel the need for atomic timekeeping (anymore), since a modern quartz watch is very precise and there are only very few tasks in daily life which require always precise time down to the second. (the only task that comes to my mind is last second ebay sniping actually)

it is also well known that non-solar/atomic g-shock's often have much better functions than their solar/atomic counterparts (longer countdown timers, longer el-backlight duration, brighter el-backlight, louder and longer alarms etc.)

so, if you are looking for something rugged, reliable and low cost, my recommendation is to go with a basic (non-solar/atomic) model. of all the g-shock's i have had, still have and tried to date (a lot, believe me) the one i can recommend most is the G-7900. in my opinion you can't get much better than that. here is mine in olive-drab:

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    the most basic differences are as follows:

- analog vs. digital vs. ana/digi
    - solar/atomic vs. non-solar/atomic
    - resincase/band vs. metalcase/band
    - rectangular shaped vs. round shaped
    - positive displays vs. negative displays
    - price range (from about 50 bucks to a couple thousand)

the thing is that the cheapest models are often the best. all g-shock's are capable to take a beating and also are capable for scuba diving. the secrets are in the multiple functions and from that point of view the most basic models are mostly unbeatable.

for instance, personally i'm not exactly the biggest fan of solar powered watches. i know they are very popular in this forum but just not for me. i find a good, high-capacity lithium battery (lifespan 5-15 years) much more convincing and reliable, than a watch which should always exposed to a light-source, to keep charged (and can fail nontheless).

i also do not feel the need for atomic timekeeping (anymore), since a modern quartz watch is very precise and there are only very few tasks in daily life which require always precise time down to the second. (the only task that comes to my mind is last second ebay sniping actually)

it is also well known that non-solar/atomic g-shock's often have much better functions than their solar/atomic counterparts (longer countdown timers, longer el-backlight duration, brighter el-backlight, louder and longer alarms etc.)

so, if you are looking for something rugged, reliable and low cost, my recommendation is to go with a basic (non-solar/atomic) model. of all the g-shock's i have had, still have and tried to date (a lot, believe me) the one i can recommend most is the G-7900. in my opinion you can't get much better than that. here is mine in olive-drab:

cheers
    Nice straight forward myth killer pamphlet about G shock reality :)
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information