Third-Party Strap Replacement on The G-SHOCK GD-120MB-1ER Watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike K

Thread: Third-Party Strap Replacement on The G-SHOCK GD-120MB-1ER Watch

Third-Party Strap Replacement on The G-SHOCK GD-120MB-1ER Watch

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing this watch, but it has a conventional G-SHOCK silicon strap, and I would want to replace it with a stainless steal one as I'm not a fan of the silicone G-SHOCK style of watch strap, so I wondering what size strap the watch would accommodate, because I've looked around and found out that the lug size is 16mm, but the back of the watch (example below) appears to have a few millimeters of extra room.

Thanks for the help,

- Jamie

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  23.0 KB

Re: Third-Party Strap Replacement on The G-SHOCK GD-120MB-1ER Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Chaos View Post
    Hello,

I'm considering purchasing this watch, but it has a conventional G-SHOCK silicon strap, and I would want to replace it with a stainless steal one as I'm not a fan of the silicone G-SHOCK style of watch strap, so I wondering what size strap the watch would accommodate, because I've looked around and found out that the lug size is 16mm, but the back of the watch (example below) appears to have a few millimeters of extra room.

Thanks for the help,

- Jamie
    This comes up often. I suspect Mike K (our Mikipedia) will answer this, as he has answered many similar queries.

Re: Third-Party Strap Replacement on The G-SHOCK GD-120MB-1ER Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Chaos View Post

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  23.0 KB

That "extra room" is only on PART of the strap lug, and is designed so that people can more easily reach the springbars with a springbar tool (or tiny screwdriver or other tool). If that extra room weren't there, as is common on many leather straps, the person changing the strap would have to press against and compact the strap material as they worked the springbar out of the hole, and Casio's resin strap material is fairly dense and hard to compress.

Here's another view of the BACK of the strap, where you can see the spaces for the springbar:

Name:  GD-120-2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  32.7 KB

Those dimensions are from another model with a 16mm lug width -- the GD-120 is PROBABLY 26mm wide at the widest point, but it's definitely wider than 16mm.

The problem you may face when installing an aftermarket strap is that you'll need another strap of a similar width that also tapers down to 16mm or so at the lugs -- if you use a strap that's 16mm for its entire length it's going to look like a giant G-Shock on a women's dress watch bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    This comes up often. I suspect Mike K (our Mikipedia) will answer this, as he has answered many similar queries.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence -- hopefully that answer made sense!
    GaryK30 and Kev55 like this.

Thread Information