Thinking about TIME MEMO

Thread: Thinking about TIME MEMO

Thinking about TIME MEMO

I've been thinking my about the TIME MEMO feature on some G-Shocks-- more on how it could be useful. In particular, since I favor the looks of the MTG910 (black metal atomic solar, but no countdown timer ).

My potentially useful situation would be to track the actual start and end-time of a particular event-- the CASIO watch manual at least states this much, but more particularly, what kind of events?

- document what time you start work and end work
    - what time a metting started or ended
    - track when you leave for and get home from work
    - track when you leave for a bike ride (jog, exercise, etc.) and when you get back
    - document sunset and sunrise times at your exact spot

But, then how do you remember which was a "start" TIME MEMO record and which was a "stop" TIME MEMO record. A bit baffled on this one.

TIME MEMO is certainly a very user-active feature rather than a passive reminder feature. It doesn't augment one's memory, in fact, it seems that it rather requires more memory work from the user: for the user must remember for what event or action they pressed the TIME MEMO button to create a record in the first place. If the TIME MEMO is used only for one type of event, then that's not so difficult, I suppose, but if you are tracking multiple different events, then I could see it becoming very confusing to sort out which TIME MEMO records 1 through 30 get assigned to each respect different event.

Some of the applications for TIME MEMO that I could think of include:

- Tracking Productive Working Hours:
    It has been useful to me to use the stop-watch to track how long I work on a project over several days: I start the stop-watch when I work on the task, then stop it. I don't clear the stop-watch, and when I resume the work later in the day or on another day, the count goes on. Thus, I am a fan of the greater than 60 minute stop watch. However, using the stop-watch is great for tracking how much time I spent on a task, but it doesn't tell me when I worked on it. Herein lies a potential use for the TIME MEMO feature. When used together, the stop-watch and TIME MEMO features can help me track both how long I spent on a project and at what time of day I worked on it. Granted, I don't really need to track the time of day, rather the total hours are what's most important, but it could be a nice statistical track if plotted into a spreadsheet to look into when I was most productive on the task.

- Tracking on-time schedules
    One could use the TIME MEMO feature to document several schedule of arrival event:
    - tardiness: a student perpentually late for the start of class
    - public transportation: if you take a train or bus to/from work, you could track the on-time arrival of your transportation. Given several weeks of data you could project a time-frame window for how early or late the bus/train arrives
    - Airplane and Train Spotters (folks who enjoy watching airplanes and trains and document their sightings in terms of flight numbers, train numbers, etc.) might like a TIME MEMO feature to document the time of arrival of these activities

In general, it is well observed that the TIME MEMO feature is difficult, at best, to be a universally useful feature. I am really glad that it has been spoken in good standing for the documentation of when someone last took a medication! That is awesome! And, the multi-alarms useful to tell someone to take the next round of medications throughout the day!

The TIME MEMO is so different from the other modes/features on the G-Shocks. TIME MEMO is a very active feature (versus passive). The user engages it, and then it is over. There is nothing to set for it to accomplish in the future; ie, as a reminder to DO something. It does as advertised: records the time of an event. The biggest problem I have with the TIME MEMO is not so much its usefulness, but rather that you can't assign a TEXT MEMO to each TIME MEMO record-- or can you? If you are recording the TIME MEMO for several different events across the 30 record slots, you must rely purely on memory or envoke a pad and pencil to write the information down, thus one could just as easily jot down to paper the chrono information along with a text note.

As you can read, I have mixed feelings on the TIME MEMO feature-- struggling, encouraging-- to find some way to appreciate it in the fact that the MTG910 lacks a countdown timer.

With 5 daily alarms, I can see that one can use the alarms in place of a countdown timer with the matter of math to set the alarm to some time that equals what would be the countdown time. But, this is certainly not convenient, more so a hassle if one uses a 10, 15, 30, etc countdown on a regular basis.

I may just have to get a MTG910 to try it out. If nothing else, it would be a nice timepiece for which to have one Wave Ceptor in my collection.

And, the thinking on TIME MEMO continues....
    Last edited by jmathis; October 30th, 2006 at 06:25.
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

Re: Thinking about TIME MEMO

Quote Originally Posted by jmathis
    - public transportation: if you take a train or bus to/from work, you could track the on-time arrival of your transportation. Given several weeks of data you could project a time-frame window for how early or late the bus/train arrives
    Heh? For that we have schedules over here

Never used the time memo on my GW-300 so far...

