thinking of selling collection - Page 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: thinking of selling collection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    25%??? I thought it was 10%
    Ebay charges a small listing fee of like 30 cents and then a 10% final value fee. PayPal takes 3%. Then you need to pay for shipping and sometimes insurance if it is something valuable.

For example, sell a watch for $100 and offer free shipping, get $87 and pay around $4 to ship it first class mail, end up with $83 in the bank.

Putting it on the sales forums is a mistake in my experience because everyone expects to get a screaming rock bottom deal and people will tell you they will pay and then back out and waste your time asking dozens of questions only to back out at the last minute or low ball you. Who has time for that?

Ebay is the best exposure and best way to sell but there is a price you pay for that service. Fortunately they now have a global shipping program which works really well and cuts risks to buyers and sellers.

I have 15 years experience on ebay and I will almost always sell as "buy it now" with immediate payment required (so people can't buy and pay later-- they need to pay or the sale does not go through) and I offer global shipping ONLY through the global shipping program. I have had too many international parcels get lost to worry about shipping internationally myself anymore. Yes the buyers pay more for this service but it is safest for the seller.

And yes you will get more by selling individually so I would do that unless you have a group of parts that are not worth much on their own but as a group have a sort of synergy that entices someone to buy the lot.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; July 15th, 2015 at 19:37.
    cranx, Sjors, Rocat and 5 others like this.

Re: thinking of selling collection

I'm firmly in the "BOTH" camp.

Sell on WUS first. Whatever doesn't move after two weeks goes to eBay.

But I would ONLY sell them individually. That's not to say you can' do just ONE thread on WUS and list prices for each piece, but that's going to screw with your WatchRecon exposure. Now, if someone sees three different watches and wants all three, I'd only charge them once for shipping, as that is fair. But no discounts for buying all of them. You'll get shafted that way. Some GShocks already don't hold their value (Paid 150 for my G-9300 Mudman brand new and you can find them BNIB to lightly used for like 60 -- 80 bucks! Ouch), so no need to take a further hit on listing fees and the like.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Inactive

I agree with the poster above me. I could be persuaded to go for a negative or ms model (hint hint) if you have any.

Live long and prosper - Mr. Spock

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by garybrads View Post
    hi all g shock members,
    i'm thinking of selling my collection of g shocks, about 30/35,
    would it be best to advertise them on a certain auction site, on here ,individually or collectively??
    anyone had experience of selling a collection??
    need cash to fund new project and as much as i love watches, g shocks i think are going
    would love to here stories ect
    yours
    a sad collector
    My guess is you would get more individually & sell them faster. Depending on the quality of your collection, meaning if they are all NIB, very rare and or with papers would command more money, but more so individually. If you wanted to discuss prices and specifics you could talk to Sjors on this forum or in G-Shock Zone.
    'I think therefore I am' (Rene Descartes`, 1644)
    Think he meant, 'You can do anything if you put your mind to it!'

I delve into the intricacies of horology, but the laymen
    just wills me to enunciate more clearly? I conclude in knowing he
    is genetically resistant, and that is why I come here!

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    I'm firmly in the "BOTH" camp.

Sell on WUS first. Whatever doesn't move after two weeks goes to eBay.

But I would ONLY sell them individually. That's not to say you can' do just ONE thread on WUS and list prices for each piece, but that's going to screw with your WatchRecon exposure. Now, if someone sees three different watches and wants all three, I'd only charge them once for shipping, as that is fair. But no discounts for buying all of them. You'll get shafted that way. Some GShocks already don't hold their value (Paid 150 for my G-9300 Mudman brand new and you can find them BNIB to lightly used for like 60 -- 80 bucks! Ouch), so no need to take a further hit on listing fees and the like.
    really depends on how much patience you have and whether or not you need the funds for something else. you could wait for the guy at the end of the rainbow but who knows when hes going to turn up, plus its just good business sense to give a discount for multiples or the whole lot. saves the seller time making multiple trips to the PO and dealing with multiple buyers. so really the discount is just saving time and hassles and you only getting shafted if you say yes to a lowballer ;)
    ive done the discount on a bulk sell plenty of times when ive wanted to make some room and its worked well, im happy, buyer's happy, stuff is gone... get more stuff
    Last edited by soulbridgemedia; July 16th, 2015 at 10:23.
    Rocat likes this.
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

i thank you for your info,, will be selling individually and may start listing today

thanx for the info.,, will be selling on ebay and individually
    and yes beautiful neck of the woods is millbrook in cornwall,, and there are even some kiwis here

Melbourne (Studying) / Putrajaya Malaysia (Home)

Any links to your listing?

thinking of selling collection

Quote Originally Posted by Azfar_J View Post
    Any links to your listing?
    No links to sale posts in the regular forums, thanks.
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; July 18th, 2015 at 14:11.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information