Have a nice day,

Ad.

James, valiant effort to find a use for Time Memo.

It reminds me of the story of the little boy, who on his birthday rushes outside to find an eight foot tall pile of horse doo on the street. His enthusiasm is unabated as he says, I just know there's a pony in there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RWare View Post
    James, valiant effort to find a use for Time Memo.

It reminds me of the story of the little boy, who on his birthday rushes outside to find an eight foot tall pile of horse doo on the street. His enthusiasm is unabated as he says, I just know there's a pony in there.
    Thanks for the feedback, both of you.

I'd say that public transportation schedules in Albuquerque are more of a "goal", and the paper printed schedules a guideline. I once waited over an hour for a bus-- in fact one bus just blew by our stop (about 5 or 7 people waiting at the stop) and never stopped! I took an Amtrak train (and while I love train travel) from Albuquerque to Los Angeles-- 6 hours late arriving in LA!

The pony and doo is great!! I hope that is just mud on my face.

My wife actually gave me a good TIME MEMO use just a few minutes ago:
    She was trying to remember when she put our 18 month old son down for a nap. One could use either a stop watch or the TIME MEMO, for she truly wanted to know just how long he had slept. Using either stop watch or TIME MEMO, one does need to know a start and end time, but the TIME MEMO is a benefit to tract at what time of day he goes to sleep and wakes up... if that is important to know.
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

The start and stop time of a nap is a good use. Also, I just wanted to say I didn't mean my post as a put down to you. I was just remarking on your enthusiasm about really trying to find a use for time memo.

Quote Originally Posted by RWare View Post
    The start and stop time of a nap is a good use. Also, I just wanted to say I didn't mean my post as a put down to you. I was just remarking on your enthusiasm about really trying to find a use for time memo.
    No offense taken. No worries.

Yeah, I like the MTG-910 black metal style a lot. Like so many in WUS G-Shock world, I wish it had the countdown timer, as well. Oh, well. Right now I am nicely satisfied with my working OK rejuvenated G-5600J.

I still want to get a style with Wave Ceptor.
    I like to search for watches that complement one another.
    I have the assortment:
    - standard stainless steel G-7000D
    - Retro original style G-5600J
    - Beach-style sporting GL-150

Now I look for the black metal style with Wave Ceptor to be a different appearance and different feature to complement the above assortment of G-Shocks in my selection. I think the MTG-910 would be the nice addition...someday.

I like challenges, and I read so many reviews and comments about the useless TIME MEMO feature that I like to think hard to find a good use for it. So, I think the following to summarize, for those in favour of TIME MEMO:
    - record nap time
    - record medicine consumption time
    - record work time

I agree, that the TIME MEMO is not so useful for me, but I enjoy the challenge to think about it more. Thanks for listening.

My wife has the Baby-G BG-148. This BG-148 is neat having 5 multi-month/date alarms that can also be set to be weekly alarms by assigning the name of the day of the week to the alarm: i.e., the alarms can be set to go off every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc., at the same time. This is great for weekly meetings or sporting appointments! I wish all G-Shocks have this weekly alarm feature as a choice/option. But, the BG-148 does not have a countdown alarm! Bizaare ommission as also in the MTG-910. The Telememo on the BG-148 is also unique in that two telephone numbers can be assigned to each name: a regular phone number and a second phone number that has a cell phone icon assigned to it. Pretty cool!
    regards,
    James

I have asked about the time memo many times. I no longer have a watch with that feature. But i have to say, I think its a bit useless. but good tries at making it work for you!

One guy did respond that he took regular medication throughout the day. He used his time memo every time he took his pills. And using that, he could see if he missed a dose.

I guess its whatever works for you. Personally I never used mine.

Wink Re: Thinking about TIME MEMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    One guy did respond that he took regular medication throughout the day. He used his time memo every time he took his pills. And using that, he could see if he missed a dose.
    Ha ha Jeff,

If he had used a multi alarm feature, he wouldn't have missed one

I never have used the time stamp.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Ha ha Jeff,

If he had used a multi alarm feature, he wouldn't have missed one

I never have used the time stamp.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Yep. I see how the multi alarm is far more useful to be a reminder alert versus the TIME MEMO as a record-keeping function.
    regards,
    James

Thread Information